Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question from the other Ontario CA

Hello all. I'm in Ontario California and my wife and I are planning a long road trip for next summer. We are planning a trip to Alaska and back. We're figuring on being gone for about a month.

I am one of the few people (relatively speaking) in California that has a Carry Concealed Weapons license. I also hold permits the will cover OR and WA. I know that Canada does not allow that so I would not even think of doing that. I also know that I will need to apply for a RPAL well in advance of our trip.

Here's my question though. One of my carry guns; and the one I plan on bringing on my trip, is a Sig Sauer P320. I carry it in it's "Sub-compact" version witch has a 3.6" barrel. Now if I'm not wrong you guys have a 4.2" minimum requirement. I also have a "Full" size set up with a 4.6" barrel, so I will put it into that configuration while in Canada. Will I have any problems bringing in my 3.6" setup?

Thanks for your help and insight.

Jesse

Quote Originally Posted by morrcarr67 View Post
    Will I have any problems bringing in my 3.6" setup?
    If you're going to Alaska, you might be able to do some variation of mailing it to yourself. You'd know better than I if that's possible, likely with the assistance of an FFL.

But to drive it, through British Columbia -- that's a no no.
    You'd need a licence to possess it, but it's a prohibited firearm and no one can get a new prohibited licence in Canada.

3. The Following User Liked This Post By RangeBob

morrcarr67 (04-24-2021)

Canada Prohibited guns

Prohibited
    What's included in this class
    • Handguns with barrels equal to or less than 105 mm in length
    • Handguns designed or adapted to discharge a 25 or 32 calibre cartridge
      This does not include handguns for use in international sporting competitions governed by the rules of the International Shooting Union and where the handgun is prescribed to be restricted
    • Firearms adapted from a rifle or shotgun, whether by sawing, cutting or any other alteration, and that, as so adapted are:
      less than 660 mm in length
      • 660 mm or greater in length and has a barrel less than 457 mm in length
      • Automatic firearms, whether or not altered to discharge only one projectile with one pressure of the trigger
    • Firearms prescribed to be prohibited firearms in the Regulations

Essentially, when you get your RPAL,
    you'll also get registration certificates for any firearms you care to mention.

If the Canadian Firearms Program is willing to give you a registration certificate, then you can drive into Canada with that firearm.

i.e. you need both
    1. An RPAL for you, and
    2. a registration certificate for each restricted firearm (handguns, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    If you're going to Alaska, you might be able to do some variation of mailing it to yourself. You'd know better than I if that's possible, likely with the assistance of an FFL.

But to drive it, through British Columbia -- that's a no no.
    You'd need a licence to possess it, but it's a prohibited firearm and no one can get a new prohibited licence in Canada.
    I hadn't thought about that. So long as I'm just shipping the XChange Kit I won't have to use an FFL. This may be the best route as I could just mail it to our first hotel when we're ready to leave WA.

Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    Canada Prohibited guns

Prohibited
    What's included in this class
    • Handguns with barrels equal to or less than 105 mm in length
    • Handguns designed or adapted to discharge a 25 or 32 calibre cartridge
      This does not include handguns for use in international sporting competitions governed by the rules of the International Shooting Union and where the handgun is prescribed to be restricted
    • Firearms adapted from a rifle or shotgun, whether by sawing, cutting or any other alteration, and that, as so adapted are:
      less than 660 mm in length
      • 660 mm or greater in length and has a barrel less than 457 mm in length
      • Automatic firearms, whether or not altered to discharge only one projectile with one pressure of the trigger
    • Firearms prescribed to be prohibited firearms in the Regulations

Essentially, when you get your RPAL,
    you'll also get registration certificates for any firearms you care to mention.

If the Canadian Firearms Program is willing to give you a registration certificate, then you can drive into Canada with that firearm.

i.e. you need both
    1. An RPAL for you, and
    2. a registration certificate for each restricted firearm (handguns, etc)
    I'm probably going to go the route above, I just wanted to clarify something.

The code you posted states it's against the law to have "handgun" with a barrel less than 105mm. Canada would consider the XChange kit as a "handgun"?

Under US law this is the "firearm", Sig calls it the FCU or Fire Control Unit.

With one FCU you could have as many different "XChange" kits as you'd like.

Oh' and I have another question. Does Canada or BC have any laws on the magazine capacities? The ones I have for my full size XChange kit are 17 round magazines.

In Canada the firearm is the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by IJ22 View Post
    In Canada the firearm is the frame.
    Not on that firearm.
    Gun Control is about making it unlawful for you to use, carry, or possess a firearm.

All restrictions/prohibitions on the use, carriage, or possession of firearms must be repealed.

Middle ground?

What middle ground?

Oh' and I have another question. Does Canada or BC have any laws on the magazine capacities? The ones I have for my full size XChange kit are 17 round magazines.
    Handgun magazines are limited to ten rounds.

With pistols, the ‘firearm’ is generally considered the frame, but there are exceptions. If I had to fancy a guess, I’d go with the component that the manufacture decided to stamp the serial number on. But that’s just a guess...
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

9. The Following User Liked This Post By kennymo

morrcarr67 (04-24-2021)

The 3.6" barrel would be a problem. Mail it from a US address to US address using US postal/couriers or leave it at home. Magazines also need to be 10rd max permanently limited (a spacer temp inserted would not suffice.) The FCU is also the firearm in Canada (the serialized piece speciffically.)
    Remember High River!

11. The Following User Liked This Post By Neil Burke

morrcarr67 (04-24-2021)

some help here:
    https://www.royalalaskanmovers.com/firearms/

edit: from what I understand, it would be best to ship through a FFL for pistols, rifles will be fine, remembering Canada's odd magazine ideas, 5 rounds for center-fire self loading rifles

most AR style rifles are banned
    Last edited by Stew; 04-23-2021 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW .45 View Post
    Not on that firearm.
    Learn something new every day. Almost. Well, fewer and fewer days lately, but still.....

14. The Following User Liked This Post By IJ22

morrcarr67 (04-24-2021)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast