Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
    Dang that’s cheap. Looks like one for a field slug gun but I do believe they had the same dimensions as a trap stock. Snap that up before it disappears. And Dewey, it’s not that hard to do an EMT, but getting the buy in after sending it is all but impossible.
    In spite of all of man's grandiose achievements, he owes his continued existence to six inches of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

Dewey, I am in the same boat. If SHMBO doesn't want to do the EMT, I need to find a different way. I do agree with R&R that they are not hard, it is just I am just too slow to learn (and it stops me from spending).

That stock does look good. It has very nice consistent colouring and the finish looks even. I can say that the 870 stock will fit the 1100. My synthetic is actually for an 870. The raised comb on the synthetic started with the dimensions of the trap stock that I found online. From that point, I shaved a couple corners to have the hand fit the well and moved the edge over to allow my eye to align with the barrel. This would make the gun look much nicer then it currently does, but now I kinda like being the black sheep on the trap field now that the scores have started coming around. Now the comments might start to be 'how the hell does he shoot like that with that'.

I see it sold today.

If I ever get to go to another gunshow, maybe I can find one.
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

Well season isn’t quite done here. Got out to the club Sunday afternoon. What a beautiful day! Sunny, calm and temps in the low 20’s. Lately I’ve been getting lazy towards the end of a round and dropping targets. With that in mind I wanted to work on holding that level of concentration.

I was second man on squad on the first round. I saw the first bird was low and even though I told myself to not go over the bird that’s exactly what I did Well, I figured here’s a good opportunity to work on that concentration. Focused on a pre shot routine of hold point, look point, quiet eye for a second then call. Managed to run the rest of the trap. Shot a second round and was working hard mentally on the same routine. Manage to get the the second bird on the last post before I dropped another. Not sure why you missed but it wasn’t lack of concentration. That was 45 straight which I’m more than happy with. Hope we have a few more good weekends before any nasty fall/winter weather sets in.
    In spite of all of man's grandiose achievements, he owes his continued existence to six inches of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

5. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By R&R Rancher

cowboy01 (09-13-2021), Dewey Cox (09-13-2021), Hillbillyreefer (09-13-2021)

Is the Castor shoot this weekend Dewey?
    #wexit

7. The Following User Liked This Post By Hillbillyreefer

Dewey Cox (09-13-2021)

You got to love that beautiful weather. Hopefully the sun was at your back.

I find that I have more trouble with the first bird if I am in station 1 or 2. Station 3 is better but I like station 4 or 5 to start. I find that I am working differently if I am shooting a round of practice or a league shoot. With practice, I am trying different things to see if it is better or worse. This is gun holds, foot position, weight transfer and anything else that can be changed. I will normally drop a few in practice but I will laser focus in competition to a point I am only counting 4 shots and I know it my turn again. I have not seen any of the birds flying while I'm on the line whereas in practice, I might watch a bird from the guy ahead of me. I will try and watch the trap house throwing them before I am on the line. This is also why I do not like to be in the first squad.

What you are doing is what I have taken from you previously. It works. I have seen myself in an over-concentration state. If I am trying too hard, I can and have missed. I was not using the barrel rest and holding the gun the complete round. What I have started is total relaxation after shooting the bird. Gun down on the rest and I will put my head down and close my eyes. I don't think about the last bird (hit or miss), I will concentrate on the next bird. I will pick up the gun when the person 2 ahead fires and then will close the action on the 1100 when the person ahead of me fires. This did work for me in the last league shoot. One of the other things that an older good shooter told me is to chew gun on the line. I am not a gun chewer regularly, but on the line, I will have a piece in my mouth. It is just that last point of 'distraction' to keep me from over-focusing.

My problem is now on handicap. We did a practice round from the 22 yd line and I got a decent score of 22 but all of the birds that I missed were the first bird at the station. I started thinking instead of just shooting the bird. I am so far back that I need to change, I told myself which is wrong. I was a little ticked off with myself because of the mistake that should not be. I was not at the 27 yd line. All I know is I need to see more handicap birds and doubles on a regular basis.

We have 2 more league shoots for the year. I will be focusing on ensuring that I am ready for them.

Keep breaking clay and having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbillyreefer View Post
    Is the Castor shoot this weekend Dewey?
    Castor's national trap day shoot is on Saturday.
    Just a one day affair.
    If you were desperate for registered targets, you could do castor Saturday, and calgary Sunday.

10. The Following User Liked This Post By Dewey Cox

Hillbillyreefer (09-13-2021)

This year was the first time in years I registered targets. I still had my membership card but the address has changed. No problem I was told, we’ll send in an address correction and you’ll get a new card. A thick envelope arrived yesterday and in addition to my new card it was full of “welcome to the ATA stuff”. Checked my averages card and none of last years scores are there. Then I noticed my handicap yardage was 20. Looking at my membership card more closely I see I have a new number. Sent an email to the ATA detailing the mixup and asking for a correction. Hope to hear back soon.

Cowboy, I still think most of us don’t shoot enough handicap or doubles to reach the same proficiency as we have with our singles. I bet for every round of handicap I shoot i shoot 30 rounds of singles. And for every round of doubles I shoot I shoot 5 handicap. That’s why I got excited about the Big 50’s last summer. I shot 50 singles, 50 handicap and 25 pairs each night. Great practice!

12. The Following User Liked This Post By R&R Rancher

cowboy01 (09-16-2021)

Got an email reply from the ATA. New number is gone and my old number and target history is back. New card should be in the mail soon.

14. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By R&R Rancher

cowboy01 (09-20-2021), Hillbillyreefer (09-19-2021)

I renewed on Saturday, and they moved my handicap yardage from 20 to 19.
    Ouch.
    I opted to stay on the 20.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast