Computer modders here?

Iíve got a laptop and older IPad I got on Kijiji trades a while back and just put in a corner until now.

Iím looking at using an opensource mapping program and it will run on a laptop. Free version involves Git and VMs. Pay version is available for Windows (7-9+ I think) and maybe Mac. Rather try before buy, but the price isnít bad. But no laptop I want to dedicate to it right now.

Anyone in here want to try wiping these? Likely beef up the RAM, throw some software on, maybe swap the HDD. IPad likely just a wipe and full reset. I hear that Apple can get confused if you donít wipe it right and sends messages from the grave to original registration, even if itís multiple owners ago.

TIA,
    SV

Not sure what you're asking. You want to mail these to someone who will then wipe them for you, maybe upgrade them (at your expense) and then mail them back to you?

3. The Following User Liked This Post By Doug_M

SIR VEYOR (08-05-2021)

Get a new ssd (hard drive) more ram and install linux mint. Hardware isn't free but the software is, under a hundred bucks to update your laptop. Best thing to do in most cases.
    And as always, have a nice day!

5. The Following User Liked This Post By Kegcaissy

SIR VEYOR (08-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_M View Post
    Not sure what you're asking. You want to mail these to someone who will then wipe them for you, maybe upgrade them (at your expense) and then mail them back to you?
    Absolutely. Not asking for anything free. Barter/$$ whatever. Probably stay windows based of some version, even though I like the very little Linux I played with long ago.

The last paragraph is the nuts and bolts, the prior is background. Kinda show where I’m trying to get the end product. Just the fact that this program can run on a laptop is pretty impressive. It’s normally a pretty serious desktop/server setup.

What open sourced mapping program are you talking about?

I'm sure we can walk you through upgrading the HD and ram on that sucker. Just need the brand and model. Look on the bottom. They usual have a very specific model number where as the front may have the "generic" model name.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckufarlie View Post
    What open sourced mapping program are you talking about?
    https://opendronemap.org/

It’s been evolving quite a bit lately it looks like. Still has hooks and issues though. Not ready for the button pushers to get consistent results at the levels I’m after. So worker drones (punny!) shouldn’t play here yet. But if you can understand some of the theory, shouldn’t be too bad. And software costs and/or processing power is typically higher end desktops, minimum. With top end video cards.

If you run without the Geo tags, guys have been doing 3D scans as well with just cell phone pics. I’m just starting researching it, but it looks very promising. Still a lot of reading and piecing together where/how some of the steps are going and how to get useable results, not just pretty. I’ve done the big photogrammetry and Lidar jobs of old. Peripherally on the drone/terrestrial camera mapping stuff last while because I was contractor, not employee who was better in a niche than that section. But I did get some of the companies to at least start down the road of But this looks like I can practice/develop on my own. If I can get to “reliable” DEMs, DTMs, point clouds, shapefiles, volumes, etc; especially with decent turnaround time….

Minimum System Requirements
    For Windows

Windows 7 or newer (Windows 8 and Windows 10 are supported)
    64bit CPU with MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3 and SSSE3 instruction set support or higher (was your CPU manufactured in the last 10 years?)
    20 GB free disk space
    4 GB RAM *

Recommended System Requirements
    Same as minimum requirements, but add more space and memory:

100 GB free disk space
    16 GB RAM
    Last edited by SIR VEYOR; 08-05-2021 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_M View Post
    I'm sure we can walk you through upgrading the HD and ram on that sucker. Just need the brand and model. Look on the bottom. They usual have a very specific model number where as the front may have the "generic" model name.
    It’s easy when you know how, done it a few times. Just one of those things where fat fingers, frustration triggers, personal available time, etc all combine for me to say screw it and take it to the range for target practice. This kinda thing is in the know when to say when group for me.

I’m still using a bought used Toughbook running Windows XP because it’s bulletproof. My work environments can destroy most laptops in 2 years, but It’s lived. The company supplied ones are a mixed bad for lifetimes.

Well, the live usb option should be the easiest to try: https://opendronemap.org/liveodm/

Use rufus (https://rufus.ie/en/) or something similar to load that on a usb and boot from it to try it out. Looks like it is based on a grub launcher, likely arch based considering the icons.

Where are you located? That might help... I am in the GTA if you want help testing this out on your laptop. It would be easy to get on an older windows laptop, probably a lot harder to get on an ipad.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckufarlie View Post
    Well, the live usb option should be the easiest to try: https://opendronemap.org/liveodm/

Use rufus (https://rufus.ie/en/) or something similar to load that on a usb and boot from it to try it out. Looks like it is based on a grub launcher, likely arch based considering the icons.

Where are you located? That might help... I am in the GTA if you want help testing this out on your laptop. It would be easy to get on an older windows laptop, probably a lot harder to get on an ipad.
    Well, I’ve got a possible laptop for this. And have an iPad that I’d like to wipe if I’m going to do anything with the laptop. They both came from the same trade and I just didn’t trade them or have a use for them until now. But IPad can fly the drone, and laptop might be able to process. But need both reliably wiped.

Or trade both for a laptop that can do the job.

Playing in computer guts is entertaining for some, but not for me.

I’m bouncing between NS and Thunder Bay now, so a GTA airport handoff could work. But the mail should work fine too.