Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzikal View Post
    I am about 5 hrs north of you. Thankfully our range is still open (I was out there for the first time yesterday - that write up is coming)!

But yes, If I ever plan a trip that side I will be sure to hit you up and put a face to the name. :-)
    Sounds good.
    "Everything Government touches turns to shit."

Interesting to watch a newbie grow....I don't have kids so I'll just watch you....easy there lil fellah.... it'll be allright....there you go.....

Hahaha seriously, you'll find all kinds of help here. Best of luck to you!!

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    Im going to share 2 pearls of wisdom with you that will have your wife looking forward to seeing new guns come into the house for the piddly sum of $200 per year. You need to do these in order.

First is achieving "critical mass". Critical mass seems to be around 10 gun for most people. Thats the number of guns you need to have that makes it impossible for your wife to know that a new gun has popped up in the collection.

The second part of the plan is the "$200 per year investment guns and the payoff" plan. When you just cant sneak a new gun into the house, bring it in right in front of her. When she protests, tell her you only bought it because you got it cheap and you're putting it up for sale for more. The payoff is when, about every 6 months, you walk up to her and plant a hundred dollar bill in her hand. When she asks what its for, you ask her if she remembers that gun you bought. Well honey, I sold it for $200 more than I paid for it, and the $100 bill in your hand is your half. Of course, you didnt sell anything, but theres enough guns in your critical mass that she cant tell.

My wife really likes it when I bring new guns home or when they arrive in the mail. It took me a few years of being brow beaten in order to achieve critical mass, but once I got there, its been smooth sailing ever since. You're welcome.
    Or you tape up an old rifle box and say you're heading to the post office. Recycle the box to dispose of the evidence. Either way, you make a big deal about heading to the post office. If you need to spend some money there, they even sell gift cards for various places. Just be sure to loose the itemized receipt.

4. The Following User Liked This Post By JustBen

blacksmithden (07-18-2021)

Entry Two - Getting set up

I decided to get that first rifle, but with a hesitant (yet gracious) wife and a house full of kids, I made a covenant that I was gonna do it right. So I went and did the PAL, learned about guns and safety and all that jazz. Next step was to get the house ready for the change. Off to Canadian tire (CT) I went and caught one of their sales on gun cabinets ($150):

20210707_211721.jpg

Yes, I know you guys are gonna say that I should have just gone for at least a 12-gun cabinet but in my mind, I was never gonna need that much space anyway. I will admit that I am already seeing that I may need to upgrade down the road though....no need to rub it in.

So with cabinet bought, assembled and installed, my next purchase was a run-of-the-mill gun case for transport. I treated that purchase like I was shopping for a lap-top bag: make sure it is padded and has compartments. Those basic criteria gave me quite a list to choose from so I just went on amazon, pointed and clicked ($36).

Next, was the big day! I went to work, finished my shift, then headed back to CT and picked up this little starter:

20210716_135414.jpg

...a Savage 64F semi-auto .22lr.

From my research, it came down to this and the 10/22. A lot of folks complained about the 64F jamming and not firing, very few had anything bad to say about the 10/22. I chose to roll the dice on the 64F because it was a hell of a lot cheaper ($170), there were some people who swore by it, I was new to the whole thing and would have just as much to learn if I bought a $2,000 piece, and the purchases were beginning to add up.

I picked up a 100 pack of cartridges the same time and headed home agrinning. That night I went online and purchased a range membership ($150), a cleaning kit from amazon ($30) and ear muffs/glasses ($30).

Having parted ways with just under $700 (taxes included), I was now ready for my first trip to the range, which I shall share on the next episode of this yet-to-be-titled documentary.
    Last edited by Muzikal; 07-16-2021 at 03:27 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Muzikal

blacksmithden (07-16-2021), Rory McCanuck (07-17-2021)

One point about that cleaning kit- if it's got one of those aluminum sectional cleaning rods that you screw together- don't use it. They have a bad habit of breaking/jamming, and otherwise coming apart, leaving sections stuck in the barrel.

A one piece rod, such as a Dewey's, is the way to go.

8. The Following User Liked This Post By stevebc

Rory McCanuck (07-17-2021)

I am about 5 hrs north of you. Thankfully our range is still open (I was out there for the first time yesterday - that write up is coming)!

But yes, If I ever plan a trip that side I will be sure to hit you up and put a face to the name. :-)
    I assume more Dawson Creek area? My sister lives in Grande Prairie and I am supposed to make my way up there sometime to go shooting with her and her friend, maybe we can work something out to get you trying pistols too.

...a Savage 64F semi-auto .22lr.
    Good choice, I actually want to get a takedown version myself. I have the Winchester Wildcat and it is a lot of fun too.

I picked up a 100 pack of cartridges the same time and headed home agrinning. .
    You could find that you can go through a hundred rounds of 22lr in about 30 mins LOL

Quote Originally Posted by stevebc View Post
    One point about that cleaning kit- if it's got one of those aluminum sectional cleaning rods that you screw together- don't use it. They have a bad habit of breaking/jamming, and otherwise coming apart, leaving sections stuck in the barrel.

Personally I use a bore snake for my guns instead of the rods. I find it easier.

I find in my 9mm and .30 cal guns the bore snakes work well, I had an almost new .22 cal snake break in my .22 lr pistol, which doesn’t lend itself to a good time.
    I will never use one in .22 or smaller again. I’m thankful it never broke in a rifle.

I’m sure lots of people have used them successfully with no issues.

11. The Following User Liked This Post By Swingerguy

Big-Boss-Man (07-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by stevebc View Post

I bought this one:

https://www.amazon.ca/BOOSTEADY-Clea...dDbGljaz10cnVl

What say you?

Quote Originally Posted by Big-Boss-Man View Post
    I assume more Dawson Creek area? My sister lives in Grande Prairie and I am supposed to make my way up there sometime to go shooting with her and her friend, maybe we can work something out to get you trying pistols too.

I am close to PG so Dawson is a bit of a drive. In any event, let me know how things progress and we'll see how it goes.

The invite was top-notch man! I appreciate it.

14. The Following User Liked This Post By Muzikal

Big-Boss-Man (07-16-2021)

I've never used a bore snake, but you'll probably be fine with that.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast