Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    Mine is just glossy cardboard.
    Well damn. It looked like it was plastic. Mine was brown.

Ive got a little bit behind my intended goal this week. There was one section that I just couldnt get through because I kept falling asleep. It took me 4 days of starting and restaring a 1.5 hr video. The section was 'forces acting on an airplane'. The guy doing the presentation goes WAY too indepth on a lot of the points and you mentally shut him off after hes explained the point 3 different ways. My mental reaction, aside from saying 'just shut the f... up and move on you f...tard' was to fall asleep. Lol. As with any course of this type, theyre covering stuff you're never going to use. Im not engineering and building aitcraft from scratch buddy, so you really dont need to go THAT in depth into certain things. I think he just likes showing off how much he knows sometimes. Anyway....I'll get it done. Im projecting about 15 weeks to finish the ground school part. We'll see how close I am.
    Yep. I'm well aware at how dry some of that stuff is. You think it's bad now, try being a teenager who is wondering about how he's going to do in the next football game when the scouts are out, and if he's going to land a date with the captain of the girls' volleyball team.

Interesting factoid. The number of current private pilots in Canada has been steadily declining for decades. As of 2020, there were only 16,500ish left and there were right around 25000 privately owned aircraft. Hopefully after the covid psychosis is over and everyone has made peace with the idea that its with us forever so move on, some of the people who bought, started, and will never finish a kit aircraft in their garage will part with them cheap.
    One can dream, eh?

Anything in that price range is WAY beyond my reach at this point in my life for sure. That said, you can get the price of a used Cessna 172 well into the $150,000 range if you really look after it and do it right up with up with really current avionics and add ons. Even the kit plane Im interested in can get over 100,000 if its done right up. Im really torn on the idea of owning a plane. With maintenance costs, tie down/hangar fees, insurance, and all the other bits, you're not saving much. If you're just tying it down instead of keeping it in a much more expensive hangar, theres always the risk of storm/hail damage here in Alberta. That said, club aircraft that are up for rent, you can only take for a few hours most of the time before you have to be back. Going on a weeks vacation somewhere isnt an option.
    You missed the steal of a lifetime then. A Youtuber I'm subscribed to just picked up an old 172B for $20K CAD. Granted, it's older than dirt, still has steam gauges and has the ugliest interior I've seen in recent years, but it was airworthy after a new generator and spinner.

My plan for now is just to rent. I might bud a Kitfox or a Highlander someday. Those you can fold the wings back on in about 15 minutes, stuff them in a covered trailer, and park them in your driveway. A little more hassle, but its protected, and you're not paying hundreds if dollars per month in hangar fees. Theyre also STOL (short take off and landing) planes, so you can take the out to your buddy's field (if the grass is cut) and take off from there. That said, a lot of insurance companies wont even talk to you if you tell them you're doing off field takeoffs and landings (anything that isnt officially and aerodrome or a certified airport is considered off field.)

Who knows. I might get the license and lose interest. Time will tell. If in 5 years the prices of light aircraft plummet like I think theyre going to, I might see if I can pick up a half built kit cheap from someone who's lost motivation. Im in no rush one way or the other. License first, dreams later.
    So you'll be doing your taildragger endorsement, too? I've been torn between a Bushcat AULA or a Zenair CH750. Both of them are nose wheel, but I like the cockpit layout of the Bushcat, and the Zenair is All-Canadian, and has plenty of FWF options from Viking Engines if you want to go full-blown experimental, which I want to.
    Yes, you can fix stupid, but the stupid folks have passed laws against it. - FallisCowboy

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Well...2 weeks in, and I'm back on schedule. I just finished the second section- Theory of Flight. Only 11 to go. LOL.

CategoryTheory of Flight
    QuizPrinciples of Flight Quiz (6) 100 %
    QuizForces Acting on an Aircraft Quiz (15) 100 %
    QuizAerofoils Quiz (7) 100 %
    QuizPropellers Quiz (7) 100 %
    QuizDesign of the Wing Quiz (13) 100 %
    QuizLoad Factor Quiz (11) 100 %
    QuizStability Quiz (7) 100 %
    QuizFlight Controls Quiz (7) 100 %
    QuizRelationship of Speed to Angle of Attack Quiz (11) 100 %
    Simple weighted mean of gradesTheory of Flight total
    Simple weighted mean of grades.
    100 %
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

3. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By blacksmithden

Gaidheal (09-15-2021), Grizz Axxemann (09-16-2021)

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    I finished a bunch more sections. The ones on data charts and weight/balance are going to have to wait until I've had a good night's sleep.

Grades.jpg

I also ordered a CX3 flight computer/calculator. They seem to be the go-to after you throw away the E6B stone axe.

cx3.jpg

Running cost total so far:

Running cost tally:
    Medical - $145
    Online ground school course - $275 + student kit - $145 + GST - $21.00 = $441.00
    CX3 Flight computer - $154.95 + $7.75 gst = $162.70

Total so far: $748.70
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

5. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By blacksmithden

Gaidheal (09-20-2021), Grizz Axxemann (09-23-2021), kennymo (09-19-2021)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234