Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
    I bought a bicycle light at princess auto a couple years ago.
    It's small, inexpensive, and has a steady light and strobe setting.
    You can get them in white or red.
    20201116_112530.jpg
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

2. The Following User Liked This Post By Dewey Cox

Hidyn (11-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    If I’m headed deep into the woods, an old pill bottle stuffed with cotton balls that have been dipped in Vaseline goes with me. You can make a multi year supply for about $4 if you buy the ingredients at the dollar store.
    I keep a ziploc bag with a handful in it. I mash the petroleum jelly in until it's totally saturated.

When you pull out a pinch and pull it apart to stringy threads, it'll catch a spark off even cheap ferro rods and give you a good flame for tinder.

I've upgraded to a Doan Machine and Tool magnesium and ferro rod kit. It beats the pants off those coughlan ones. You can tell how much purer the magnesium is and the rod isn't supposed to fall out ever

That's not to say I don't keep three or four bics on hand all the time.

Signal mirrors are pretty interesting when you know how to use them. I started keeping one with me to play with, it's fun to see how far you can get someone's attention with it.
    "You can break the surgical procedure of removing an appendix down into about 30-35 individual steps – each of which is not overly complicated or beyond an enthusiastic amateur."

-Survival and Austere Medicine, 3rd ed.

Bic is my go to. My big pack has a container of stormproof matches (and some cheap wood ones for lighting cigars). I’ve got a Light My Fire ferro rod, which seems OK, other than it’s a fair bit smaller than the ones all the survival guys seem to tote around. Only used it a couple of times just for the hell of it. It will ignite the pulled apart cotton balls and finely feathered fat wood.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

5. The Following User Liked This Post By kennymo

Hidyn (11-16-2020)

I've seen those giant ferro rods, at least on youtube. Those little ones last a good long time though. I've had some fat wood sitting around that I picked up I should try it on.

One day I'm going to graduate to friction fires!
    "You can break the surgical procedure of removing an appendix down into about 30-35 individual steps – each of which is not overly complicated or beyond an enthusiastic amateur."

-Survival and Austere Medicine, 3rd ed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123