Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    "...3+ hours with..." You would have saved most of that time and a pile of patches if you'd have plugged the muzzle, filled the barrel with solvent and left it for an hour or so. Gives the solvent time to work.
    This is not necessarily a good idea. Some aggressive solvents can leach materials out of the metal and leave the bore rough or pitted.

Justice, those 'down the bore' pics are useless. As I've said, the mirror needs to be used to see the rifling and as Suputin says the radial marks are just machine marks. Only 'custom' barrels will show little or no marks like that. I've seen pics of hand-lapped barrels that are virtually smooth, but those barrels alone cost waayy more than my $200 Marlin.

I once saw a custom barrel that had a helical gouge all the way down the chamber. It was like a chip got caught in the reamer when the smith slowly retracted it from the chamber.

I've got an AR barrel we used for testing various muzzle devices under extreme conditions and the gas port looks like a ski jump. It is totally eroded on the front edge. The rifling past that is in awful condition but the thing keeps going BANG so it keeps getting used.

If you want to see what a true bore scope shows, something like this review of the Hawkeye bore scope is an example:

https://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...eye-borescope/

Later in the page there is a review of a Teslong digital borescope, which isn't the same sharpness as optical, but is better than many endoscopes.

The reviews show knowledge of the reading of the tea leaves I do not have. I don't even know what fire cracking is.

Neat reviews. my Teslong looks better than that vid but again that's video transferred to a P then to the website then played on another pc. As I've said, the "Live" video looks better than copies, just the nature of the software. Maybe better software would improve the Teslong? Fire cracking is the 'alligator' surface, like old paint in the sun. Prob from overheating the barrel like when running a semi fast with lots of mags. My .223 Ruger Am has a bit of that but I bought it used years ago - pencil barrel shot too hot. Spots like this in the first half of the barrel - this is where rifling starts. In Live video you can also see along the sides, better than this pic. Pretty clear pic here, and came pretty clean with Boretech C4. It was Black with copper streaks after 'regular' cleaning until I got the C4.

[IMG][/IMG]

AR Gas Port.jpg

Didn't even know I had a pic of it. This is the eroded gas port on my AR test bbl. Pic was taken with a proper borescope .... even though it is shite.

Bullet travel is bottom to top

Nice pic there. I checked and I don't have a 'still pic' of the my SKS gas port and I found it on one of my vids. When I freeze the vid, it goes blurry, so I'll take a pic when I clean the SKS again. I think that the pic of my .223 above is pretty clear for a $70 Teslong - not taken out of a vid, just a still pic.

Eddie, thanks for your posts. I ordered one of those teslongs, one can never have enough tools

10. The Following User Liked This Post By LB303

Stew (11-21-2020)

I have to learn how to take pictures with my scope.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    There is no place in an anti's head where reason can enter. from a Napoleon saying with a tweak.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because thatís the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast