Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28
  1. #11
    Senior Member play.soccer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Republic of Alberta
    Posts
    1,370
    So what's the punishment for not telling the cfo you sold the uppers?
    A harmless man is not a good man. A good man is a very dangerous man who has that under voluntary control.
    -Jordan Peterson

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    5,330
    Quote Originally Posted by play.soccer View Post
    So what's the punishment for not telling the cfo you sold the uppers?
    Well ....... seeing as what is written in that execrable document the lieberals pushed out, you had probably not tell them anything if you sell an upper. AFAIK uppers were classed as Prohib along with the lowers.

    Prior to last May there was no requirement to tell the govt anything regarding upper receivers.

  3. The Following User Liked This Post By Suputin

    Camo tung (02-22-2021)

  4. #13
    Senior Member CLW .45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3,941
    Export it without the barrel.

    You can buy one in the States.
    Gun Control is about making it unlawful for you to use, carry, or possess a firearm.

    All restrictions/prohibitions on the use, carriage, or possession of firearms must be repealed.

    Middle ground?

    What middle ground?

  5. #14
    Senior Member Petamocto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Rusagonis/Waasis, NB
    Posts
    7,171
    Quote Originally Posted by CLW .45 View Post
    Export it without the barrel.

    You can buy one in the States.
    It's not as simple as that, because I'm there on temporary terms. The way it works, I have to enter the US and leave the US with the exact same list.

    You're right that technically I can buy more stuff when I get there, as long as I sell it before I come back, so I'm re-entering with the same list.

    I think what you're talking about is importing it formally, like the way IRunGuns does it, so it would become a gun formally in the US and not Canada, and then I'd have to do the IRunGuns thing coming back to Canada.

    My risk with that option is that Canada may allow Canadians to own the ARs they had in 2020, but cut off all future imports.

    That's why I didn't want to go that route, because I could neuter myself from ever being able to own one.

    If I take the AR there as a lawful Canadian owner, it may ironically actually allow me to keep it in four years.
    I have no signature block.

  6. #15
    Senior Member CLW .45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3,941
    Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    It's not as simple as that, because I'm there on temporary terms. The way it works, I have to enter the US and leave the US with the exact same list.

    You're right that technically I can buy more stuff when I get there, as long as I sell it before I come back, so I'm re-entering with the same list.

    I think what you're talking about is importing it formally, like the way IRunGuns does it, so it would become a gun formally in the US and not Canada, and then I'd have to do the IRunGuns thing coming back to Canada.

    My risk with that option is that Canada may allow Canadians to own the ARs they had in 2020, but cut off all future imports.

    That's why I didn't want to go that route, because I could neuter myself from ever being able to own one.

    If I take the AR there as a lawful Canadian owner, it may ironically actually allow me to keep it in four years.
    Barring a miracle, you aren’t getting that rifle, or any portion of it, back into Canada.

    Last time I looked, ATF is not allowing temporary import of any firearm on the OIC ban list.

    So, you call IRunGuns and have them import without barrel, or you leave it in Canada.

    Perhaps you should call ATF.
    Gun Control is about making it unlawful for you to use, carry, or possess a firearm.

    All restrictions/prohibitions on the use, carriage, or possession of firearms must be repealed.

    Middle ground?

    What middle ground?

  7. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    North Vancouver
    Posts
    2,754
    Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    It's not as simple as that, because I'm there on temporary terms. The way it works, I have to enter the US and leave the US with the exact same list.
    Here in lies the issue as Canada will not let you bring it back, because of this the ATF will not issue you a Form6NIA as you can't take them with you when you leave. No point in going through this if the ATF will not bring in the AR.

    That being said I'd talk to the ATF and see what parts you can bring in. Do the other parts require paperwork to bring in?

  8. #17
    Senior Member CLW .45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3,941
    Quote Originally Posted by ESnel View Post
    Here in lies the issue as Canada will not let you bring it back, because of this the ATF will not issue you a Form6NIA as you can't take them with you when you leave. No point in going through this if the ATF will not bring in the AR.

    That being said I'd talk to the ATF and see what parts you can bring in. Do the other parts require paperwork to bring in?
    Canada customs are refusing importation of parts that have paperwork mentioning the AR, even when they are also designed for other firearms.

    Temporary import of firearms and ammunition requires return to Canada.

    If a part was temporarily importable, it would also require return to Canada.

    Parts for those prohibs can’t be returned, and could not therefore be temporarily imported.

    Or so it seems.
    Gun Control is about making it unlawful for you to use, carry, or possess a firearm.

    All restrictions/prohibitions on the use, carriage, or possession of firearms must be repealed.

    Middle ground?

    What middle ground?

  9. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    North Vancouver
    Posts
    2,754
    Quote Originally Posted by CLW .45 View Post
    Canada customs are refusing importation of parts that have paperwork mentioning the AR, even when they are also designed for other firearms.

    Temporary import of firearms and ammunition requires return to Canada.

    If a part was temporarily importable, it would also require return to Canada.

    Parts for those prohibs can’t be returned, and could not therefore be temporarily imported.

    Or so it seems.
    While only the upper/lowers are prohibited some overzealous government dicks(GAC) are re interpreting the prohibited list as meaning all AR related parts are prohibited. Right now my understanding is that's a crap shoot with delays and in some cases refusal.

    I haven't brought in anything for a while and not in this new political climate so while GAC is wrong it doesn't mean they aren't overstepping. I think maybe inquires to importers can share some real world experience, think of Azteck and others.

    As we all know being right or following the law is no protection.

  10. #19
    Senior Member Doug_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    13,559
    As you are there temporarily perhaps you need to declare some place else as your official address for storage (i.e. buy/install a gun safe in a relative's house) and then not take any guns with you at all. Buy something in the US when you get there then sell it before you leave.

  11. The Following User Liked This Post By Doug_M

    Camo tung (02-23-2021)

  12. #20
    Senior Member Petamocto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Rusagonis/Waasis, NB
    Posts
    7,171
    CLW,

    I have already called the ATF, they seem to be quite reasonable people. Even though they're the agency involved with Firearm enforcement, they don't seem to give off that "we're out to get you" vibe that the CFO's office does.

    As for import/export, that's not what I was originally going to do. My post above was just saying what I would have to do in order to do it that way, based on your import/export idea, but like we both concluded, there's no way I'd be getting it back in.

    My original idea was just to bring them with me (still as a Canadian PAL holder, which the US doesn't care about), which is what a lot of my friends have done. Generally, all the US cares about is that you go back and forth with the same list of guns, other than the rare few types the ATF controls (automatic, Russian/Chinese, and short barreled rifles).

    This route does not involve importing or exporting, because the guns are still mine, a Canadian citizen. It's in the same category as a Canadian going down there for hunting or a shooting competition, just with longer dates.

    All my friends who have done this have had to show proof of a hunting license as well, which meets the requirement. You could show a moose license and cross the border with only a 22 handgun, they don't care.

    Doug,

    Another interesting idea, and I was planning that route for my grey guns that I don't want on any lists. I have all sorts of PAL friends with room in their safes.
    I have no signature block.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •