Question ? A22 Trigger Mods ? ?

I just wanted to ask if anyone has found 'good' DIY mods for the 5# A22 trigger? I've found the 'Cut the Spring' mod and vague references to replacing the T-spring with a weaker one, and a couple others. But nothing else in the last couple years and nothing (except for 2 pics) with pics or vids. And if I wanted to spend another $3-400 on a jard or timney I'd just buy a CZ or something. I just bought an A22 after getting a 1/2" B22 and wasn't expecting a Tupperware trigger assy. that couldn't keep under 1". I got frustrated after about 75 rounds and switched to another gun for the afternoon.
    Anyway, I'll be tearing the assy apart and polishing, but I can't find anything for other suggestions. I'll be contacting Savage about getting a Varmint spring, which is the only 'good' idea I've found. Maybe they'll send me one out of pity.
    PS - I'm posting this on other forums too. I've spent lots of time searching inet for answers.

no real complaints with my A22, ragged hole at 25 meters, only shot it at indoor range so far though

Hi Stew, Thanks for the reply. Mine is the 'Standard' barrel and I have a Limbsaver rubber 'harmonic reducer' to put on after I get a better feel for the gun's potential. At 25yds I got it zeroed - within 1/2" using Fed Champion 40g, but at 50 I only got a couple groups under 1". Most were 1.5-2" or worse. Last nite I took the trigger assy out and switched springs a bit. I'd read on some forum that you could take the 'Safety spring' and put that in place of the Trigger spring with a bit of stretching, then put part (3/4) of a 'clik-pen' spring on the Safety. I did that and dry fires are down around 2-2.5# with a crisp break. I plan to go out Monday to test fire, cause with 'no-spring' on the safety it wouldn't reset consistently. Only 1-2 shots then I had to manually rack the bolt to reset the trigger. I'll post my results later in the week.
    PS - I just wanted to add : I have NOT fired the gun yet with these mods, so I cannot guarantee they work properly. I DON'T KNOW for sure . . . so be advised.
    Last edited by Fasteddie01; 08-07-2021 at 12:43 PM.

how low were you able to get it with the AccuTrigger adjustment ?

Hi Stew - Just back on-line here. I went out Mon and shot well, some sub-1" groups, but the trigger wouldn't re-set on it's own. I had to cycle manually to get reset and that also ejected live rounds to get there. Not the best solution, so today I re-installed ALL back to original. Cleaned everything and lubed the hammer/sear with synth-grease (C-T), light oil on the bolt and sprayed the recoil spring with silicone. I cranked the "adjuster" with some pliers, then I tested the trigger with a luggage scale and it's about 3# or a hair under. I'll see if it feels better and cycles fully in a couple days when I go out again. One possible mods is what I've done with the B22. I used a Dremel to 'deepen' the socket for the Trigger spring, then heated it with a lighter and allowed it to cool slowly. That's supposed to 'relax' some of the tension on the spring. It seemed to help as now my B22 is down around 2# or less, but it's a totally different action design. Maybe I'll 'deepen' this one if I want it lower. I'm going to contact Savage in ON to see if they'll send me a 'Varmint' spring, I've read that it will bring the pull below 2# but that was on USA forums where they buy the spring from a vendor, not Savage. I don't want to 'cook' the spring w/o a back-up part of some sort.
    I'll post results next week, prob around Tues-Wed. I'm waiting for the wind to stay below 15-20k since I shoot outdoors at 50 & 100. I can get the B22 around 1-1/2" at 100yds, Hope I can get the A down there too.

6. The Following User Liked This Post By Fasteddie01

Stew (08-11-2021)

a piece of coathanger with a slot on the end makes a perfect adj tool for the accutrigger

Yep, I should make a couple for spares. I have the one that came with the gun, I just meant that I used pliers to crank down on the tool, maybe got 1/8 of a turn more ^O^

9. The Following User Liked This Post By Fasteddie01

Stew (08-12-2021)

Hi Stew et al - I've been trying some things to lighten the trigger, with varied luck. I've finally found a solution on Rimfire central and so it works OK - not great but functional. Here's 'most of' what I posted on RFC -
    " I got frustrated with searching for another 'fix' and did the mods that Nebbiolo had posted <some time ago - ( http s://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1148021 Post #10 )>. The hardest part was finding a bolt small enough to fit into the "reset bar" hole, along with a couple nuts to lock it in place. I have lots of 'odds 'n ends' of that sort and finally found what I needed. It was like a #4-28 x 3/4", I think, my stuff isn't all categorized and id'd. The locking nut that fit on the end measured 0.10" thick and when tightened onto the bolt with the 'upper' was slightly above the recvr frame ( ca. 0.01-0.02" ) so there was a bit of 'free-play' for the reset. I've tested the trigger-pull and it's about 1.5-2#, like Nebbiolo's so that's promising. It works fine with dry-fire (as have the other 'solutions') but still needs to be fired. That comes in a few days, barring remnants of Ida coming here. My pics are similar to his, except I didn't have room for a 'lower' washer. BTW, I also have detailed the steps on reducing the tension on the mags, to facilitate loading. Pretty simple but always helps to have instructions. I'll post that in another thread, with several pics.

Pic of A22 Re-set Bolt A.jpg
    Update 9-01 Range testing -
    Just a note to say I got the trigger down to about 3#s, it took a bit of adjusting both the 'nut&bolt' mod and the t-spring adjuster to get the re-set working consistently. I had to take the action apart 3-4 times to get it right (at the Range - that was interesting for the crowd ), still may need more adjusting next time I go out. It got real windy and I was getting tired of f-ng with it but at least I was able to run a couple full mags thru w/o probs. Still planning to replace with Varmint spring when I get a chance, OR I may heat the T-spring to soften it next?

Update - Range on 9-05
    Well, I was able to go out on the 5th, winds and rain died down just cloudy and 12*C. I put on a 'better' scope - Marcool 6-18x50 so had to re-zero. I shot about 75 rounds @ 50yds and was pleasantly Dis-appointed. Pleasant in that the Fed-Champion 40gSV cycled just fine (with a little more f-ing around) and I got some groups around 1" - one at ca. 0.5 with a flier that made it 1.064" ! DIS because there were some "Groups" ca 2-3" - Very inconsistent groups. That 1.064" one, then 2.230" next group. As I said, I got the trigger around 3# by 'fine tuning' the mod but now have to find a better ammo to use. Maybe SV is not the best for this gun?? Lucky I bought a lot of diff brands last Spring b4 the 'shortage' hit.
    I also took out my Savage-64 and got more consistent and 'better' groups with it, using a cheap Reflex-Red dot. One for 0.809", the rest ca. 1-1.5". I found that Herters .22 LR-HP won't load in the 64 from the mag to the chamber, maybe HP is N/G for that gun? More testing . . . I'll post results if any are good
    Last point - If anyone comes up with a more reliable method to lower the trigger weight without replacing the T-spring with the varmint spring (the GunShack won't ship to Canada), please msg me and I'll be a 'co-tester' for you.
    Thanks for watching
    Ed

11. The Following User Liked This Post By Fasteddie01

Stew (09-10-2021)