AbHs Maccabee Defense Large Frame Straight pull Bolt-Action None-Restricted Rifle Build Thread

Hello there to all the members of GOC!!

My quest to make ALL the AR related parts useful, my focus has turned to the Large Frame (Read AR-10) parts bin. This new focus has recently lead me to another Canadian manufacture, namely Maccabee Defense Inc and there newly released None-Resisted Rifle receiver set.

Instead of rehashing all the spec’s I will simply provide a link so that one can do their own research.

NRR Reciver sets (Click the link if you would like to see more details)

However the Pro’s of this set for me were that:

1. Its large frame and will let me use the parts associate with the 308 family of cartridges
    2. It has a proper bolt catch
    3. Its made out of 7075 T6
    4. It has an upper and a lower in the more conventional sense
    5. It’s a none restricted platform and will stay that way as its overall length is greater that 660mm (making many shorter barrels useful again!!)

The major con’s are as follows:
    1. The upper receiver requires a proprietary sized action rod for barrel installation, which is an additional expense
    2. MacDef is working on solving this Action bar supply issue, as of the writing of this post, they are not available yet
    3. There are no assembly instructions included (The serial number on my set was under 50 so this may change in the future)
    4. tolerances in many areas are unnecessarily tight!!

That being said if one gets creative you can still assemble them!! With that in mind I thought I might share my experiences in working with my personal NRR build.

Before we proceed the following are just my thoughts and experiences working with the above mentioned. You may or may not agree with what I have to say, and I welcome comments and criticisms as long as the shared in a constructive well though out manor. With that out of the way lets proceed.............

Installment #1 - Receiver sets.

Right now these sets can be hard to come by. However poking around on one of my favorite boards I was able to find a new set for a reasonable price and snapped it up in a heart beat!!

The following are from when my set just arrived:

If you have a close look you will see that this set does not use take down pins, Instead it uses “wings” so to speak and the upper “slides onto the lower and is held in place via a hex screw.

Well I had some time this last weekend and I started to work on assembling my rifle.

Instalment 2: building the rifle

There were quite a few challenges, and when I have some more time I will elaborate futher, however suffice it to say while some were more time consuming than others, none were insurmountable.

Installment 3: Build progress - Rifle nearing completion!!

The following is the first or Mod 0 iteration of my build (as its not fully complete!!)

For now specs are as follows:
    Upper
    • Muzzle Treatment - TBD
    • MRA Gas port clamp 0.750 spec (Gen 1)
    • IBI 19" Hunter Profile barrel
    • Aero Precision Atlas R-1 12" M-Lock Rail
    • TNA M-Lok Rail Section
    • DPMS 308 Nitrided Bolt Assembly with 308 Cam pin, Firing pin, DPMS Style fixed retaining pin
    • NRR Carrier with side bolt handle
    • NRR Upper receiver

Lower
    • NRR Lower Receiver
    • Stag fire control group
    • Aero Precision 308 Bolt catch assembly with threaded pin, detent and spring
    • Aero Precision Magazine catch assembly (shoe, spring and button)
    • Selector Assembly (safety, spring and detent)
    • Stag Hogue Pistol Grip (Gen 1)
    • Mil-spec Extended 308 carbine buffer tube with Lock ring and End plate
    • 308 Rifle length buffer spring with standard Ar-15 Carbine buffer
    • Moe Mil-spec Carbine stock Black

Optics Package - TBD

Final configuration and Live fire testing is still pending, however the rifle has passed head space and manual feeding tests, and bolt-hold-open tests with flying colors.

A word on Mags:

When you work with MacDef products, one comes to expect tight tolerances. The mag-well dimensions were no exception.

I went through my entire magazine stash and the only mags that I could get to fit were the excellent IMI polymer mags. (pictured below)

The fit is tight enough that these will NOT drop free, however that may change with use.

Any how I have rambled long enough.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and I look forward to your constructive comments.

Until next time.

Regards

AbH
    Last edited by AbHobbyist; 07-06-2021 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Installment #3 updated

2. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By AbHobbyist

Aniest (06-08-2021), Haywire1 (06-09-2021), Lee Enfield (06-08-2021), lone-wolf (06-08-2021)

Installment 4: The completed rifle

Hello all I know some time has passed, however now that things are STARTING to return to normal from Pandemic status, I found myself with some time to spend on this project and to add the final pieces to complete my NRR puzzle!!

The following is the Second or Mod 1 iteration of my build as the rifle is now complete and ready for live fire testing.

The following were the items still pending:

Muzzle Treatment

One of my favorite muzzle treatments is the Canadian Made Spectre Ballistics Aegis-30 Muzzle Brake with Blast Shield!!

I find this to be and excellent value for the money spent with a lot of feature one would find in a much more expensive package. It looks as follows:

Now a recent development is that SBI will no longer be selling this muzzle treatment, and as such I bought the final 3 that they had in stock. However some web sleuthing turned up gungear.ca, and it seem that they still have some of these in stock. I sent them and email to see if this was a product there were going to continue to sell or if they were down to their final inventory. As of the writing of this they have not gotten back to me, but here is hoping!!

Now the following is taken from the gungear.ca website and the spec of said treatment are as follows

Quote Originally Posted by From the gungear.ca website
    Brake Features:
    • 48 ports for extreme recoil reduction.
    • Compact and lightweight.
    • 5/8-24 Threads.
    • For all calibers up to diameter 0.312″ (IE: 308 Winchester, 7.62x39mm, 6.5 Creedmore, 30-06 Springfield, and more!!)
    • Includes 1x 5/8″ Crush Washer
    • Solid 4140 Steel Construction.
    • Black Parkerized Finish.

Blast Shield Features:

• Solid 4140 Steel Construction.
    • Black Parkerized Finish.
    • Eliminates dust signature.
    • Eliminates muzzle flash.
    • Sends concussive blast down range
    The Carbine Stock

The mod 0 iteration of my build featured a Magpul Moe (mil-spec) carbine stock. This is a fine stock however I much prefer the locking ability of the CTR. and I further upgraded the stock by adding a Magpul MAG317-BLK Enhanced Rubber Butt-Pad (0.70")

This is after all a 308, with more recoil than 223/5.56 cartridge. In its final configuration the stock looked thus:

Optic an mount package

For testing purpose there is one optics package that I keep coming back to. I am comfortable with the reticle and I have found the optic and mount to be entirely reilable!!

They consist of:

Optic: Cabela's Covenant Tactical SFP Rifles cope in the 4-16 x 44 30mm main body TAC 32 reticle

Anti-Cant Device: Wheeler 30mm Anti-Cant Device

Mount: Desert Tech HD Ultralight Scope 34mm Mount with 30mm Inserts (Gen 1 with Base screws = 68 inch/lbs and ring screws=15 inch/lbs)

The Optics package looks as follows:

The Completed Mod 1 Build

So with that out of the way here are a few glamor shots of the entire rifle:

Left Side

Right Side

Well that is all well and good, but how does the rifle preform?

Live Fire testing - Accuray

So I packed it all up and headed down to my local in-door range.

I took 3 type of ammo with me.

Please note that all reloading information is provided only for information purposes, and that what is safe and works for me may not be for you!! As such us at your own risk!!

First I had my 155 SMK DMR Reloaded practice rounds consisting of:
    • Winchester brass Trimmed to 2.05 (Primer Pocket NOT unified)
    • 155 Sierra Match King HPBT
    • ~43.0 gr. (+/-0.4 gr) H4895 Powder
    • CCI 200 (Large Rifle)
    • OAL to AR-10 mag length
    • Loaded on Dec 2012 with my Dillion 550B reloaded

Next I had my AR-10 Precision rounds rounds consisting of:
    • Winchester brass Trimmed to 2.05 (Primer Pockets unified)
    • 175 Sierra Match King HPBT
    • 43.0 gr. Hodgdon Varget
    • Russian Large Rifle
    • OAL to AR-10 mag length
    • Loaded on June 2014 using my RCBS Rock chucker

Finally I had some Fiocchi 165 grain Game King Factory rounds

My bench set up looked as follows:

Unless other wise Noted, all rounds were fired ad 49.5M which is the maximum distance for my indoor range. Also fore refenece sake the Diamonds on the load development target are tilted 1/2" squares.

155 Grain results

Fist to get on paper at 25M (there are three shots there)

Next we move to 49.5M

175 Grain results

165 Grain results

I found the accuracy to be quite consistent across all projectile weights with my reloads having the accuracy edge over factory. However to be fair my reloads were specifically developed for the AR-10 barrel!!

Live Fire testing - Function

The function of the rifle was excellent!! The spent brass ejected easily and positively at about 4:30 (which is the angle one strives for in auto-loaders) and it fed well as long as one did not "ride" the forward stroke and just let the bolt "fly" so to speak

Well that is all that I have time for now.

Updates as time permits.

As always I look forward to any and all constructive comments you might have, and I will do my best to field any questions.

Warmest regards

AbH
    Last edited by AbHobbyist; 07-05-2021 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Added addtional content

Thank you very much for sharing this, really appreciate it. DId you buy / try the Maple Ridge Armory Maverick kit? There are a lot of videos now available liely as they have had a head start with their Renegade and now Maverick kits. But I am curious as to which one is best for building. Also I have BCL 102 6.5CM upper that can feed the upper parts. I read DPMS parts very where, will BCL 102 barrel and parts fit?

The Maverick had an issue with AR10 cam pin firing pin retainer does not fit so AR14 retainer I have heard works and magazine catch it quite tight. But overall people seem to be happy about it. Any way looking forward to more inputs and feedback on tis and Maverick.

Jam-Tac

Well thank you for the kind words!!

I will do my best to answer your questions in your text

Quote Originally Posted by JAM-TAC
    Thank you very much for sharing this, really appreciate it.
    You are most welcome!!

DId you buy / try the Maple Ridge Armory Maverick kit?
    No I have not worked with the maverick kit, however I have a reasonable amount of experience with the MRA Renegade kit and detailed it HERE (Click the link if you would like to see more details)

There are a lot of videos now available liely as they have had a head start with their Renegade and now Maverick kits. But I am curious as to which one is best for building??
    I can' really answer that one as I have only worked with the NRR in the large frame, and have yet to work with the MRA Maverick large frame.

To this point I have not even shot my NRR so there is no real experience to share there, and anything else would simply be based on personal preference, and that is hardly an objective measure.

Also I have BCL 102 6.5CM upper that can feed the upper parts. I read DPMS parts very where, will BCL 102 barrel and parts fit?
    For parts compatibility it would really depend on which BCL your had. The BCL mark7 it totally DPMS patern.

Previous versions used DPMS compatible BCG's and barrels, with Armalite thread pattern on the receivers and free float tubes. Armalite pattern is not compatible with DPMS pattern, so that pattern would not work with the NRR (which I understand is DPMS compatible)

The Maverick had an issue with AR10 cam pin firing pin retainer does not fit so AR14 retainer I have heard works and magazine catch it quite tight. But overall people seem to be happy about it. Any way looking forward to more inputs and feedback on tis and Maverick.
    I was not aware of that!! See you learn something new every day. Sometimes a bolt catch can be stiff, especially in a large frame when the threaded pin is tightened to much. The solution for that is to back it off 1/8-1/4 of a turn and then apply some blue loc-tite to hold it in place. The only down side of this is that one needs to use a heat gun to soften the loc-tite should you want to remove that pin.

Food for thought........

regards

AbH
    Last edited by AbHobbyist; 06-14-2021 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Typo's fixed

Any updates on this? Haven't found much feedback on these and I am considering one for a hunting build.

G.Mitchell

Thank you for your interest.

I apologize for the delay in responding, however I just returned from some much needed vacation time with my family!!

As this point I have not made it to the range for live fire testing but do hope to rectify that soon.

I promise I will update this thread as soon as I can, in the mean time if you have any further questions I will do my best to field them!!

Thanks for your interest in my thread

regards

AbH

Additional material added to original post!!

Installment 3 - edited and updated

Installment 4 - added with final configuration, live fire testing and accuracy work!!