Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shotgun slug reloading thread?

Move to reloading forum section now.
    I'm over crimping and I want to know how to do it right. None of my books deal with slugs.
    Last edited by tigrr; 09-05-2021 at 07:45 AM.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    There is no place in an anti's head where reason can enter. from a Napoleon saying with a tweak.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because thatís the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Mec 600 Junior just out of the box.
    I'm going to look for those slug cases and see if there is a difference. Hope I saved them.
    Last edited by tigrr; 09-05-2021 at 07:46 AM.
    There is no place in an anti's head where reason can enter. from a Napoleon saying with a tweak.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because thatís the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

3. The Following User Liked This Post By tigrr

Scoutertracker (09-04-2021)

Update mine needs an adapter that does roll crimp. I will just seat them far enough to hold the slug in. They look like ordinary shot shells with this crimp. Shoot very well too. Just 8 inches low and 5 inches to the left.

new press

some loaded with crimp too deep.

Still need fine tuning. Need to cast more slugs. The good looking two have been adjusted for less crimp.

5. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By tigrr

Aniest (09-04-2021), ESnel (09-04-2021), kennymo (09-05-2021), R&R Rancher (09-04-2021)

The results of having fun. @ 100 feet

Last edited by tigrr; 09-05-2021 at 07:47 AM.

7. The Following User Liked This Post By tigrr

Aniest (09-04-2021)

I need to cast more slugs and try Unique as the powder. 700X is too fast, hard on gun.
    1 and 3 are the second attempt.
    700X is so fast it won't cycle the gun properly.
    Last edited by tigrr; 09-05-2021 at 07:47 AM.

89 more slugs cast in 40 minutes after the pot warmed up.
    Last edited by tigrr; 09-05-2021 at 07:48 AM.

Shotgun slug reloading

I'm over crimping and I want to know how to do it right. None of my books deal with slugs.
    Mec 600 Junior just out of the box.
    I'm going to look for those slug cases and see if there is a difference. Hope I saved them.
    Update mine needs an adapter that does roll crimp. I will just seat them far enough to hold the slug in. They look like ordinary shot shells with this crimp. Shoot very well too. Just 8 inches low and 5 inches to the left.

new press

some loaded with crimp too deep.

Still need fine tuning. Need to cast more slugs. The good looking two have been adjusted for less crimp.
    Last edited by tigrr; 09-05-2021 at 08:00 AM.

11. The Following User Liked This Post By tigrr

2012Cvoguy (09-05-2021)

The results of having fun. @ 100 feet

I need to cast more slugs and try Unique as the powder. 700X is too fast, hard on gun.
    1 and 3 are the second attempt.
    700X is so fast it won't cycle the gun properly.
    89 more slugs cast in 40 minutes after the pot warmed up last night.
    Last edited by tigrr; 09-05-2021 at 08:01 AM.

13. The Following User Liked This Post By tigrr

2012Cvoguy (09-05-2021)

Probably only get 2 reloadings with the Imperial High Brass. The plastic neck is fragile. The pedals are cracking. The hulls are probably 50 years old. I have lots of hulls. New Win AA's too.
    Gun is a 1975 Browning Auto 5 with an adjustable choke.
    Last edited by tigrr; 09-05-2021 at 08:06 AM.

Slug reloading is something I’ve never done. How heavy are your slugs? I suspect you are right that 700X is too fast. That powder shines in 1-1/8 target loads under 1200 FPS. Unique would be a better fit

I think my old Lyman’s book may have some loads but not sure if they would have specific loads for home cast slugs. One good online resource you could check is the reloading sub forum at shotgunworld.com.

I seem to recall reading online that BPI sells a roll crimped that fits in a drill press. Or maybe it was GAEP that made it. Crimping becomes a separate off press operation and you’ll need to trim the bulls back. I seem to recall reading heat from friction helps make the crimp more pliable resulting in a better crimp

Sorry I don’t have much more to add
    In spite of all of man's grandiose achievements, he owes his continued existence to six inches of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast