Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    Doug,

Another interesting idea, and I was planning that route for my grey guns that I don't want on any lists. I have all sorts of PAL friends with room in their safes.
    I know it's been done (legally) by others who've gone on short postings or long deployments. With how the CFO is behaving, your only other option would seem to be to re-barrel it without informing the CFO and hope that on re-entry that doesn't get noticed. It probably wouldn't, but it is still a risk.

Doug, I think I've made up my mind to take it with me, with a longer barrel on it.

This is a perfect example of a lawful gun owner trying to bend over backwards to make everyone happy, and I think the best all-around option to show that I'm working in good faith to do my due diligence is swap it to 16" just before going to the US, and putting it back to 10" just before coming back.

Heck, on the side of the road in the back of my SUV if I have to, 100m short of the border.

As others have said above, though, I think the lesser of all evils is to have a longer barrel on it while still in Canada, as opposed to being in the US with a SBR.

I don't like the thought of physically being separated from it, though. Not because I'm in love with the thing, but I don't want to put my friends in a weird situation where they're responsible for something that obviously has a spotlight on it. And what if they pass away while I'm gone? Then I'd have to come back and sort it out, etc.

Keeping it with me is the best option, after weighing all pros and cons. It may get to enjoy the wild for a few years, kind of like a house cat that is allowed to roam the woods, and then re-worry about things in 3-4 years coming back.
    I have no signature block.

3. The Following User Liked This Post By Petamocto

Doug_M (02-23-2021)

If you can identify as an overrepresented group under the proposed Bill C-22 there won't even be a mandatory minimum penalty either!

"Importing or exporting knowing it is unauthorized
    Subsection 103(2.1): formerly a MMP of 1 year"
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

Quote Originally Posted by Camo tung View Post
    If you can identify as an overrepresented group under the proposed Bill C-22 there won't even be a mandatory minimum penalty either!

"Importing or exporting knowing it is unauthorized
    Subsection 103(2.1): formerly a MMP of 1 year"
    If you can identify as whatever gender you want, I suppose I can identify as whatever other protected grounds there are.

I identify as Native Aboriginal First Nation Indigenous, so I'd appreciate all of my back taxes since I started working.

I also identify as 65, which means I'm immediately entitled to the maxed out pension.
    I have no signature block.

6. The Following User Liked This Post By Petamocto

Camo tung (02-23-2021)

If you can identify as whatever gender you want, I suppose I can identify as whatever other protected grounds there are.

I identify as Native Aboriginal First Nation Indigenous, so I'd appreciate all of my back taxes since I started working.

I also identify as 65, which means I'm immediately entitled to the maxed out pension.

This seems like the most reasonable course of action that would appease all of the SJW types in places of power, scattered throughout our government. Quadrupling down on the identity is smart, there’s no way they can deny you when you have that level of commitment.
    Let us know how it goes.

8. The Following User Liked This Post By Swingerguy

Camo tung (02-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Suputin View Post
    Well ....... seeing as what is written in that execrable document the lieberals pushed out, you had probably not tell them anything if you sell an upper. AFAIK uppers were classed as Prohib along with the lowers.

Prior to last May there was no requirement to tell the govt anything regarding upper receivers.
    Nah son, I meant that one sold the uppers april 30th.
    A harmless man is not a good man. A good man is a very dangerous man who has that under voluntary control.
    -Jordan Peterson

CLW,

I have already called the ATF, they seem to be quite reasonable people. Even though they're the agency involved with Firearm enforcement, they don't seem to give off that "we're out to get you" vibe that the CFO's office does.

As for import/export, that's not what I was originally going to do. My post above was just saying what I would have to do in order to do it that way, based on your import/export idea, but like we both concluded, there's no way I'd be getting it back in.

My original idea was just to bring them with me (still as a Canadian PAL holder, which the US doesn't care about), which is what a lot of my friends have done. Generally, all the US cares about is that you go back and forth with the same list of guns, other than the rare few types the ATF controls (automatic, Russian/Chinese, and short barreled rifles).

This route does not involve importing or exporting, because the guns are still mine, a Canadian citizen. It's in the same category as a Canadian going down there for hunting or a shooting competition, just with longer dates.

All my friends who have done this have had to show proof of a hunting license as well, which meets the requirement. You could show a moose license and cross the border with only a 22 handgun, they don't care.

Doug,

Another interesting idea, and I was planning that route for my grey guns that I don't want on any lists. I have all sorts of PAL friends with room in their safes.
    My experiences with that ATF office have always been excellent.
    Gun Control is about making it unlawful for you to use, carry, or possess a firearm.

All restrictions/prohibitions on the use, carriage, or possession of firearms must be repealed.

Middle ground?

What middle ground?

Doug, I think I've made up my mind to take it with me, with a longer barrel on it.

This is a perfect example of a lawful gun owner trying to bend over backwards to make everyone happy, and I think the best all-around option to show that I'm working in good faith to do my due diligence is swap it to 16" just before going to the US, and putting it back to 10" just before coming back.

Heck, on the side of the road in the back of my SUV if I have to, 100m short of the border.

As others have said above, though, I think the lesser of all evils is to have a longer barrel on it while still in Canada, as opposed to being in the US with a SBR.

I don't like the thought of physically being separated from it, though. Not because I'm in love with the thing, but I don't want to put my friends in a weird situation where they're responsible for something that obviously has a spotlight on it. And what if they pass away while I'm gone? Then I'd have to come back and sort it out, etc.

Keeping it with me is the best option, after weighing all pros and cons. It may get to enjoy the wild for a few years, kind of like a house cat that is allowed to roam the woods, and then re-worry about things in 3-4 years coming back.
    Have you seem/submitted a Form6NIA before?

They want your PAL# and then information on the firearms(manufacture, type, caliber, model, barrel length, overall length, serial number) they don't care about the registration. So go ahead and change the barrel length to 16" and state that on your application. The problem I think you'll have is the ATF will not approve your rifle as you can't take it back into Canada when you leave. I've heard second hand that serval rifles previously allowed in where rejected on new application.( Mini-14, AR)

Here's the email for inquires imports@atf.gov

Like CLW.45 my experiences in dealing with the ATF have been excellent

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123