Recurve Technology Has Kept Up Nicely.......

For some time now, I have been snooping the current TD recurve offerings and have gone back and forth with several bowyers for a while, as much as I like my zippy PSE Dream Season & Full Throttle, they can be a PIA, complex, delicate (to a degree) and are bulky to transport.

As much as I wanted traditional, Blacktail and Acadian offerings, while beautiful can get very spendy in a hurry. Then I fell down the ILF rabbit hole, on that journey - I found Morrison Archery in Ohio, these Guys & Gals have it going on to say the least! I'm right at 30" draw with a compound, so even if I wimp out a little short on the recurve it still gets you 220FPS @ 30" and 211FPS @ 28". That is with hunting weight shafts and tips, pretty damn impressive for a recurve, in my books anyways.....

Non-Trad to be sure but knocks down to nothing with no tools, can accept a quiver and even a sight if you wanted, perfect for the bug out bag and I will hunt it for sure. 4-6 weeks before stock starts coming up again after all current orders are filled but at least on the list....

2798907E-BF52-4640-8094-59AC80F0E7A5.jpg36E8D35C-8B99-4DF2-8CE4-6D02C73412A3.jpgF8E0067C-56B2-4852-8910-372A88E707F2.jpg

2. The Following User Liked This Post By 2012Cvoguy

Aniest (03-21-2021)

I’ve got a little take down recurve. Similar style, but the limbs aren’t quite so high tech. I think it’s only a 25 or 30# draw, used mostly for screwing around, but I’ve got a yet untested bowfishing rig for it. Looks like a lot of my little creeks aren’t going to have enough water in them for the sucker run, same as last spring. Here’s hoping for one more dump of snow or a couple decent shots of rain. Looking pretty dry out there so far.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

4. The Following User Liked This Post By kennymo

2012Cvoguy (03-22-2021)

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    It's black and has plastic parts. ASSAULT RECURVE !!! Oh come on...you knew SOMEBODY was going to say it sooner or later. Might as well get it out of the way.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

6. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By blacksmithden

2012Cvoguy (03-22-2021), chrisc (03-22-2021)

Bladesmith
    I always wanted to try shooting a carbon fiber bow, must be super light. I have a martain x200. I did shoot a wood fiberglass backed bow for a while but it didn't last. I like the concept of a takedown but my x200 is nice a light and easier to push the bush (I love to bow hunt rabbits)

8. The Following User Liked This Post By Brad

2012Cvoguy (03-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    I’ve got a little take down recurve. Similar style, but the limbs aren’t quite so high tech. I think it’s only a 25 or 30# draw, used mostly for screwing around, but I’ve got a yet untested bowfishing rig for it. Looks like a lot of my little creeks aren’t going to have enough water in them for the sucker run, same as last spring. Here’s hoping for one more dump of snow or a couple decent shots of rain. Looking pretty dry out there so far.
    I hope the water situation improves, I just came thru the Coq pass, we are headed for a good runoff as long as it all doesn't go at once again. Winter shows no sign of letting go here, miserable today, I can see the pass from my office window and it is squalling like crazy. Used to bow fish the log booms on Okanagan Lake for suckers a lot as a kid! Chum the water with bread balls and go to town, used to walk the logs for that ideal place, may have to revive that (without walking logs) as it was a lot of fun.....

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    It's black and has plastic parts. ASSAULT RECURVE !!! Oh come on...you knew SOMEBODY was going to say it sooner or later. Might as well get it out of the way.
    LOL, Right! With a soon to be registry! I'm taking my black skullworks Full Throttle back with me, I can hardly wait for those friendly Westjet faces to go all cold on me. I took a rifle over to my buddies place on the Island last summer, the look of disdain when I rolled up with the Pelican 1750 was pathetic in its obviousness. I made sure to take the extra minute to root around for my RPAL as ID, I almost got hypothermia from the look and not another word spoken. We are the pariahs of our age....

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    I always wanted to try shooting a carbon fiber bow, must be super light. I have a martain x200. I did shoot a wood fiberglass backed bow for a while but it didn't last. I like the concept of a takedown but my x200 is nice a light and easier to push the bush (I love to bow hunt rabbits)
    I do like Martins! My first compound was a Martin and it took some serious abuse without a whimper, the X200 is certainly a slick hunting rig.... What a hoot to hunt rabbits with a recurve!I think I'd need stocks in GoldTip for all the arrows I'd lose......

Never tried a recurve, and unfortunately I've neglected both PSE compounds that I do have. I have one set up to shoot Easton shafts and a 125 grain Thunderhead (total weight of 540 grains) which got me 212 fps at 64 lbs so you are definitely in good bear poking energy with the numbers you listed for the recurve.
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

11. The Following User Liked This Post By Camo tung

2012Cvoguy (03-22-2021)

I'm lucky in that I can practice in the back yard, once you put them down for a bit they tend to stay that way. The Decree has IBO of 347-355fps and the Full Throttle is 362-370 but I'm a couple turns out on the limb pocket bolts, not sure what that takes it down to, but a full 30" draw..... I have no chrony but they are nasty fast, you are in needing an arrow puller territory if you shoot at 20yrds, I don't practice enough to truly stretch these rigs out plus they are temperamental with form, I tried a convoluted angle shot last year and derailed the FT, lucky I only sheared the limb stop pin off and split the cable guard glide........ Hence, why I'm joining the recurve game.

Bladesmith
    Quote Originally Posted by 2012Cvoguy View Post
    I hope the water situation improves, I just came thru the Coq pass, we are headed for a good runoff as long as it all doesn't go at once again. Winter shows no sign of letting go here, miserable today, I can see the pass from my office window and it is squalling like crazy. Used to bow fish the log booms on Okanagan Lake for suckers a lot as a kid! Chum the water with bread balls and go to town, used to walk the logs for that ideal place, may have to revive that (without walking logs) as it was a lot of fun.....

LOL, Right! With a soon to be registry! I'm taking my black skullworks Full Throttle back with me, I can hardly wait for those friendly Westjet faces to go all cold on me. I took a rifle over to my buddies place on the Island last summer, the look of disdain when I rolled up with the Pelican 1750 was pathetic in its obviousness. I made sure to take the extra minute to root around for my RPAL as ID, I almost got hypothermia from the look and not another word spoken. We are the pariahs of our age....

I do like Martins! My first compound was a Martin and it took some serious abuse without a whimper, the X200 is certainly a slick hunting rig.... What a hoot to hunt rabbits with a recurve!I think I'd need stocks in GoldTip for all the arrows I'd lose......
    There is a secret to hunting rabbits here. We will often have an overlap of bare ground and rabbit season. When it's really good we have a couple weeks of bare ground and rabbits who turned white.

14. The Following User Liked This Post By Brad

2012Cvoguy (03-24-2021)