Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

The Journey of a Newbie

As the title would suggest, I am new to entire gun scene. When I was considering taking the plunge into this side of things, I searched for stories of others who might have made said decision later on in life. I find that most people who are into shooting were either born into it, or started soon after birth. This was not very encouraging to this late-bloomer to be honest, so I thought that I would document my journey to this point and beyond just in case it could benefit someone in the years to come. If this is in the wrong section on the forum, please feel free to move it to where it belongs [mods]. I really wasn't sure where to put it.

Also, since I am going to be retracing my steps at some points, I am going to be doing separate entries so that I don't end up writing one long book that nobody wants to read and is hard for anyone to comment on.

So here goes......

2. The Following 7 Users Like This Post By Muzikal

awndray (08-27-2021), Big-Boss-Man (07-15-2021), blacksmithden (07-15-2021), chickenwing (07-16-2021), JustBen (07-16-2021), R&R Rancher (07-15-2021), Rory McCanuck (07-15-2021)

The Journey Begins

I currently live in BC but I am from a place where, if you are not military or police, you only have a gun if you were a criminal or a target for criminals. There was/is no room for collectors or hobbyists. The cost and bureaucracy associated with gun ownership was too much unless you had millions to protect or you were into shady activities that produced millions. Plus, my mama was not about that life for her boys, we weren't even allowed to have water pistols

Guns were taboo to me up until about a year ago when I started to search for a new hobby. I did the motorcycling (stupid drivers ended that pretty quick), and I still want to fill my garage with old tinkers - I'm just not there yet. Then it dawned on me! My mother is thousands of miles away...I can start shooting!

My dad, though not a gunner, watched pretty much every western movie that was ever made...often with me by his side. There was always that itch that needed to be scratched and the time had come!

Fast-forward a few months and I signed up for the PAL course and got my PAL, all in about 2 months! With PAL in hand and a few bucks burning a hole in my pocket, I started to search for that first rifle. My wife is still super hesitant about this whole thing (her reason is valid so I won't push) so I needed to be wise and not go too crazy on the first purchase.

Two weeks of endless searching online, visiting gun stores, searching online (again), and going back to the gun stores (again) lead to me purchasing......

NEXT POST...

4. The Following User Liked This Post By Muzikal

Rory McCanuck (07-15-2021)

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Im going to share 2 pearls of wisdom with you that will have your wife looking forward to seeing new guns come into the house for the piddly sum of $200 per year. You need to do these in order.

First is achieving "critical mass". Critical mass seems to be around 10 gun for most people. Thats the number of guns you need to have that makes it impossible for your wife to know that a new gun has popped up in the collection.

The second part of the plan is the "$200 per year investment guns and the payoff" plan. When you just cant sneak a new gun into the house, bring it in right in front of her. When she protests, tell her you only bought it because you got it cheap and you're putting it up for sale for more. The payoff is when, about every 6 months, you walk up to her and plant a hundred dollar bill in her hand. When she asks what its for, you ask her if she remembers that gun you bought. Well honey, I sold it for $200 more than I paid for it, and the $100 bill in your hand is your half. Of course, you didnt sell anything, but theres enough guns in your critical mass that she cant tell.

My wife really likes it when I bring new guns home or when they arrive in the mail. It took me a few years of being brow beaten in order to achieve critical mass, but once I got there, its been smooth sailing ever since. You're welcome.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    October 21 2022 - Liberals ban all handgun sales and transfers in Canada via order in council - NEVER FORGET !!!

6. The Following 13 Users Like This Post By blacksmithden

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

awndray (08-27-2021), Big-Boss-Man (07-15-2021), ESnel (07-15-2021), Grimlock (07-19-2021), luckychingi (08-27-2021), Magmalis (07-18-2021), Muzikal (07-16-2021), Relic49 (09-12-2022), Rory McCanuck (07-15-2021), stevebc (07-15-2021), stewbud (07-15-2021), Swingerguy (07-15-2021), Uncle Leo (07-16-2021)

^^^ genius ^^^

8. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Swingerguy

Lee Enfield (07-15-2021), Muzikal (07-16-2021), Rory McCanuck (07-15-2021)

Muzical, I don't know where in BC you are, but I'm not far from Kamloops. If you're close by and want to get together, drop me a line.

Unfortunately, my local range is closed until we get wetter and cooler, but this heat can't last forever.

ps- I was one of those people who grew up with guns. There was never a time that there weren't guns in the house. Some of them were very interesting indeed.
    "Everything Government touches turns to shit."

Quote Originally Posted by Muzikal View Post
    My wife is still super hesitant about this whole thing (her reason is valid so I won't push) so I needed to be wise and not go too crazy on the first purchase.
    I will suggest getting your wife into a pal course. not only is it legally recommendable but it may help her hesitancy.

11. The Following User Liked This Post By Big-Boss-Man

IJ22 (07-16-2021)

^^^
    It's bizarre that I can estimate the date of the video, by the length of his hair.

Hmm. I guessed August 2020, but it's October 2020.

13. The Following User Liked This Post By RangeBob

Big-Boss-Man (07-15-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    Im going to share 2 pearls of wisdom with you that will have your wife looking forward to seeing new guns come into the house for the piddly sum of $200 per year. You need to do these in order.

First is achieving "critical mass". Critical mass seems to be around 10 gun for most people. Thats the number of guns you need to have that makes it impossible for your wife to know that a new gun has popped up in the collection.

The second part of the plan is the "$200 per year investment guns and the payoff" plan. When you just cant sneak a new gun into the house, bring it in right in front of her. When she protests, tell her you only bought it because you got it cheap and you're putting it up for sale for more. The payoff is when, about every 6 months, you walk up to her and plant a hundred dollar bill in her hand. When she asks what its for, you ask her if she remembers that gun you bought. Well honey, I sold it for $200 more than I paid for it, and the $100 bill in your hand is your half. Of course, you didnt sell anything, but theres enough guns in your critical mass that she cant tell.

My wife really likes it when I bring new guns home or when they arrive in the mail. It took me a few years of being brow beaten in order to achieve critical mass, but once I got there, its been smooth sailing ever since. You're welcome.
    DUDE!!!

You rock!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stevebc View Post
    Muzical, I don't know where in BC you are, but I'm not far from Kamloops. If you're close by and want to get together, drop me a line.

Unfortunately, my local range is closed until we get wetter and cooler, but this heat can't last forever.

ps- I was one of those people who grew up with guns. There was never a time that there weren't guns in the house. Some of them were very interesting indeed.
    I am about 5 hrs north of you. Thankfully our range is still open (I was out there for the first time yesterday - that write up is coming)!

But yes, If I ever plan a trip that side I will be sure to hit you up and put a face to the name. :-)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast