Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The snake I used was a Hoppes brand Bore Snake that has 2 sets of brass brush sections and the pull cord came out of the main part of the snake when the 2nd set of brushes entered the bore.
    CC04D9AE-D7AD-45F4-8BC6-73A61E3BD2BD.jpg

I can’t comment on the one you have as a part of your kit as I have not used one.

mine are similar to your Swingerguy, so same I am not sure on the ones in the kit, but I am sure you can't go wrong with them.

Entry Three - First Range Day

Great! I now have everything that I need to start off (based on my humble opinion), so its time to take this thing on the road. A quick 25 minute trip on a nice clear afternoon took me to the local shooting range. Prior to making the trip I had stopped off at the local tactical store and gotten basic instructions from the veteran behind the counter about how the range worked. It was all gibberish to me at the time but once I drove up, it made perfect sense.

I got down to the line and joined the lone other shooter there (this was 3pm in the afternoon) - a rugged-looking but well-mannered kid who was easily half my age. I introduced myself and we exchanged pleasantries. He was there sighting in his girlfriend's 7mm-08 hunting rifle while getting the rust off his own technique with his 7mm.

He wasn't wearing the typical ear muffs and glasses that you see in the movies, so I thought that recommendation from my PAL instructor was just overkill. The first shot he took from his rifle had my ears ringing! Man!!! That thing was loud!!!

I quickly, but discretely slid those bad boys over my ears as I set up my pea shooter.

I alerted my fellow-shooter that I was heading down-range, stapled up my target at 50 yards and headed back to the bench. I read online that the 64F tends to jam when firing from a full mag so I chose to only load 6 in for the first go-round. Mag in, cartridge chambered, rifle raised, sights lines up, safety off.............Trigger pulled!!! The first shot I got off brought a smile to my face! I HAD FINALLY FIRED A GUN!!! I proceeded to proudly empty the mag before heading down range to confirm my hits.

I grinned as I headed to the target, just like a University graduate going to collect his diploma. When I got there, I saw that NOT ONE SINGLE BULLET HAD INTERACTED WITH THE TARGET!!!!

Myself and the young-un had a good laugh at my marksmanship while I reloaded. I will spare the step by step by saying that it took me 80 shells to produce what is pictured below:

20210716_135519.jpg

Point of the story: A rifle scope is needed.....ASAP!
    Question for the group: How often would you suggest a rifle cleaning?
    Last edited by Muzikal; 07-18-2021 at 01:08 PM.

4. The Following User Liked This Post By Muzikal

blacksmithden (07-20-2021)

First of welcome,

Not sure where you are but go to https://mapleseedrifleman.com/ and check for the closest event(shooting clinic) and sign up. Also in the files section there are downloadable targets.

Might I suggest printing and shooting at 25yd targets to start. Looking at your target, my first impression is lack of consistency in sight alignment. While a scope will simplify sighting

somewhat take the time to learn to shoot iron sights. There is more to shooting then simply lining up the cross hairs.

In the beginning you have to be careful not to ingrain bad habits which are tougher to unlearn. Keep things simple at first, for some reading/research look for "four marksmanship
    principles". Also YouTube has some good video on basic shooting/marksmanship.

6. The Following User Liked This Post By ESnel

Muzikal (07-18-2021)

You should pick a closer target to start. Even with open sights you should hit the target every single time.

8. The Following User Liked This Post By JustBen

Muzikal (07-18-2021)

@Esnel:

I just checked out the rifleman site and the events are either in Ontario or alberta. I am in BC so that might take some doing. You made some good points though and I appreciate each one. I will sit at the feet of the youtube masters in the days to come.

Quote Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
    You should pick a closer target to start. Even with open sights you should hit the target every single time.
    this x2

even if/when you put an optic on the rifle it is recommendable to start the sight-in process at 25yards to ensure you are even on paper, then move out to your desired distance [some people will say at 100 yard intervals for the really long range stuff]

I echo what the others said already.

For me, there is nothing more frustrating than not knowing where I am hitting.

So yeah, shoot a bit closer until you can be more consistent and possibly use a more visible target like the splatterburst (available at gun shops, amazon, etc):

If your range has a gong, that's always fun. If your range has any disciplines like silhouette, cowboy action, etc, those are great places to meet fellow shooters and most of them are happy to help a new guy learn the ropes.

If you do put a site on your rifle, like a scope or a red dot, sighting in might be frustrating the first time too, but don't be shy to ask for help. That guy with the 7mm probably would have been happy to help you site in your rifle if you had an optic on it and needed assistance.

12. The Following User Liked This Post By chuckufarlie

Big-Boss-Man (07-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by chuckufarlie View Post
    That guy with the 7mm probably would have been happy to help you site in your rifle if you had an optic on it and needed assistance.
    everyone I have met at the ranges I have been to are REALLY friendly. There has been more than a few occasions where other members have traded me a magazine in order to try out their firearms, and visa versa. I have tried a 9mm Sprinfield XDS, ruger comander 45acp 1911, a winchester 30-30 lever, and an SKS thats all i can think off the top of my head. I've let other try all mine aswell. Specially the Masada cause I am so blown away how soft it shoots for being polymer I think everyone needs one lol.

Yeah - I've accepted that I probably started off with a target that was too far away. I'll chalk that up to youthful exuberance. :-)

Round 2...coming up!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast