Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Range rules

Range rules

Our strictly outdoor range is updating our range rules to allow pistols to be holstered, unloaded with the action closed while not standing directly on the firing line. A couple of guys are against this because they feel some people will display terror at the sight of a holstered pistol.

I need to find a list of ranges that allow holstered pistols in order to take this back to the board and present a case once and for all that guns are not to be feared.

Any help I can get would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Member ~ NFA (for now), CSSA

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    As far as I know, our range - Genesee - operated by the Canadian Historical Arms Society or CHAS for short doesn't have any rules about guns being in holsters. Maybe ask these alleged people to come forward and make their case...then ask them if they run at the sight of a cop with a gun in a holster as well....that is assuming these people actually exist and aren't just fiction made up by one or two people in order to get their way and divert blame from themselves.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Is this in Alta?

Medicine Hat Rifle and Revolver Club allows holsters. Most holster user are involved in IPSC, IDPA, or cowboy action. Firearms must be unloaded when not on the firing line, revolver cylinders must be completely empty and pistols must have empty chamber and no magazine. Holsters must be strong side, except for cowboy action which allows cross draw. Shoulder holsters are not permitted.

Quote Originally Posted by armycat View Post
    Medicine Hat Rifle and Revolver Club allows holsters. Most holster user are involved in IPSC, IDPA, or cowboy action. Firearms must be unloaded when not on the firing line, revolver cylinders must be completely empty and pistols must have empty chamber and no magazine. Holsters must be strong side, except for cowboy action which allows cross draw. Shoulder holsters are not permitted.
    This is what I'm talkin' about!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smokechecker View Post
    Is this in Alta?

Yes...Edmonton area.
    GOC moderator
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

If you want to draw and shoot from a holster at our club you must have training in doing so from what ever discipline you are associated with (CAS, IPSC, etc.). If you want to draw and shoot from a holster and are not part of a section such as CAS and IPSC where training is provided (and required before you can shoot this way), then you must attend a club sponsored "holster course" which gets you your basics. It isn't a matter of the fear of seeing someone with a holstered firearm that is the problem, it's due diligence on the part of the club to make sure people are safe. Those that have been trained to draw and shoot from a holster know that it isn't as simple and straight forward as most people think .. at least doing so safely isn't, it requires a little training. This was voted on by our club members, not dreamed up by the Executive. Members were seeing people with obviously no training at all strapping on holsters and trying to draw and shoot as fast the could .. My personal feeling is training is a requirement for drawing and shooting from a holster, call me a fud or what ever, if people don't learn the safe way, then they are learning the wrong way. Most clubs can not afford the liability of turning a blind eye to unsafe behavior.

On Vancouver Island, there are several ranges that allow holstering of pistols and revolvers during cease fire sessions, of course after unloading, actions cleared and magazines out. Generally, these folks participate in shooting sports that utilize holsters, eg IPSC, IDPA, Cowboy Action, etc. Most of these have specific holster safety training given by the respective subsidiary clubs with the main club. I am not sure how they handle the general membership or the public.

Quote Originally Posted by TPK View Post
    If you want to draw and shoot from a holster at our club you must have training in doing so from what ever discipline you are associated with (CAS, IPSC, etc.). If you want to draw and shoot from a holster and are not part of a section such as CAS and IPSC where training is provided (and required before you can shoot this way), then you must attend a club sponsored "holster course" which gets you your basics. It isn't a matter of the fear of seeing someone with a holstered firearm that is the problem, it's due diligence on the part of the club to make sure people are safe. Those that have been trained to draw and shoot from a holster know that it isn't as simple and straight forward as most people think .. at least doing so safely isn't, it requires a little training. This was voted on by our club members, not dreamed up by the Executive. Members were seeing people with obviously no training at all strapping on holsters and trying to draw and shoot as fast the could .. My personal feeling is training is a requirement for drawing and shooting from a holster, call me a fud or what ever, if people don't learn the safe way, then they are learning the wrong way. Most clubs can not afford the liability of turning a blind eye to unsafe behavior.
    Just to clarify...the OP isn't asking about rules on drawing and firing from a holster....just about walking around with a gun in a holster. Some people don't like to leave their stuff sitting on a bench when they change targets and what have you. Some people just like to walk around with a holster on because they can. To each his own.
    GOC moderator
    www.tundrasupply.ca

In the thriving metropolis of Beiseker AB.
    I understand the need for safety, as well as needing to know how to use your own gear properly, (get trained). But for the issue of fear of a holstered pistol? Why is that person at the range? Again it comes down to training and safety, maybe we need a beginners night once a month to help curb there fear by teaching respect. Knowledge is empowering.
    You had me at Bacon

NFA

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast