Hunt Group FD12 by O'Dell

I first saw the Hunt Group FD12 at SHOT Show 2020 and was very intrigued by the compactness of the bull pup box magazine design

I had the chance to see it again a month of two later at CSAAA 2020

Now O’Dell Engineering, the team behind the Canuck brand, is bringing them in with a little extra. The O’Dell guns are quality controlled by a boots on the ground employee (named Fatih) in Turkey. Guns that meet O’Dell’s standards are marked with an OD serial number and are fully supported for warranty work. Currently the O’Dell guns are only available in black and I had the chance to check one out at Select Shooting Supplies.

It has a nice weight to it given the abundance of metal components

I am really looking forward to test shooting one but it wont be easy as they sell so quickly.

Remember, keep an eye out for that OD serial number.

RL
    Last edited by RL1; 06-05-2021 at 05:13 PM.
    Win the crowd and you win your freedom

I need to put more rounds through mine. Disassembly is interesting, most of the threads are LH with one exception. The real thing to watch is with the lower now being polymer, make sure to take the handguard off first before separating the lower off. (aka read the f'n manual) It's possible to take the lower off before but I suspect if you do it too many times the part that interfaces with the handguard will get super worn and cause alignment and or fit issues issues down the line. That said, it's fine if you do the manual's proceedure.
    Remember High River!

good to hear from owners...great info thanks

RL
    Win the crowd and you win your freedom

I actually didn't see this thread until I ran into a hitch disassembling mine for the first time.
    The manual of course illustrates the optimal scenario, where everything just comes apart with fingertip pressure:

Ha! I needed a punch to drive them out, the little wire keeper springs gave that much resistance.
    Good, right?

Now here comes the hitch...
    Separating the barrel/slide assembly from the receiver looks dead simple, just like other shotguns I've had-

Pulling hard enough to make my face red doesn't budge it. Am I missing a trick somewhere?
    A closer look reveals a possible cause:

It looks almost as if the barrel alignment tab has been staked as part of the assembly process.
    Or was it just forced together in a ram, with an interference fit the object?
    Either way, it looks like I may have to Bubba a brand new gun. wtf

Is the silver nut loosened? You can see the nut to the left of the red circle in step 8's image. It needs to be completely unthreaded before you can take the barrel out.

The three I've seen all needed punches to get the pins out and the first time all nuts were super tight. (Had to use chanel locks on one of the black nuts.)
    Remember High River!

Thanks for responding, I always ask the obvious-sounding question first too, when trying to help someone remotely... but yes, it's undone. I can grab it and compress the spring while pulling.

Quote Originally Posted by LB303 View Post
    Thanks for responding, I always ask the obvious-sounding question first too, when trying to help someone remotely... but yes, it's undone. I can grab it and compress the spring while pulling.
    Yeah, sorry. I was trying to ask the proverbial "is it plugged in" type questions first while I was at a rest stop on the side of the road. Presumably the bolt can still be cycled by hand grabing the arms and there isn't anything binding there? If nothing's binding and throwing a crap ton of lube down it doesn't free the barrel, I'd reach out to O'Dell's warrant service for tips/opinions before bubba'ing the gun. Of the top of my head, that nut should have done it. I don't have the link on hand but there is a good youtube video about the FD12 showing diassembly and reassembly in addition to a review. It's about 30 mins long, but I found it useful the first couple of times doing maintenance.
    Remember High River!