Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chest seals are out, and tourniquets are in

Doing a medical first responder recert and was interesting to hear now that we're supposed to gauze and tape a sucking chest wound vs the 3 side chest seal. Replacing the gauze whenever it becomes blood soaked. So air can go in and out, but blood isn't allowed to pool.

And for the first time, tourniquet use is part of the course. However briefly covered.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

I got tourniquet training for the first time about a year and a half ago. More or less freshly introduced, it was actively discouraged in previous courses I took. Which I thought was funny because they showed us how to improvise one out of a triangle bandage in the first aid videos they made us watch in junior high and 4-H.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Tourniquet was taught in my EMR course 4+ years ago.

Is there a reason for the switch to gauze vs the seal on a sucking chest wound? The issue with that injury is less about blood pooling than air entering the body cavity aka pneumothorax...

I'll have to follow up on this with my governing body and see if that's an official change for us. Which organization was doing your training?
    I'd rather make a difference than a dollar.

4. The Following User Liked This Post By FlyingHigh

Camo tung (10-24-2020)

Took my first aid couple weeks ago. We were still taught to tape three sides and we were also taught how to use a tourniquets.

Our instruction joked about them saying every three years they change their minds on the use of them. Then change it back.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingHigh View Post
    Tourniquet was taught in my EMR course 4+ years ago.

Is there a reason for the switch to gauze vs the seal on a sucking chest wound? The issue with that injury is less about blood pooling than air entering the body cavity aka pneumothorax...

I'll have to follow up on this with my governing body and see if that's an official change for us. Which organization was doing your training?
    We're trained by island ems is all I know.
    gauze vs seal so that air can enter and leave the cavity. I don't really get it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    We're trained by island ems is all I know.
    gauze vs seal so that air can enter and leave the cavity. I don't really get it myself.
    That just sounds wrong. The whole point is to keep air from entering the cavity. I'd really like to hear their reasoning behind this practice and the source which is telling them to do it this way.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingHigh View Post
    That just sounds wrong. The whole point is to keep air from entering the cavity. I'd really like to hear their reasoning behind this practice and the source which is telling them to do it this way.
    Island EMS is the only paramedic service here, and they work with the government and the PEIFFA. I assume they're adopting it from somewhere. I'll see if I can ask tomorrow.

9. The Following User Liked This Post By lone-wolf

FlyingHigh (10-24-2020)

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Sounds like you and I did the same course. My only other one was 38 years ago. The instructor was older than I am and we got to talking. 95% of the stuff I learned then is the same today. He said theyve changed back and forth on some things 10 times since I took my original course. The only thing that we never addressed back in the 80s and that he touched on a fair bit was the legal aspect. Now youre supposed to walk up to the person....tell them your name, tell them you are a firstaider, and ask them if they would like your help. No response is a default yes. I kind of figure that if you're in obvious distress and cant help yourself, you're getting my help by default. If you can tell me yes, then you can tell me no too. If theres ever a problem later, Ill just say I asked and they said yes.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    Island EMS is the only paramedic service here, and they work with the government and the PEIFFA. I assume they're adopting it from somewhere. I'll see if I can ask tomorrow.
    Good stuff. If you can figure out the source, I'll shoot off an email to the Alberta College of Paramedics and see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    Sounds like you and I did the same course. My only other one was 38 years ago. The instructor was older than I am and we got to talking. 95% of the stuff I learned then is the same today. He said theyve changed back and forth on some things 10 times since I took my original course. The only thing that we never addressed back in the 80s and that he touched on a fair bit was the legal aspect. Now youre supposed to walk up to the person....tell them your name, tell them you are a firstaider, and ask them if they would like your help. No response is a default yes. I kind of figure that if you're in obvious distress and cant help yourself, you're getting my help by default. If you can tell me yes, then you can tell me no too. If theres ever a problem later, Ill just say I asked and they said yes.
    The big one that changes regularly is CPR. My most recent update pushed out by the Alberta College of Paramedics, Red Cross and St. John's Ambulance is that doing the breaths is not strictly required. If you need to perform CPR and don't have a face shield, just doing compressions will suffice. The main goal is pump oxygenated blood around the body. While doing compressions, you're pumping the heart but are also pumping the lungs to a small extent. Physics dictates that a small amount of oxgyen will be taken in this way and that's enough for the purposes of CPR.

I should also mention in a through & through chest wound, at least one side - preferably the back, would be sealed completely.
    That hasn't changed from what I recall.

13. The Following User Liked This Post By lone-wolf

FlyingHigh (10-24-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast