Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mmmmm... BACON!

I understand now. I guess I should proof read before I press Reply and not rely on Auto-Correct to rectify my mistaken spelling and grammar.

2. The Following User Liked This Post By Northshore

Grizz Axxemann (04-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by YQR Reloader View Post
    I know what you mean because if you are going to spend a bunch of time smoking, you want to get as much meat in the smoker as possible while maintaining smoke and air flow between all meat surfaces. I had the same issue with my last smoker.

This smoker measures 20" from the top most dowel position to the top of the hood over the smoke pan. The longest links I use is 18" to prevent the ends of the links getting too close to the hot smoke pan hood. I also rotate the links through the whole process to ensure even heat to the meat. This is easy with this smoker because you can rotate up the red roof to get access to the dowels instead of opening the front door.

The first picture below is snack sticks that are 18" long. The second picture is 12" Mennonite Style Farmer sausage that were just taken out of the smoker to bloom. Even though this is a 30 pound smoker, I do the Farmer Sausage in 20 pound batches like shown in the picture. Bacon slabs are no issue and I do 12" hanging slabs. With the bacon, I can do about 25 pounds at a time.
    I'm looking for something taller. Will probably have to build something. With the Bradley I can smoke only 12 - 15 lbs. of smokies at a time, each group for roughly 3 ish hours - with a 40 lb. batch that's a lot of time. I made my snack sticks shorter (slightly longer than a smokie) and could only get two hanging so same problem with room. Ideally the smoker would be 5 ish feet tall allowing for close to 4' hanging. Others I have talked with about this suggest a small fan to circulate the air and avoid hot/cold spots. It's a plan in the beginning stages, need to find a suitable shell to start with. Had considered stick built but at the cost of lumber these days it might be cheaper to buy the big one at Halfords lol

4. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Grey_Wolf

Grizz Axxemann (04-25-2021), YQR Reloader (04-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf View Post
    Had considered stick built but at the cost of lumber these days it might be cheaper to buy the big one at Halfords lol
    Maybe use the carcass of a filing cabinet? You'd have to remove the paint, but it's metal, reasonably rigid and light weight.
    Yes, you can fix stupid, but the stupid folks have passed laws against it. - FallisCowboy

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz Axxemann View Post
    Maybe use the carcass of a filing cabinet? You'd have to remove the paint, but it's metal, reasonably rigid and light weight.
    Yeah, I.l thinking bigger than that. Old style fridge size or 2'x3'x5' .. maybe 6'

7. The Following User Liked This Post By Grey_Wolf

Grizz Axxemann (04-25-2021)

Know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til you understand who's in ruttin command here.

9. The Following User Liked This Post By Edward Teach

Grizz Axxemann (04-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf View Post
    I'm looking for something taller. Will probably have to build something. With the Bradley I can smoke only 12 - 15 lbs. of smokies at a time, each group for roughly 3 ish hours - with a 40 lb. batch that's a lot of time. I made my snack sticks shorter (slightly longer than a smokie) and could only get two hanging so same problem with room. Ideally the smoker would be 5 ish feet tall allowing for close to 4' hanging. Others I have talked with about this suggest a small fan to circulate the air and avoid hot/cold spots. It's a plan in the beginning stages, need to find a suitable shell to start with. Had considered stick built but at the cost of lumber these days it might be cheaper to buy the big one at Halfords lol
    Sounds great. I suppose when building a smokehouse you need to calculate how large the cuts of meat you plan to smoke. I somehow got a 7.5 kilogram of pork leg, so it did not fit into the smokehouse entirely.

Finally got my little not quite a pound chunk of back bacon on the smoker tonight. This one behaved pretty damn weird. It stalled out for almost an hour at 131F, when my target temp was 140. Had to bump the grill from 225 to almost 300 for the last 20 minutes to get it the rest of the way. I'll slice into it tomorrow after work and see how it tastes now that it's had a healthy dose of apple wood smoke.
    Yes, you can fix stupid, but the stupid folks have passed laws against it. - FallisCowboy

Quote Originally Posted by KayBur View Post
    Sounds great. I suppose when building a smokehouse you need to calculate how large the cuts of meat you plan to smoke. I somehow got a 7.5 kilogram of pork leg, so it did not fit into the smokehouse entirely.
    7.5 kgs! That's a big leg. If it's all cured now you could cut it in ha;f to smoke - assuming you don't want a 16.5 lb ham.....
    I'm not so worried about the cuts, most everything "whole" that I've wanted to put in there has fit, hanging enough sausage on the other hand....

Took the eldest step daughter out bear hunting the last few days. Well, baiting for the last few, actually sitting in the stand was tonight. Took a small boar (about 4 1/2' maybe a little more) at about 19:00. So now I run into the issue of getting enough sausage into the darn smoker again - hind legs will be cured as hams the rest into pepperoni. She was so excited about the whole thing - good to see and nice to be able to pass it on. Wouldn't have taken a small one but I had chased him away once already - he climbed half way up the tree to come see us. Came back an hour later. I looked at her and said this guy wants to die, she said yup, he died
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf; 05-04-2021 at 12:40 AM.

As I mentioned previously, I rinse the slab under running water after I take it out of the bag. I've let it sit in the fridge overnight to form the pellicle, but this last slab I didn't, since I had a small window to get it smoked. Lucky for me I've refined my fire management on the kettle a bunch since my first slab, and my smoke is a lot cleaner now. My first slab literally looked like a messed up chocolate cake, because the smoke wasn't really clean, so it was really dark brown on the outside. It still tasted great, though.

As for extra pepper, yes, you can add more before you smoke. Press it in a bit so it stays put. You can even do that before you dry it to form the pellicle. I don't because the little bit of liquid that forms in my bag helps draw the oils from the pepper into the meat, so I get pretty even flavor through the meat. At least I think that's what happens, because it's normally "just right" after the rinse.
    A great bacon making YouTube video just got uploaded a couple of days ago by The Butcher Boys.

They do comparisons between celery powder and nitrite cures. Then they compare cured bacon only and with rubs including pepper. They put the pepper on the slab just before it goes into the smoker. The rub application is at the 15:30 mark.

14. The Following User Liked This Post By YQR Reloader

Grizz Axxemann (05-08-2021)

So things got pretty busy for me and I didn't get into the back bacon until today. Damn was it tasty! I'll have to do a bigger piece next time. I'm also wondering if my dry EQ method would work on it.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast