Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    Thank you Dewey. I appreciate your input more then you will probably believe. Since you have made the same transition that I am making now and you have improved with moving to the Citori, I am hoping to have the same sort of gains.

How did your pointing of the two different guns change? Did the positioning of the bird move for you in order to break with the two?

The problem with building up the stock is in the same hold, the butt will be lower causing the gun to shoot even higher. I am not against the building of the stock up with the mole skin. I think it is a very good solution that R& R has to bring up the stock. I was able to bring the height of the stock of the 1100 up high enough to have the bird right above the bead to break as the 1100 Point of impact much lower then the Citori. Before, I needed to cover the bird with the end of the barrel with the 1100. With the higher comb, it was much more consistent. I think that I will give the 1100 another try.

I have attached a couple photos of my 1100 setup. It was to mimic the profile of the trap stock available for the 1100. The wood has the underside profiled to replicate the synthetic stock and 2 part epoxy was used to bond the wood to the stock. Paint will not stick to the epoxy. The profile on the left side of the gun did not protrude past the stock to push my face away and add cast to the stock (I cannot remember if it is cast on or cast off).

20210719_141738.jpg20210719_141855.jpg

I may have misunderstood your post on the previous page. Are you saying the gun shoots very high for you and you are concerned that building up the comb will make it shoot higher?
    In spite of all of man's grandiose achievements, he owes his continued existence to six inches of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

Yes. My Citori is shooting over 98% of my misses. If I build up the comb, that will put it on a steeper line and will cause the gun to shoot even higher. On my attempt on Sunday of the hard left from station 5, the ones that I was getting, I was hitting the leading edge of the bird.

I am currently having an issue leaving enough space between the bird and the bead. I have a hangup or glitch that the bird is one thickness above the bead when I pull the trigger. I am still shooting over the bird. If I could get myself to leave the thickness of 5 or 6 birds, I think I would be very close. This is why I am thinking of placing a magnetic fibre bead on the barrel. This bead will be higher and if I put the bird a thickness over that bead, it should be closer.

Having a field gun shoot that high is VERY unusual. Here’s what I suggest. Google Neil Winston’s POI testing. This will explain how to test your POI. Do both your 1100 and Citori. I would suggest using short, say 12” long, strips of balsa wood painted black to build up the rib until you get the same POI on the Citori as your 1100. A stick pin with a round white plastic end can be made into a temporary bead and black electrical tape will hold it all in place without being distracting to your eye while the gun is mounted.

A long time ago, in my second year of shooting trap I decided to step up from the field grade 870 I had been using. A local guy at the club wheeled and dealed in guns and had a “real” trap gun NIB. It was a Beretta 302 with a Monte Carlo stock. The barrel was a 28” field barrel with drop in, non threaded choke tubes that were held in place with a screw on collar. Looked like a poly choke. After a month or so my scores started to drop from around a 20 average to low single digits. Very, very frustrating. Finally dawned on me that I had to shoot 3 feet under the bird to break it. The low rib on the field barrel didn’t have as much height as the rib on a trap barrel, so the height of the comb was all wrong. A local smith shaved a huge whack off the comb to get my POI close and my scores immediately came back to where they had been. In hind sight a different barrel would have been the solution. The moral is don’t fight a gun that doesn’t shoot where you look. You’ll drive yourself crazy trying.
    In spite of all of man's grandiose achievements, he owes his continued existence to six inches of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

Hello R&R,

Sorry for the late reply as I was away from my desk yesterday.

That sounds like exactly what I need to do. Like I said previously, I am not the first person to run into these issues that I am having. I am just the latest person and have no idea of how to solve the issue.

I was thinking that I am crazy and I will be trying my 1100 this Sunday again. I will need to build up the rib on the Citori as you have described. That sounds like a great work around to find out what is needed at very low cost/effort. I will just set up the paper to pattern on to help move the POI to a workable place. I will need to shoot the 1100 to ensure that it is doing what I want and it is not just the fond memories clouding the actual results.

The weirdest part of this whole thing (and why I am having real trouble understanding) is that my doubles score is about the same as with the 1100 but the Citori feels better and I think there is still improvement left in it as I have only shot 3 rounds of doubles with the Citori.

Again, this is very useful to me and gives me hope. I do not have a lot of money into this Citori (relatively) and before I do any modifications, I will need to decide if I put the money into this gun or get an adjustable trap gun. I would think that an unmodified Citori of 1975 would be worth more in original condition then after all of the mods that I may need to do to have it shoot where I look. I am not a big fan of permanent modifications (hence the alternate synthetic stock on the 1100 being moded). I am not a fan of selling but I also do not want to destroy something either. This may be my biggest obstacle... me.

I have some work ahead of me...and some deep thoughts required.

Good luck with the testing. It should reveal what the issue really is. I’ll agree that it’s far better to sell an unmolested gun than put a bunch of money into it then sell it. You’ll never get that money back out.

Frankly to have a field gun shoot that high makes me wonder if the barrels were accidentally bent at some point in time. I’ve read that before adjustable ribs and stocks that barrel bending was common for trapshooters looking to raise POI. Smacking sand bags and tree crotches are mentioned so it was a cad from scientific method.

Thanks R&R. I am happy to see that I am not alone in my reasoning.

It will be fun to just spend some quiet time on the range with no one around and try and figure this out. With mentioning a bent barrel, that will take more measurements to confirm but it could be possible. This may be why it was not that expensive (as compared to other B guns). I still like the gun but if I cannot shoot it for good scores, it may only be my backup gun (and doubles if that stays working).

One thing I just remembered (I dont know it will help or not)...
    When I shot my 1100 I kept the buttpad high on my shoulder, and the stock sat really high.
    I don't hold the citori that high, but I can't exactly remember when I made that change.

Another thought I had is maybe try shooting faster on your singles.
    If your doubles are going good, maybe you can replicate that with some faster shooting.
    Or, if you're constantly shooting over them, hold your gun lower before you call for the bird.

Now, I don't know if any of this is necessarily good advice, these are just things I play around with when I'm trying to dial in my shooting.
    Point of impact testing is obviously the best way to figure out where your gun is shooting.
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

A last thought, test both barrels. I’m assuming you’ve been shooting with the bottom barrel. If it shoots height, that’s fine for the first bird in doubles since its still rising sharply. If the top barrel shoots close to where the 1100 shoots, try a round or two with that barrel

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789