"My" Smoke house fail

Did a brine of 8 cups of brown sugar to 1 cup of salt. Used 1 1/2 cups of this mixture for 6 Rainbow trout fillets and they sat in the fridge for 24 hours in a dry type brine. They were almost translucent when I took them out. But the results didn't reach 165 degrees and I with my weak stomach am paying for it. Listeria monocytogenes is not a good thing. They tasted really good but my stomach paid dearly the last two days.
    Need to build that big hot smoker sooner than I thought. Too many "to do" list things getting in the way. Planting a big garden. Can't afford the grocery store prices. $5 for a head of cauliflower? Then there is the boat refurbishing.
    Going to look up my old recipe's for smoking fish and stick with that. I think it was 1 cup of salt and 1 cup of brown sugar in 1 gallon of water for 12 hours. I used that recipe for 400 lbs of salmon over the years.
    I need to stick with what I know works. Not keen on doing another smoke for a while!!
    Oh and if you don't have one, buy a meat thermometer to check internal temps. If you want to know why Look up Listeria monocytogenes.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    There is no place in an anti's head where reason can enter. from a Napoleon saying with a tweak.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because thatís the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

2. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By tigrr

barkerlakebob (06-02-2021), Rory McCanuck (06-03-2021)

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    This is why I always (by other people's standards) overcook my food. Being horribly color blind, I've always had to make sure things were thoroughly cooked in order to avoid exactly what you're going though. I've had food poisoning a few times over the years, and yeah, it royally sucks. Hope you're feeling better soon bud. It shouldn't last much longer.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    Did a brine of 8 cups of brown sugar to 1 cup of salt. Used 1 1/2 cups of this mixture for 6 Rainbow trout fillets and they sat in the fridge for 24 hours in a dry type brine. They were almost translucent when I took them out. But the results didn't reach 165 degrees and I with my weak stomach am paying for it. Listeria monocytogenes is not a good thing. They tasted really good but my stomach paid dearly the last two days.
    Need to build that big hot smoker sooner than I thought. Too many "to do" list things getting in the way. Planting a big garden. Can't afford the grocery store prices. $5 for a head of cauliflower? Then there is the boat refurbishing.
    Going to look up my old recipe's for smoking fish and stick with that. I think it was 1 cup of salt and 1 cup of brown sugar in 1 gallon of water for 12 hours. I used that recipe for 400 lbs of salmon over the years.
    I need to stick with what I know works. Not keen on doing another smoke for a while!!
    Oh and if you don't have one, buy a meat thermometer to check internal temps. If you want to know why Look up Listeria monocytogenes.
    Good advice for sure............take care now !!
    Nothing will F--k you up as much as the realization that there's no real reason the alphabet needs to be in order !!

There is no such thing as left over bacon !!

I dont mess around when smoking food. Hot smoke or no smoke. Smoked sausage always gets cured.

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    Wow that sucks.Hope it doesn't last too long and you're on the mend soon. I have a meat thermometer and would think it would be hard to check something as thin as trout fillets. I made 40 lbs, of snack sticks (used 19 mm casing) last fall and had a hard time getting a reading on them in the smoker. As a result some were over cooked, less than ideal. Better than under cooked but wasn't very enjoyable eating - definitely not the ones to give to friends