Some help with markings?

Hi All,
    I’ve got a photo of my grandfathers rifle and we were wondering about some of the marks. And off the shelf ammunition is good for it? Or is it too hot?

New Zealand image processing....

D65C5883-17D3-40E8-92F3-7A1568E4566C.jpg
    0F2A0987-C162-473D-8E83-F28E8C1C487E.jpg

303 bore, the rest are various proof testing marks and acceptance stamps from British Military inspectors. At least part of that is a proof test required by British law for any firearm exported from the country, they were applied to a lot of ex military rifles sold overseas post war.

The real meat & potatoes will be stamped on the steel ‘wrist’ between the stock and forearm. They also stamped some data onto the side of the butt, rebuild dates, sold out of service dates, etc... The Aussies went overboard, the butt stock is sometimes a complete history of the rifle’s service life.

Modern factory ammo is perfectly safe as long as the headspace is half decent and everything is in good working order. You’ll probably find it shoots surprisingly high with most factory hunting ammo.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

3. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By kennymo

grc1 (05-27-2021), SIR VEYOR (04-27-2021), Stew (04-28-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by SIR VEYOR View Post
    Hi All,
    I’ve got a photo of my grandfathers rifle and we were wondering about some of the marks. And off the shelf ammunition is good for it? Or is it too hot?

New Zealand image processing....

D65C5883-17D3-40E8-92F3-7A1568E4566C.jpg
    0F2A0987-C162-473D-8E83-F28E8C1C487E.jpg
    The older Government proof markings (Crown GR (King Georgian Reign) over crossed banner with P) are from 1918 when this Lee Enfield was first made and the other (Crowned BNP, is a post 1954 Birmingham Nitro Proof) are from later 1950/60's British Proof houses (Birmingham) that are mandated for all firearms sold into the private marketplace or for export as proscribed by a 1813 British parliament act or proof law. The other makings are the actual Birmingham Proof test (.303 bore with a 2.222" case length and passed a 18.5 tons per square inch proof load rating), the large 18 is year of manufacture (1918) and the other Crown over 3L and not clear letter (inspectors identification number) is the inspectors mark which looks like a BSA rifle manufacture mark to me.

Is your .303 made by BSA? look on the part of the receiver directly below the bolt handle ball knob to see.
    Warning! some sarcasm, facetious behavior, satire, irony, dry humor, playful banter and more may or may not be involved in my postings. Please read anything I have written as being said in the most joyful and happy voice you can imagine.

To whom it may concern: I hereby declare I am not responsible for the debts incurred by one Justin Trudeau!

5. The Following User Liked This Post By M1917 Enfield

SIR VEYOR (05-11-2021)

I’ve got a couple photos of the bolt area. Once I bounce them through the assorted devices, I’ll try to post them. Might rotate them upsid3 down to see if above the equator is possible