Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Muzical, are you squeezing the trigger (slow steady increase in pressure until it goes off), or pulling the trigger (it's on target, quick, pull it before the sights wander off target)?

What is your sight picture when you're aiming? You should have the front sight post equally spaced from side to side within the rear sight, and the top of the post should be level with the top of the rear sight. Also, try a 6 o'clock hold, where the black centre of your target is sitting on top of the front sight post.

As for cleaning, I'd let that go for quite a while. I don't clean until I see accuracy drop off.
    "Everything Government touches turns to shit."

There should really be a semi-organized program where people who grew up with firearms take people who got into it at an older age under their wing. There's a lot of little things you take for granted.

3. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By Grimlock

Big-Boss-Man (07-19-2021), Muzikal (07-20-2021), Rory McCanuck (07-20-2021), stevebc (07-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by stevebc View Post
    Muzical, are you squeezing the trigger (slow steady increase in pressure until it goes off), or pulling the trigger (it's on target, quick, pull it before the sights wander off target)?

As for cleaning, I'd let that go for quite a while. I don't clean until I see accuracy drop off.
    I have read a lot of posts about 'squeezing' vs 'pulling' the trigger, and was very cognizant of the need to squeeze. However, I have to admit that the bolded section of your post above was in my mind more often than I'd like while I was shooting. I take that as an indication that I may be pulling more than squeezing.

5. The Following User Liked This Post By Muzikal

Rory McCanuck (07-20-2021)

I misread the title- I thought it was "The Journey of a Newfie" and thought it was about moving home from the oil patch or something- Welcome to the forum , happy shooting- Mapleseed like was mentioned before is a god start.
    "You Cannot Comply Your Way Out of Tyranny"

7. The Following User Liked This Post By 3MTA3

JustBen (07-22-2021)

Lucky you!!!

While I am waiting for my PAL, I am also researching gun ranges here in and around the Greater Toronto Area, there seems to be a wait list + signatures from existing members + probationary period.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzikal View Post
    Entry Two - Getting set up

I decided to get that first rifle, but with a hesitant (yet gracious) wife and a house full of kids, I made a covenant that I was gonna do it right. So I went and did the PAL, learned about guns and safety and all that jazz. Next step was to get the house ready for the change. Off to Canadian tire (CT) I went and caught one of their sales on gun cabinets ($150):

Attachment 33332

Yes, I know you guys are gonna say that I should have just gone for at least a 12-gun cabinet but in my mind, I was never gonna need that much space anyway. I will admit that I am already seeing that I may need to upgrade down the road though....no need to rub it in.

So with cabinet bought, assembled and installed, my next purchase was a run-of-the-mill gun case for transport. I treated that purchase like I was shopping for a lap-top bag: make sure it is padded and has compartments. Those basic criteria gave me quite a list to choose from so I just went on amazon, pointed and clicked ($36).

Next, was the big day! I went to work, finished my shift, then headed back to CT and picked up this little starter:

Attachment 33331

...a Savage 64F semi-auto .22lr.

From my research, it came down to this and the 10/22. A lot of folks complained about the 64F jamming and not firing, very few had anything bad to say about the 10/22. I chose to roll the dice on the 64F because it was a hell of a lot cheaper ($170), there were some people who swore by it, I was new to the whole thing and would have just as much to learn if I bought a $2,000 piece, and the purchases were beginning to add up.

I picked up a 100 pack of cartridges the same time and headed home agrinning. That night I went online and purchased a range membership ($150), a cleaning kit from amazon ($30) and ear muffs/glasses ($30).

Having parted ways with just under $700 (taxes included), I was now ready for my first trip to the range, which I shall share on the next episode of this yet-to-be-titled documentary.

Quote Originally Posted by luckychingi View Post
    Lucky you!!!

While I am waiting for my PAL, I am also researching gun ranges here in and around the Greater Toronto Area, there seems to be a wait list + signatures from existing members + probationary period.
    Contact a range that you are interested in they may have in their bylaws that the board can sponsor new memberships, that is how I got into my range without knowing anyone.

Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Big-Boss-Man View Post
    Contact a range that you are interested in they may have in their bylaws that the board can sponsor new memberships, that is how I got into my range without knowing anyone.

11. The Following User Liked This Post By luckychingi

Big-Boss-Man (08-28-2021)

Entry 4

Man, Its been a busy summer! Me and the family did way more road trips than we planned, not to mention some special projects that work decided to throw my way just because....

As a result, I wasn't been able to have a rematch with the targets at the range....up until a couple days ago. First off, since my last abysmal showing at the range, I went and got a scope and mounted it to my rifle. I got this one: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had initially intended to get the scope from Canadian Tire, but they sell everything in pieces. I would have to get the scope, then the mounting rings, then the dovetail mounts,....I didn't want to have to deal with all that. So when I stumbled on this all-in-one 'kit' on Amazon, I decided to give to give a try and it worked out very well for me. I had it mounted on the rifle for just over a month before I was able to start the sighting in process. I say 'start' because I still don't have it set just right yet. I was getting close, but I had an appointment and had to skedaddle in the middle of the session.

So on this particular day, I got all my gear together (including a different brand of ammo - I am trying to see what the rifle will/won't take) and headed out. This time I went to the 22 section of the range and set up with a closer target - about 10 or so yards. You might recall that at my last session I was shooting with a guy half my age. This time I was blessed to have a guy twice my age who was tightening up his groups...even though I don't know how much tighter you can get than putting 4 bullets in the same hole from 100yds.

With his help I was able to walk away feeling very good about myself and my future in this hobby (see image below). I have numbered my groups to show the progression through the session. He also taught me how to get rid of that halo in the scope and gave me tips about scope placement, shooting posture, etc. He was a god-send.

I plan to get back out there in the coming days to really tighten my groups as I have set a goal of at least one grouse by the end of the season.

20210921_215241.jpg

Cheers all!

I remember when I first started lurking around this forum, I had asked for recommendations on that "one gun" that I should buy. Someone (I forget who) had corrected me, saying that the question should be "which gun to buy FIRST".

I laughed it off. I wasn't about to become one of those gun nuts with a collection of boom sticks.

Well, I have recently been reminded about the dangers of memorizing one's credit card info and randomly searching things on the internet.

This came in a few days ago....

20211007_155729.jpg

14. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Muzikal

Big-Boss-Man (10-25-2021), JustBen (10-11-2021), Swingerguy (10-12-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    Im going to share 2 pearls of wisdom with you that will have your wife looking forward to seeing new guns come into the house for the piddly sum of $200 per year. You need to do these in order.

First is achieving "critical mass". Critical mass seems to be around 10 gun for most people. Thats the number of guns you need to have that makes it impossible for your wife to know that a new gun has popped up in the collection.

The second part of the plan is the "$200 per year investment guns and the payoff" plan. When you just cant sneak a new gun into the house, bring it in right in front of her. When she protests, tell her you only bought it because you got it cheap and you're putting it up for sale for more. The payoff is when, about every 6 months, you walk up to her and plant a hundred dollar bill in her hand. When she asks what its for, you ask her if she remembers that gun you bought. Well honey, I sold it for $200 more than I paid for it, and the $100 bill in your hand is your half. Of course, you didnt sell anything, but theres enough guns in your critical mass that she cant tell.

My wife really likes it when I bring new guns home or when they arrive in the mail. It took me a few years of being brow beaten in order to achieve critical mass, but once I got there, its been smooth sailing ever since. You're welcome.
    This is bloody brilliant.
    CCFR, CSSA, NFA, BCWF S.74

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast