Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    Doing away with the college of extortion is a good thing. Ontario is the only province in Canada that continues to extort money from licensed trades people for absolutely no services. I moved to Alberta in 2006, and up until 2 years ago, the scumbags had extorted $137 a year out of me to keep my licenses that were issued there valid. Every other province issues lifetime licenses. They had built up a $20 million dollar slush fund with their morally bankrupt tax on knowledge. Ford put the reigns on them and got our fees lowered to $60 per year, but its still a complete scam.
    Look what it costs to be a Professional Geologist.

It's a straight money grab.

https://www.egbc.ca/Registration/Ind...gistrants/Fees

I'm a Red Seal journeyman welder in Alberta. Only time I've ever had to produce the ticket was when starting a new job and I've never had to pay any renewal fees. I'm also an Emergency Medical Responder. The Alberta College of Paramedics extorts me for about $650 every year to maintain my practice licence.
    I'd rather make a difference than a dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by geologist View Post

Same as a Tree Faller. $4k for the course, $40k for the licence. Licencing and registration is a protection racket, moving a free market to an oligopoly.
    "My principles are only those that, before the French revolution, every well-born person considered sane and normal".

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)

Thats robbery!!!
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    My red seal heavy duty off road license came from Alberta. Pay to do the exam...pass....lifetime license.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Journeyman Lineman ( Utility ) Red Seal - Manitoba - No Charge.
    Nothing will F--k you up as much as the realization that there's no real reason the alphabet needs to be in order !!

There is no such thing as left over bacon !!

7. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By barkerlakebob

blacksmithden (07-22-2021), firemachine69 (07-22-2021)

All of these colleges and associations do it as part of a money grab to help fund their lobbying efforts. Professional engineers, medical doctors, lawyers, you name it. The orgs are all in bed with government bodies and unions.

9. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By awndray

Swampdonkey (07-23-2021), Waterloomike (07-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    Doing away with the college of extortion is a good thing. Ontario is the only province in Canada that continues to extort money from licensed trades people for absolutely no services. I moved to Alberta in 2006, and up until 2 years ago, the scumbags had extorted $137 a year out of me to keep my licenses that were issued there valid. Every other province issues lifetime licenses. They had built up a $20 million dollar slush fund with their morally bankrupt tax on knowledge. Ford put the reigns on them and got our fees lowered to $60 per year, but its still a complete scam.
    I agree. Source of exorbitant income for fat-cat administrators. The College has done nothing to increase the numbers of skilled tradesmen; we are currently short three millwrights (never were red seal, but had to pay dues) and one industrial electrician... and we have three apprentices...

Quote Originally Posted by awndray View Post
    All of these colleges and associations do it as part of a money grab to help fund their lobbying efforts. Professional engineers, medical doctors, lawyers, you name it. The orgs are all in bed with government bodies and unions.
    IMO they need to lobby governments and unions less, and do more to support the colleges and universities to train future trades-people. The shortage here in Ontario is profound.

Tell me about it ...

And if you want to do interprovincial work, the number of licenses can get out of hand quickly. I'm currently registered with APEGA but have also started the process to register in BC again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast