Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    What do you guys think about old firearms in general? Is there any specific things to look for on them?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Shades View Post
    What do you guys think about old firearms in general? Is there any specific things to look for on them?
    Some of the best guns made, look for no signs of misuse or lack of proper care, little to no rust and a tight lockup and good bore. Most other things like a worn finish and cracks in stocks can be fixed with some TLC.
    Warning! some sarcasm, facetious behavior, satire, irony, dry humor, playful banter and more may or may not be involved in my postings. Please read anything I have written as being said in the most joyful and happy voice you can imagine.

To whom it may concern: I hereby declare I am not responsible for the debts incurred by one Justin Trudeau!

3. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By M1917 Enfield

Big-Boss-Man (04-24-2021), R&R Rancher (04-24-2021)

Absolutely nothing wrong with old guns. As M1917 says, exterior looks can always be fixed. Use your common sense. Does the action work easily and smoothly? Dry fire with a snap cap. Does it work? Is it smooth not gritty? Any parts loose or wobbly? If its a break action take the forend off and see if there is any play between barrel and action when closed. Inspect the inner workings if you can. Any signs of significant wear? Any signs that somebody Bubba’d a repair? Even better try it on a round of trap before you buy.

If you have joined or are thinking of joining a club go there and peruse the used guns for sale on the bulletin board. Let it be known that you are new to the sport and are looking to get a gun but are unsure what to get. Trapshooters will generally let a new guy try their baby if asked politely. It will help you figure out what you are looking for

As an example of how solid an older gun can be, I shoot a Perazzi TMX Special I bought used in 2014. According to the serial number it was built in 1985. It’s obviously not been a safe queen in its previous life. The bluing is worn on the sharp edges of the receiver. There are small nicks in the wood in places testifying to having moved in and out of outdoor range racks. The locking lever is getting close to 6 o’clock meaning a locking block replacement is somewhere in the future. However the action is rock solid. The trigger is clean and light and crisp. All in all it is mechanically sound and a target grinding machine that cost me 1/4 of what the new equivalent model would.
    In spite of all of man's grandiose achievements, he owes his continued existence to six inches of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

5. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By R&R Rancher

Dewey Cox (04-24-2021), M1917 Enfield (04-25-2021), Mr Shades (04-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by R&R Rancher View Post
    Absolutely nothing wrong with old guns. As M1917 says, exterior looks can always be fixed. Use your common sense. Does the action work easily and smoothly? Dry fire with a snap cap. Does it work? Is it smooth not gritty? Any parts loose or wobbly? If its a break action take the forend off and see if there is any play between barrel and action when closed. Inspect the inner workings if you can. Any signs of significant wear? Any signs that somebody Bubba’d a repair? Even better try it on a round of trap before you buy.

If you have joined or are thinking of joining a club go there and peruse the used guns for sale on the bulletin board. Let it be known that you are new to the sport and are looking to get a gun but are unsure what to get. Trapshooters will generally let a new guy try their baby if asked politely. It will help you figure out what you are looking for

As an example of how solid an older gun can be, I shoot a Perazzi TMX Special I bought used in 2014. According to the serial number it was built in 1985. It’s obviously not been a safe queen in its previous life. The bluing is worn on the sharp edges of the receiver. There are small nicks in the wood in places testifying to having moved in and out of outdoor range racks. The locking lever is getting close to 6 o’clock meaning a locking block replacement is somewhere in the future. However the action is rock solid. The trigger is clean and light and crisp. All in all it is mechanically sound and a target grinding machine that cost me 1/4 of what the new equivalent model would.
    Thanks guys Ill keep that in mind. I have the luxury of working in a store that carries used and new firearms, at some point something decent should show up.

If you don't have any shotguns, get an 870.
    You need one anyway, and you can shoot trap with it until you figure out what dedicated clays gun you need.
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

8. The Following User Liked This Post By Dewey Cox

Mr Shades (04-26-2021)

That’s an excellent suggestion Dewey. A Wingmaster with a 30” full choked barrel should be easy to find. Price would be right since its all but useless for waterfowling with steel shot. Those old fixed full choke Remington barrels generally threw a nice tight pattern with target size shot. You don’t need screw in chokes to shoot trap. The only modifications you may need is to add weight in the but stock and the magazine to help to help reduce recoil and to build the comb up with moleskin to get your eye in the right position every time.
    In spite of all of man's grandiose achievements, he owes his continued existence to six inches of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

10. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By R&R Rancher

M1917 Enfield (04-25-2021), Mr Shades (04-26-2021)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123