Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Canadian ForcesMember
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug_M View Post
    I was a member of the Canadian Scottish Regiment from '88 to '95. Who did you accompany if you don't mind me asking?
    I was accompanied by Andreas (Andy) Werner. He left the Army about 1982.
    Waiting for first light. Shook hands with the devil.

Canadian ForcesMember
    I have a number of family who have had many years wearing a uniform. I am on pension after 34 years of service, my next younger brother after 41 years of regular and reserve service, my youngest brother after 25 years, and my father had 31years after starting during Korea.. My father-in-law had 28 and my mother-in-law had 5. My grandfather joined the Army on Sept 2, 1939 and stayed until 1947. One uncle was a Bren gunner with the Seaforth Highlanders across Holland into Germany. Another uncle was a stoker in the RCN during WWII.

I have an uncle who left the Canadian Army to become a Green Beret and died in Viet Nam. I have two great uncles with their names on the Vimy memorial whose bodies were never recovered in northern France during WWI. I have a nephew who is still serving today. I have another nephew who just left the Army after one tour in Bosnia and four in Afghanistan.

That is just in the last 100 years.
    Waiting for first light. Shook hands with the devil.

3. The Following 6 Users Like This Post By Tonsper

Camo tung (11-16-2020), Doug_M (11-12-2020), FlyingHigh (11-12-2020), GTW (11-12-2020), kennymo (11-16-2020), Swingerguy (11-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Tonsper View Post
    I was accompanied by Andreas (Andy) Werner. He left the Army about 1982.
    A bit before my time, I'm afraid I don't know Andy. Though I'm sure we both served with some of the same people.
    Liberate Hong Kong, revolution of our times [#uc# you CCP!]

Canadian ForcesMember Billythreefeathers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by t_glover View Post
    Every year on remembrance day I take out my great uncle Sam Mullagan's and my great grand father John Stott's medals and look at them.
    I have to say it is a very eerie feeling.
    My uncle lied about his age and joined the Royal Irish Rifles when he was thirteen years old very early in world war two.
    He survived the war but had shrapnel injuries and hearing loss. I met him when I was seven years old forty four years ago, he was a great person.
    My uncle was awarded the Médaille Militaire the third highest award for bravery in France.

Attachment 28195
    My Great Uncle Sam receiving the Médaille Militaire on the battlefield in France.

Attachment 28196
    Sam's medals.

Attachment 28197
    My great Grandfather's medals from the Boer war and world war one.
    My great grandfather died in the battle of Festubert on May 15 1915 and is buried there.

My great grandfather second from the left either going to or returning from the Boer war.

I also lost my grandfather Lewis Glover. He was in the police in Liverpool. During the German blitz aircraft would fly over the cities
    and drop incendiary bombs to illuminate the area so the bombers would be able to see where to drop the bombs.
    Every able bodied person was out throwing sand bags on the incendiary bombs. A incendiary bomb exploded and my grandfather was seriously injured.
    He died a few hours later on the floor of a makeshift hospital on Christmas eve 1939.

These and so many others made the ultimate sacrifice for us It really saddens me that I see it slowly slipping away.

Terry
    what Unit is that,,, very few Canadian Units served as Calvary in the Boer war

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12