Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Congrats on the 25 straight.
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

Thanks guys. Everything is starting to come together and make sense of all of the help that everyone has provided. It just takes many rounds to pull it all together into a single round. The worse part is that I was keeping track. So on the last one, I knew that I had 24 straight. I needed to take the extra second and come back to the standard spot before calling for the target. With only 3 of us on the line in the last round of the day, it moved a little faster than I would like but I did my regular setup.

So IĎve struggled with face slap for years with my 3200. Tried a number of things, tapered pitch shims, adjustable butt plate, 7/8 ounce loads. When I bought it the stock was too low for me so I bought a stick on comb which brought it up to the correct height.

85BF094F-7E8D-4708-9B03-E4AA049FB6DD.jpg

I got looking at it a while back and started comparing it to my TMX. I know Iíve got the soft touch recoil reducer there, but there is no face slap. This weekend I got out my tape measure and digital calipers and started doing some measuring. Iíve got access to 3D CAD and made some very simple models of the barrels, rib and comb. Since recoil is my main concern I used the bore of the top barrel as my Center line.

First the 3200

bAgcOC6.jpg

First thing that is obvious is that not only is the comb not level with the bore, itís tilted up at the front.

Next the TMX

RTXmMQX.jpg

That one tilts down in the front.

So when the TMX recoils, the comb drops away from my face if it moves back, while the 3200 moves up into my face if it recoils back!
    In spite of all of man's grandiose achievements, he owes his continued existence to six inches of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

I can only attach 3 pics to a post so Iíll continue here.

Now Iíll lay one on top of the other

bGEpTEK.jpg

Thatís a pretty big difference in angles. So a plan is forming in my mind. When I finally have a free evening Iím going to get out the heat gun and remove the old stick on pad. Iíll buy some mole skin and use it to build up the comb to match the profile of the TMX, then go see if the face slap is any better.

I note that even though the rib on the TMX is taller, the ribs are parallel. If I can match the combs this should be a real fair test. If Iím happy Iím thinking of having a CIRS recoil reducer installed this winter. If Iím not happy then its time to send the 3200 down the road. Iíll update as I go.
    In spite of all of man's grandiose achievements, he owes his continued existence to six inches of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

5. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By R&R Rancher

cowboy01 (06-22-2021), Dewey Cox (06-21-2021)

So I got the ugly old comb pad off. Pity to hide that pretty lumber under that ugly old brown thing

9C639238-7294-478A-A7DA-46B06219687F.jpg

And hereís my measuring set up.

30EEEDFB-3F06-4C0B-9CCE-4E873C83F030.jpg

Measure from the barrel end, mark on the masking tape a location, clamp the level to the rib and measure with the callipers. Never heard of anyone doing this before, but donít see why it wonít work.

I measured some moleskin on my 11-48 stock, around .030 thick. That will give me some idea how much to add, although I will check it out with my measuring set up until Iím happy with it. Iíll pick up some moleskin after work tomorrow and if time permits Iíll give building up the comb a try.

7. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By R&R Rancher

cowboy01 (06-24-2021), Dewey Cox (06-22-2021)

Hey R&R,

That is the exact way I set my 1100 up. I did not have anything else to compare to, so I was winging it and trying to model from the Monte Carlo stock measurements as a starting point. Since I had a used synthetic stock, I ended up epoxying wood to the top of the stock to get the height correct. I was the guy in the corner after a round with the block plane on the side re-shaping the fit then shoot another round.

With you having the TMX to compare to, you should have a better starting point.

All stocks are adjustable if you have the right tools...
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

10. The Following User Liked This Post By Dewey Cox

cowboy01 (06-24-2021)

As long as you werenít taking a rasp to the comb between shots and holding up the squad, all is well.

Got the moleskin on tonight

AA577E77-2195-45B7-991F-A9C3C3EE63B1.jpg

I wanted a 3/8Ē rise at the back and 1/8Ē at the front and Iím pretty much there. Now the long wait until Sunday to try it out.

12. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By R&R Rancher

cowboy01 (06-25-2021), Dewey Cox (06-24-2021)

That looks like a great start. Once you get a round in, you will know if it right. That looks much better than mine. I knew I needed to go high as it is a field gun so I did not want to mess around with the original wood stock. This way, the magnum will be able to be put back to the original condition.

I would not hold up the squad. Like you and all of the others in this thread, I have respect at the line for other people.

Also, with me being much greener at that point, it took me a whole round to figure out if it was right.

Well yesterday was a bust. SWMBO had either a stomach flu or food poisoning so i stayed home to look after her. If the club is open Canada day ill give it a try

Cowboy, my remark about holding up the squad was jut me being a smart azz. Nothing you’ve written makes me think you would do such a rude thing. If I caused offence you have my sincere apology

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast