Need help with my Mossberg 500 12 gauge

Okay so I got my PAL about a year ago now first purchase was a Mossberg 500 combo, comes with a 28" and a 18" barrel. I've shot the gun with both barrels and I've noticed that the 28" and the 18" have a gap where the screw and the tube meet, I am able to close the gap but you really have to crank it ( i used vise grips the first time bad idea I know, only on the 18 though) . Now I'm just paranoid that something will go wrong while I'm shooting it. I'm just really asking if its normal?

I can send pictures through email if needed.
    Last edited by marco1547; 01-14-2021 at 01:15 AM.

Thats normal. Dont use visegrips. From what I recall, the manual didnt specify so. The bolt locks into the barrel so the forces doesnt act on the receiver alone. It is made with an aluminun receiver.

okay thank you. yeah I wont be using vise grips again wasn't smart.

Quote Originally Posted by SwissArmyMan View Post
    Thats normal. Dont use visegrips. From what I recall, the manual didnt specify so. The bolt locks into the barrel so the forces doesnt act on the receiver alone. It is made with an aluminun receiver.
    Is this not the type of barrel nut that has a ball bearing detent in it? I know one type of pump shotgun has the little grooves and a ball bearing that helps hold everything together, so there is always a tiny gap because of the space taken up by the bearing.

So, yes, in a lot of these this will be the norm.
    "So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause..."

Quote Originally Posted by Aniest View Post
    Is this not the type of barrel nut that has a ball bearing detent in it? I know one type of pump shotgun has the little grooves and a ball bearing that helps hold everything together, so there is always a tiny gap because of the space taken up by the bearing.

So, yes, in a lot of these this will be the norm.
    Dont think so. Will check when I get back home.
    The bolt assembly has a lug at the roof of the assembly & a notch at the top of the receiver. This locks it into place.

Refer to your manual for removing barrels.