Page 143 of 168 FirstFirst ... 4393133139140141142143144145146147153 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 1675

Thread: Inflation

You must be talking about something else. Did you read the article? That's what I'm referring to. What are you referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    Sunscreen when I was a kid was being outside from the time the first flake of snow melted until you were a baked dark brown when school started again. Swimming in Lake Huron for hours, pretty much on a daily basis and going out in the boat fishing with dad and who ever else showed up. A lot of weekends spent with my grandfather...most of it out in the sun. I didnt know what sunscreen was until I was in my teens. Im not saying its a bad thing. Hell, we finally figured out that asbestos and lead were bad for us. I just dont make a huge production out of it. What the hell is in that stuff that it warrants almost $80/l at bulk pricing ?
    https://www.delta-plus.ca/documents/...a6?version=1.0
    https://www.delta-plus.ca/en_US/arti...278862/7424676

USA

The 900lb Gorilla in the room is the food index, which was up 0.9% on the month, and 1% for food at home. Much worse, all items less food and energy was up 0.6% which was double the same index for last month. This is the much-watched "core" inflation number and it is smoking hot, as I expected to both occur and continue since while everyone loves to claim fuel is "transitory" it matters not what you think since everything moves by truck for the last miles, and often for all the miles. Stick diesel north of $5, in some places materially so, and the price of literally everything rises.

The other Gorilla in the room, fuel oil aka diesel fuel, is up 80% from last year. Until and unless that is stopped and the price comes back down, which will only happen if and when the government ceases its war on fossil fuels, there is no way for the general upward pressure on prices to be reversed. Every piece of farm equipment forward to the delivery of the food to your store runs on diesel. Every single item you buy travels at least the last part of its journey moved by diesel. I do not care how you "feel" about the issues related to the use of fossil fuels, the simple reality is that without them you have no fertilizer, no food and nothing in the store so all of the claims of virtue you issue will make you broke or even cause you to starve.

-- https://market-ticker.org/ , https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=245828

4. The Following 5 Users Like This Post By RangeBob

blacksmithden (05-12-2022), firemachine69 (05-12-2022), infidel29 (06-09-2022), M1917 Enfield (05-12-2022), Rory McCanuck (05-12-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    Call to action (seriously):

Anyone care to do the math to make the Canadian version of this sadly unfunny meme? I'm not a mathemagician, but I'd like to know the equivalent percentage to use in an argument with a moron who's telling me that all the world's problems are Putin's fault.

Thanks.

6. The Following User Liked This Post By awndray

Dewey Cox (05-12-2022)

I got my property tax assessments this week. They indicate that the Consumer Price Index for 2021 is 5.1%, so our property assessments have gone up 5%, but the Prov gov't has covered the 5% cost on a one-time basis for all owner-occupied properties.

I expect that the (laughably low) CPI will be at least the same next year so basically a 10% assessment hike in 2 years.

Fortunately the assessments don't seem to be keeping pace with the market... my assessment is less than what I would have expected before the real estate lunacy hit here. It is less than 1/3 of the selling price for anything for sale where I live. The new places are at least 5x.

I'm not going to argue or ask for a re-assessment. LMAO

8. The Following User Liked This Post By Gaidheal

lone-wolf (05-13-2022)

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidheal View Post
    I got my property tax assessments this week. They indicate that the Consumer Price Index for 2021 is 5.1%, so our property assessments have gone up 5%, but the Prov gov't has covered the 5% cost on a one-time basis for all owner-occupied properties.

I expect that the (laughably low) CPI will be at least the same next year so basically a 10% assessment hike in 2 years.

Fortunately the assessments don't seem to be keeping pace with the market... my assessment is less than what I would have expected before the real estate lunacy hit here. It is less than 1/3 of the selling price for anything for sale where I live. The new places are at least 5x.

Yeah...and if they kept the same rates they had 10 years ago and charged on the real value of half the houses in Canada, half the home owners would make a partial or no payment while the other half were burning down their city halls. Just to be clear, I have no issue with people burning down city hall. Im a little too old to participate in such festivities, but I dont object to them.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

10. The Following 6 Users Like This Post By blacksmithden

Gaidheal (05-13-2022), Grimlock (05-13-2022), infidel29 (06-09-2022), lone-wolf (05-13-2022), Rory McCanuck (05-13-2022), stevebc (05-13-2022)

Gas is over $2 here on PEI today

12. The Following User Liked This Post By Gaidheal

lone-wolf (05-13-2022)

$2.03 here yesterday. $2.32 for diesel.

Going up $0.05 tonight and another $0.05 a litre on the long weekend holiday in the NCR I just heard on the radio. Will bring the average price to about $2.10 a litre. The guy doing the announcement also said motorists should be prepared to spend $2.50 a litre before the end of the year at this rate.

This should help dampen inflation, food prices, transport costs and wage increase demands!
    Warning! some sarcasm, facetious and jovial behavior, satire, irony, dry humor, playful banter and more may or may not be involved in my postings. Please read anything I have written as being said in the most joyful and happy voice you can imagine.

To whom it may concern: I hereby declare I am not responsible for the debts incurred by one Justin Trudeau!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidheal View Post

They reassessed my house for what seemed like every 3 months for the first couples years I had it.
    Yep, 10% increase next year, with no 5% relief I'm guessing.
    Not sure how my turning the government owned shell of a house with a flooded basement, into a place worth 10x what I paid for it, warrants bending me over a barrel yearly, but that's canada.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

16. The Following User Liked This Post By lone-wolf

Gaidheal (05-13-2022)