Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Intro long range rifle

Well I am looking at getting into longer range shooting and looking for some suggestions with regard to rifles. I ideally want to stay with 308 win and keep the price of the rifle around 1500 or so. I would be trying shooting out to about 600 yards at the moment.

So far I have looked at a Savage 110 tactical, Remington 700 Police and a Begara HMR. I figured some of you guys have some first hand experience with these rifles or have other suggestions.

Canadian ForcesShort end of the Ban Stick normmus's Avatar
    At that price point I would also consider a Tikka

Personally, I’d buy a used Savage 10TR and spend the rest on glass. The used rifle will sell for close to what you pay when you want to upgrade or get out of the sport. Good glass is critical to ensuring that you can learn to shoot the rifle properly. I would not recommend buying a Vortex scope, despite the cost.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    I'll just second the part about staying away from the Vortex scopes.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Funny, I've had zero issues with the Vortex scope on my F-class rifle.
    "When government grows, freedom shrinks." - US Senate candidate for Alaska, Kelly Tshibaka.

6. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By stevebc

awndray (06-10-2021), Camo tung (06-10-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
    Personally, I’d buy a used Savage 10TR and spend the rest on glass. The used rifle will sell for close to what you pay when you want to upgrade or get out of the sport. Good glass is critical to ensuring that you can learn to shoot the rifle properly. I would not recommend buying a Vortex scope, despite the cost.
    That may not be a bad idea. I was figuring on spending about 1000 to 1500 on glass. Scopes are one of those areas where I am pretty clueless. My other rifles all either have traditional 3x9 hunting scopes, eotechs, red dots or are iron sited.

Quote Originally Posted by stevebc View Post
    Funny, I've had zero issues with the Vortex scope on my F-class rifle.
    I have to wonder what kind of savages frequent this forum. I've had no issues with My F150, my Vortex Viper or gas station sushi...
    btw: I bought a Savage LRP 12 in 6.5 as an entry level target gun and have seen no reason to upgrade.
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

9. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Camo tung

3MTA3 (06-14-2021), awndray (06-10-2021), Big-Boss-Man (06-11-2021)

Ditto. Savage 10TR with a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 MRAD. No problemo. Even when I drive to the range in my F150. Also never had a problem with the Ram 1500 for that matter. Maybe I'm not hard on my gear. Maybe I maintain it. Maybe I'm lucky. Whatever it is, they all perform well and can do more than I need them to.

11. The Following User Liked This Post By awndray

Camo tung (06-10-2021)

If looking for a budget long range shooter , it is tough to beat a Savage for the money ; and there are lots of good used ones around as well .
    " Fate whispers to the warrior, ‘You cannot withstand the storm.’ The warrior whispers back, ‘I am the storm. " .... " And I looked , and behold a pale horse ; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him."...." Where we go one , we go all "....

When I get mine -probably a leftie Bergara hmr in .308- I was thinking the Vortex Venom 5-25 x 56 FFP EBR-7C seems decent for the price, and by the time I have saved enough for the rig there will be some reviews out on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast