Page 45 of 168 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748495595145 ... LastLast

Thread: Inflation

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    We need to say FU to China, tell them to keep their crap, and start building stuff here again. 1000% tax on anything Chinese starting tomorrow. Let them scream and yell. All theyve done is put the screws to us for years by banning our exports. Trudeau has been importing unskilled labour for years now and housing it on our dime. Time to put that to work.
    Sept 21st is the absolute earliest that 1000% tax could arrive…

Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    We have an abundance of shipping containers. That's the problem. Empty containers are piling up in the USA and Canada.
    It's China that has a shipping container shortage.

Events such as a grounded container ship’s blockage of the Suez Canal in March, the shutdown of a key port in southern China in May and June that left some 350,000 containers idle and big backups at ports in the U.S. and Europe have added to the strains.

Now, some U.S. exporters say shipping lines are refusing to send boxes inland to pick up their cargo because they are trying to get empty containers back to factories in Asia as quickly as possible to take advantage of historically high shipping prices for exports from the continent.

Peter Friedmann, executive director of the Agriculture Transportation Coalition, said a survey of members in the fall showed that 22% of sales are lost because they can’t get cargo overseas.

For the loaded containers that are sent inland, congestion on rail networks and a shortage of truck chassis, drivers and warehouse workers has led to big backups at cargo facilities as companies struggle to unpack the boxes and get them back into circulation.

Freight railroads Union Pacific Corp. and BNSF Railway recently restricted transport of shipping containers from the West Coast ports to Chicago to give them time to clear the stacks of containers that had grown at the Midwestern shipping hub.

Truckload carrier Schneider National Inc. said the “average unload dwell time” for its customers using containers was up 70% in the second quarter over the same period in 2019 because of a shortage of workers to handle the boxes. The company has added about 1,000 containers to its network and Chief Executive Mark Rourke said in an earnings conference call July 29 that it would “bend our network to give priority to those shippers and consignees who most efficiently and effectively” unload and return containers and truck chassis.

The strains on equipment availability are drawing the attention of regulators. Carl Bentzel, a member of the Federal Maritime Commission, recently raised concerns about the reliance by U.S. exporters on containers and truck chassis that are made in China.

Congestion and delays have increased the time it takes a container to get from Beijing to Chicago to more than 70 days from about 30 days, Mr. Bentzel said.

There doesn’t appear to be much that regulators can do in the near term to make more containers available, however, and industry executives and experts say the strains on supply chains are likely to last through the end of the year, providing little hope of relief for shippers.

Ken O’Brien, president of Gemini Shippers Group, a New York City-based cooperative that represents more than 250 companies who buy space on ships, said it is strange there isn’t a pile of containers waiting to be picked from. “You just always thought they were there, and now it’s very much a hand to mouth operation,” he said.
    Warning! some sarcasm, facetious and jovial behavior, satire, irony, dry humor, playful banter and more may or may not be involved in my postings. Please read anything I have written as being said in the most joyful and happy voice you can imagine.

To whom it may concern: I hereby declare I am not responsible for the debts incurred by one Justin Trudeau!

Then why arent we filling them with soy beans ? They said in the story there was a shortage of shipping containers here and thats why our silos are still full.
    See above ^^^^^
    Warning! some sarcasm, facetious and jovial behavior, satire, irony, dry humor, playful banter and more may or may not be involved in my postings. Please read anything I have written as being said in the most joyful and happy voice you can imagine.

To whom it may concern: I hereby declare I am not responsible for the debts incurred by one Justin Trudeau!

4. The Following User Liked This Post By M1917 Enfield

blacksmithden (09-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by SIR VEYOR View Post
    And over the last 30 years, “just in time” inventory systems became the norm. There is no storage capacity in the system. Refinery’s goes down in Edmonton, gas stations are dry in 2 days. The supply chains are now designed to consider storage as waste or a drag on the system. And this set of interruptions are more sustained and pronounced than typical. Everyone saw it, but isolated and just a day or three on occasional things.
    I used to work at a large multinational company that supplied and serviced banks, government agencies and other large corporations and our Ottawa office used to hold over $2 million in spare parts and specialized equipment for our always on the road techs and customers who had 24 hour response service and maintenance contracts. The yearly held branch stock takes used to require a week long shutdown and everybody in the branch to come in for a week to count all the stock which sometimes had some items in the thousands.

Well, I remember back in the early 2000's when the company got rid of the long time branch manager and brought in a new young guy who in one of his first actions was to order we stopped holding and ordering replenishment stock and move to a "just in time" order system from our suppliers. He was very proud of himself when he got a big fat bonus and pat on the back from head office for bringing in a never before seen record branch account surplus mainly from not keeping our stock levels at the longtime standard of 3 months worth of stock always on hand by ordering new stock and he would tell us all that at the end of year company Christmas party. And as a result our yearly stock takes now lasted just one day instead of a whole week.

So all was fine for about a year or two until the "just in time" system started to sometimes take weeks and months for our suppliers to re-stock our needed parts orders and our customers and technicians started to complain that we did not have the needed parts to complete or finish jobs or maintain clients systems as required by our agreed maintenance and repair contracts (we had over $5 million in client maintenance and 24 hour repair contracts) so our long time customers started to cancel their maintenance and repair contracts as well as new work planed and left for our competitors and some even hired our staff to work in-house (mainly government customers) and hold their own inventory of parts and equipment rather than rely on our now piss poor performance.

And then after our branch revenue numbers started to dramatically shrink out of the blue the new branch manager was let go and the company which used to be the biggest in the NCR is now a shadow of it's previous self and I'm told by staff still working there, is still trying to get back to what it was over a decade ago.

6. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By M1917 Enfield

firemachine69 (09-08-2021), Lee Enfield (09-06-2021)

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by M1917 Enfield View Post
    I used to work at a large multinational company that supplied and serviced banks, government agencies and other large corporations and our Ottawa office used to hold over $2 million in spare parts and specialized equipment for our always on the road techs and customers who had 24 hour response service and maintenance contracts. The yearly held branch stock takes used to require a week long shutdown and everybody in the branch to come in for a week to count all the stock which sometimes had some items in the thousands.

Well, I remember back in the early 2000's when the company got rid of the long time branch manager and brought in a new young guy who in one of his first actions was to order we stopped holding and ordering replenishment stock and move to a "just in time" order system from our suppliers. He was very proud of himself when he got a big fat bonus and pat on the back from head office for bringing in a never before seen record branch account surplus mainly from not keeping our stock levels at the longtime standard of 3 months worth of stock always on hand by ordering new stock and he would tell us all that at the end of year company Christmas party. And as a result our yearly stock takes now lasted just one day instead of a whole week.

So all was fine for about a year or two until the "just in time" system started to sometimes take weeks and months for our suppliers to re-stock our needed parts orders and our customers and technicians started to complain that we did not have the needed parts to complete or finish jobs or maintain clients systems as required by our agreed maintenance and repair contracts (we had over $5 million in client maintenance and 24 hour repair contracts) so our long time customers started to cancel their maintenance and repair contracts as well as new work planed and left for our competitors and some even hired our staff to work in-house (mainly government customers) and hold their own inventory of parts and equipment rather than rely on our now piss poor performance.

And then after our branch revenue numbers started to dramatically shrink out of the blue the new branch manager was let go and the company which used to be the biggest in the NCR is now a shadow of it's previous self and I'm told by staff still working there, is still trying to get back to what it was over a decade ago.
    It sounds like they needed to hire an old timer reloader who's been through powder, primer, and brass shortages, and made out just fine because they know damned well there will be times when stuff just isn't available. When you're the only show in town with the needed whizzers and widgets, it isn't hard to pick up everyone else's business, as well as hold onto what you already have.
    Last edited by blacksmithden; 09-06-2021 at 08:16 AM.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

8. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By blacksmithden

firemachine69 (09-08-2021), Grimlock (09-06-2021), M1917 Enfield (09-06-2021)

The only reason theres a shortage of damned near everything is because 30 years ago, we said FU to unions gouging manufacturers for highly inflated wages for basically unskilled labor. Then came the f-ing environmentalists....When its cheaper to manufacture something half way around the world and ship it here, theres something wrong. I said it then, and Im sitting here basking in rightness. If we continued to send money out of this country at the rate we were (and still are), we were going to get bit in the ass, HARD. Well...here we are. Why the hell arent WE building shipping containers ? Oh...thats right. Even when the cost of one goes to EIGHT TIMES what it was 2 years ago, we STILL cant make a profit at it. Over regulation. Over paid workers. Over cost EVERYTHING. Keep the raw beans and feed them to the eco-warriors, union bosses, and government bureaucrats. Nobody would be happier than me than to see a 1000% tax on every damned thing that said "made in China" on it.
    Over-regulation case in point: I was talking to a fellow out west one time whose company made a softwood kit product. According to him
    it turned out cheaper to ship the parts to Japan (yes, Japan not China) for assembly into kits, and ship back to the States, thereby fulfilling some criteria for 'made in Japan' than to simply truck across the border. The retail shelf price was impacted that much. An enviro-nut may assume that petroleum is simply too cheap if it allows such logistical quackery, and demand higher taxes on fuel. Which governments seem all too willing to impose. But that would miss the point that economic quackery (tariffs) was driving the situation to begin with.
    "If we had a vote tomorrow I would vote, once again, to keep the Registry..." - Justin Trudeau
    "... if Canadians are to trust their government, their government needs to trust Canadians." - Justin Trudeau
    “The world still needs more Canada, it just needs less Justin Trudeau” ~ Erin O’Toole

10. The Following User Liked This Post By LB303

blacksmithden (09-09-2021)

I'm getting a transmission repaired. The dealership said that in 1995-2019 special order parts would be delivered the next day, one or two days if they had to come from the states. But in 2021 it is now taking 1.5 weeks to 2 weeks for parts to arrive from the states.

12. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By RangeBob

blacksmithden (09-09-2021), firemachine69 (09-08-2021), Rory McCanuck (09-08-2021)

I wouldn't tell anyone you blew a tranny too loud.

14. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Grimlock

infidel29 (09-15-2021), M1917 Enfield (09-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
    I wouldn't tell anyone you blew a tranny too loud.
    Saying you blew an Allison might get ya worse in certain circles

How does that old joke end???

Looks like you blew a seal

No, I had an ice cream cone and some dribbled on my shirt….
    In spite of all of man's grandiose achievements, he owes his continued existence to six inches of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

17. The Following User Liked This Post By R&R Rancher

infidel29 (09-15-2021)