Page 32 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: Inflation

How the trucker shortage is fueling the meat crisis
    May 30, 2021
    https://nypost.com/2021/05/30/how-th...e-meat-crisis/

Meat lovers are paying through the nose for their favorite cuts — and a raging trucker shortage is increasingly to blame, The Post has learned.

The cost of a summer BBQ starring boneless ribeye steak, for example, cost an average of $12.37 a pound last week, up from $9.75 the prior week, according to the US Department of Agriculture.

St. Louis style spareribs, meanwhile, cost $3.82 a pound last week, up from $2.77 the week prior, the USDA data said.

While the skyrocketing price of corn feed – used to fatten animals – has been widely reported to be fueling the price hikes, sources say the dearth of truckers is a big factor as well.

“The driver shortage is pushing the entire pricing system up,” said Daniel Romanoff, president of Nebraskaland, a meat distributor in the Bronx.

In a desperate attempt to hire drivers, Nebraskaland has taken to recruiting them at local fueling stations — distributing flyers that shout, “ATTENTION PLEASE!,” next to a picture of a hand holding a bullhorn.

The flyers offer $4,000 bonuses to new hires after 90 days on the job, and $4,000 to existing Nebraskaland drivers who refer workers to the company. Nebraskaland is offering a similar $2,000 incentive to recruit warehouse workers along with a $2,000 referral bonus for its employees who recruit workers to the company.

Meat wholesaler Baldor Specialty Food, also based in the Bronx, has taken a slightly different tact. Last month it plastered an ad on the Bruckner Expressway — a major thoroughfare for truckers — boasting $3,000 signing bonuses for new drivers.

The driver shortage has many meat wholesales suffering on both ends — enduring long delays in getting their orders fulfilled and then struggling to get their products to supermarkets and restaurants.

WestSide Foods, for example, is now waiting five days – up from three — for its wholesale orders to get to its Bronx warehouse, according to Shawn Reid, vice president of sales.

This and other supply chain factors are all contributing to what Reid called “the longest sustained spike in meat prices in my 35 years in this business.”

While fears of the coronavirus continue to keep some people home, employers say generous unemployment benefits, including $300 weekly checks from the federal government, are also to blame.

“The $300 weekly unemployment checks is a terrific program for those who really need it but it is a deterrent for people to come back to the workforce,” Romanoff said.

“We have heard indirectly from our current employees that their friends and acquaintances who have trucking licenses and have opted not to work right now,” he said.

The pain of rising meat prices will arguably be felt most acutely by lower income people and residents in cities far from cattle country, like NYC.

Indeed, Sal Bonavita, who owns two Key Food stores in the Bronx, has largely stopped carrying rib meat, including ribeye steaks and ribs, because he now has to charge customers $16 a pound up from $12.

“It’s no longer economically viable for us to offer rib steak,” Bonavita told The Post.

Bonavita brought in some rib meat for the Memorial Day weekend for customers who asked for it, but expects to take a loss on it because most of his customers — a diverse group of immigrants from Latin America, the Caribbean, Eastern Europe and the Middle East — cannot afford it.

“If they are coming in with a $50 budget, that $50 is buying less today,” he said.

It’s not just ribs. Before the pandemic, Bonavita was able to offer sales on chicken cutlets for $1.99 a pound. But he recently had to raise his lowest sale price by $1.

His chuck meat prices had been $3.99 per pound, but recently went up to $5.29 per pound — and is likely going up to $5.99 per pound, he said.

The pain is especially acute for lower-income customers, he said. “We are seeing a shift from red meat to chicken from our customers who receive federal assistance,” Bonavita said.
    Successfully escaped this crazy quack s***hole country ALIVE - 12/26/2017!!!

Give your family tree a good shake and see if you have any dual citizenship that you can use to GTFO of this crazy quack s***hole country!

2. The Following User Liked This Post By joe6167

Rory McCanuck (06-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by joe6167 View Post
    How the trucker shortage is fueling the meat crisis
    May 30, 2021
    https://nypost.com/2021/05/30/how-th...e-meat-crisis/

Meat lovers are paying through the nose for their favorite cuts — and a raging trucker shortage is increasingly to blame, The Post has learned.

The cost of a summer BBQ starring boneless ribeye steak, for example, cost an average of $12.37 a pound last week, up from $9.75 the prior week, according to the US Department of Agriculture.

St. Louis style spareribs, meanwhile, cost $3.82 a pound last week, up from $2.77 the week prior, the USDA data said.

While the skyrocketing price of corn feed – used to fatten animals – has been widely reported to be fueling the price hikes, sources say the dearth of truckers is a big factor as well.

“The driver shortage is pushing the entire pricing system up,” said Daniel Romanoff, president of Nebraskaland, a meat distributor in the Bronx.

In a desperate attempt to hire drivers, Nebraskaland has taken to recruiting them at local fueling stations — distributing flyers that shout, “ATTENTION PLEASE!,” next to a picture of a hand holding a bullhorn.

The flyers offer $4,000 bonuses to new hires after 90 days on the job, and $4,000 to existing Nebraskaland drivers who refer workers to the company. Nebraskaland is offering a similar $2,000 incentive to recruit warehouse workers along with a $2,000 referral bonus for its employees who recruit workers to the company.

Meat wholesaler Baldor Specialty Food, also based in the Bronx, has taken a slightly different tact. Last month it plastered an ad on the Bruckner Expressway — a major thoroughfare for truckers — boasting $3,000 signing bonuses for new drivers.

The driver shortage has many meat wholesales suffering on both ends — enduring long delays in getting their orders fulfilled and then struggling to get their products to supermarkets and restaurants.

WestSide Foods, for example, is now waiting five days – up from three — for its wholesale orders to get to its Bronx warehouse, according to Shawn Reid, vice president of sales.

This and other supply chain factors are all contributing to what Reid called “the longest sustained spike in meat prices in my 35 years in this business.”

While fears of the coronavirus continue to keep some people home, employers say generous unemployment benefits, including $300 weekly checks from the federal government, are also to blame.

“The $300 weekly unemployment checks is a terrific program for those who really need it but it is a deterrent for people to come back to the workforce,” Romanoff said.

“We have heard indirectly from our current employees that their friends and acquaintances who have trucking licenses and have opted not to work right now,” he said.

The pain of rising meat prices will arguably be felt most acutely by lower income people and residents in cities far from cattle country, like NYC.

Indeed, Sal Bonavita, who owns two Key Food stores in the Bronx, has largely stopped carrying rib meat, including ribeye steaks and ribs, because he now has to charge customers $16 a pound up from $12.

“It’s no longer economically viable for us to offer rib steak,” Bonavita told The Post.

Bonavita brought in some rib meat for the Memorial Day weekend for customers who asked for it, but expects to take a loss on it because most of his customers — a diverse group of immigrants from Latin America, the Caribbean, Eastern Europe and the Middle East — cannot afford it.

“If they are coming in with a $50 budget, that $50 is buying less today,” he said.

It’s not just ribs. Before the pandemic, Bonavita was able to offer sales on chicken cutlets for $1.99 a pound. But he recently had to raise his lowest sale price by $1.

His chuck meat prices had been $3.99 per pound, but recently went up to $5.29 per pound — and is likely going up to $5.99 per pound, he said.

The pain is especially acute for lower-income customers, he said. “We are seeing a shift from red meat to chicken from our customers who receive federal assistance,” Bonavita said.
    Well, according to the EU and UN we all need to eat more bugs now instead of carbon emitting greenhouse causing cattle!
    Warning! some sarcasm, facetious and jovial behavior, satire, irony, dry humor, playful banter and more may or may not be involved in my postings. Please read anything I have written as being said in the most joyful and happy voice you can imagine.

To whom it may concern: I hereby declare I am not responsible for the debts incurred by one Justin Trudeau!

4. The Following User Liked This Post By M1917 Enfield

joe6167 (06-01-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M1917 Enfield View Post
    Well, according to the EU and UN we all need to eat more bugs now instead of carbon emitting greenhouse causing cattle!
    Tim notes how these recent hacks (gas pipelines and slaughter houses), seem to be advancing the globalist agenda.

Give your family tree a good shake and see if you have any dual citizenship that you can use to GTFO of this crazy quack s***hole country!

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by M1917 Enfield View Post
    I'd rather feed the UN goofs TOO the bugs. I wasn't planning on it, but I think I'll swing by Costco and grab a brisket for the smoker and gorge myself into a meat coma on Saturday night. Maybe there wouldn't be such a trucker shortage if they paid them a fair wage. I don't mind paying more for stuff "IF" its going to the truckers.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

7. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By blacksmithden

joe6167 (06-01-2021), M1917 Enfield (06-02-2021), play.soccer (06-02-2021), Rory McCanuck (06-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    I'd rather feed the UN goofs TOO the bugs. I wasn't planning on it, but I think I'll swing by Costco and grab a brisket for the smoker and gorge myself into a meat coma on Saturday night. Maybe there wouldn't be such a trucker shortage if they paid them a fair wage. I don't mind paying more for stuff "IF" its going to the truckers.
    Yep. I have an AZ license and I would happily go back to it if it was worth it... tonnes of jobs driving tractor trailer around here for slightly over $20/hr.. I made $20/hr driving for Pepsi back in the late nineties; don't wages ever increase?

9. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By chuckufarlie

joe6167 (06-01-2021), lone-wolf (06-02-2021), M1917 Enfield (06-02-2021), Rory McCanuck (06-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by chuckufarlie View Post
    Yep. I have an AZ license and I would happily go back to it if it was worth it... tonnes of jobs driving tractor trailer around here for slightly over $20/hr.. I made $20/hr driving for Pepsi back in the late nineties; don't wages ever increase?
    $20/hr has seemed to be some magic number for most of my life thus far... I've wondered the same.

Friend told me today he is getting a new front window for his house. Finally got a reputable guy to come out to measure and was told it had to be ordered by June 8th, price is going up 50% June 9th, now that's inflation.

12. The Following User Liked This Post By Lee Enfield

Rory McCanuck (06-02-2021)

When I first bought this 60x loupe magnifier in 2015, it was $3.29.
    Today I see it's $12.99.
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00CHH7ANE

Quote Originally Posted by joe6167 View Post
    $20/hr has seemed to be some magic number for most of my life thus far... I've wondered the same.
    There are some jobs that are almost inherently fixed at certain price points relative to their position in the economy. Frequently when there is a strong “I’ll do it for less” competition factor, combined occasionally with a “I’m not paying that much” attitude. Trucking is one of those, for example. Trucking is also one where owner/operator is frequently an even worse proposition than being an employee.

Painting could be one, but since they seem to charge less than you could just source supplies for alone, does not prove anything either way...

Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    When I first bought this 60x loupe magnifier in 2015, it was $3.29.
    Today I see it's $12.99.
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00CHH7ANE
    LED lighting included? I thought you meant a loupe closer to this $5.25 one:
    https://www.amazon.ca/Eurotool-Alumi...634477&sr=8-53

Not sure of the magnification, but I’ve got a similar plastic ones that were probably more than this price.

You are definitely ready to haggle with the pawn shop/jeweler/SHTF seller over price.