Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aniest View Post
    Grey_Wolf makes some great choices in there. If recoil is the issue while maintaining good accuracy I suggest 223 Rem for varmint and 6.5 Creedmoor for deer sized game because at this time components and ammunition are decently available. If you get into other calibres, although they may be better choices (certainly the 222 Rem is over the 223 in my opinion too), it is hard to say what factory ammo is available right now and how easily it is to get components.... but that's just my opinion.

If you want more options on low recoil, (maybe surprisingly) from my experience the Winchester Super Short Magnums are not that bad on recoil while having quite a decent amount of power to them: 223WSSM, 243WSSm & 25WSSM. There is also the underrated 260 Rem (only by those that have not used it), 7-30 Waters and 7mm-08 Rem.
    People keep bringing up availability of ammo when talking about the 222. I don't get it, must be popular in my corner of the world and nowhere else - I've seen 222 at my local CT store and UFA. I think of the 223 as something more liked by the spray and pray crowd with the cheap bulk ammo. Sorry, not meant to be insulting. For loading the components are similar so what is available for one works for the other with the exception of brass of course.
    You bring up the 7mm- 08 which is another good choice that I forgot about - effective for a wide range of animals, easy on the shoulder, available ammo and components (well usually but that can't be said for all cartridges right now), a good round for sure

.270 WIN, of course.

(It is purely coincidence that I have one for sale in the Marketplace...)

3. The Following User Liked This Post By stevebc

M1917 Enfield (04-06-2021)

I'm not sure if there's a situation where I would want a 270win that my 308, 300winmag, or 7.62x39 wouldn't be perfectly adequate.

I guess I'm wondering if a 22wmr or 17hmr are enough of an upgrade over a 22LR for something like coyote /ground hogs or.if something like a 223 or 22-250 is a better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyjax99 View Post
    I'm not sure if there's a situation where I would want a 270win that my 308, 300winmag, or 7.62x39 wouldn't be perfectly adequate.

I guess I'm wondering if a 22wmr or 17hmr are enough of an upgrade over a 22LR for something like coyote /ground hogs or.if something like a 223 or 22-250 is a better choice.
    I'd look at ammo costs before making that decision.

I'm not sure I would consider the price difference between 22wmr, 17hmr, or 223 significant enough to affect my decision making. Neither of them are particularly expensive for use at the range, and I'm not such a good hunter that I go through premium rounds quickly.

Guidelines in NS are a bit weird when it comes caliber choices. I've heard they're changing them, but as with all things government related I'm not holding my breath in the meantime I still want an under 0.23cal option that has a bit more oomph than a 22LR.

The 260rem, 7mm-08 mentioned above etc all fall under the same issue as the 270win. I'm not sure if there's a situation where I wouldn't simply rather use my 308 or the 7.62russian. I've got pretty meaty shoulders and I'm not that recoil sensitive. 204 ruger was a interesting option, but finding a gun chambered for it and ammo to shoot seems challenging otherwise it'd be a strong contender.

So I guess if the biggest thing I'd shoot is a coyote and the smallest a groundhog, is a 22wmr/17hmr adequate or is it worthwhile to get something more like a 223/222/204 ruger etc?

I haven’t shot a coyote with my .17 hornet, but I have no doubt it would do the job out to 200 yards. It works very well on gophers and badger. It is a very accurate rifle and reloadable.

I have pleasantly surprised myself more than once with my sisters .222. I went with .243 to bring it up to deer sized game. Does what I need inside the ranges I hunt and shoot. This was before 6.5 CM was all the rage.

If I were to hunt coyote on purpose, I would use .223 mostly because I already own one. I only buy hunting rifles in cartridges available at Canadian Tire.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I picked up a Henry lever action 22wmr at a good deal. Fun to shoot, and should be a great small game backup during bow season.

11. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Crazyjax99

kennymo (04-06-2021), lone-wolf (04-06-2021)

I find my TIKA 6.5X55 to be amazing and a real pleasure to shoot. Very accurate, light recoil, easy to reload and highly recommend it.

13. The Following User Liked This Post By Lee Enfield

M1917 Enfield (04-09-2021)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast