Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The persuit of the ultimate 45/70 load.

It starts with a 500 grain bullet in 2 different shapes with 40 grains of IMR 4064 under them. Why IMR 4064? Because I have 22 pounds of it.(and I'm recoil shy now!!) IMR 3031 can kiss my lower cheek.
    Then we load up some 411 grain bullets with the same 40 grains of IMR 4064.
    I might go up to 45 grains under the 350 grain bullet. I have 8 different 45/70 bullet shapes and 1 ball mold.
    I have some with liquid alox and some powder coated. The testing began yesterday. The best so far was a few left over 1.5fg swiss black powder under a 400 gr bullet. They almost touched at 100 yards.
    I have a bunch of pics and will get around to posting them when I'm not reloading.
    Hunting starts friday here. Bear, deer, moose and upland opens friday. The 300wm is ready to go. But the 45/70 is a close second.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    There is no place in an anti's head where reason can enter. from a Napoleon saying with a tweak.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because thatís the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

2. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By tigrr

Aniest (09-09-2021), kennymo (09-08-2021), Rory McCanuck (09-09-2021), SIR VEYOR (09-09-2021)

I don't think there's many animals a 500gr bullet is going to bounce off of.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

4. The Following User Liked This Post By Rory McCanuck

Stew (09-10-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Rory McCanuck View Post
    I don't think there's many animals a 500gr bullet is going to bounce off of.
    Space bears…..
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

6. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By kennymo

Aniest (09-09-2021), Grimlock (09-10-2021), Rory McCanuck (09-09-2021)

I read a story years ago of a guy shooting a grizzly in the spine above the shoulders with a 500 grain bullet doing something like 1800 fps and the bullet exited out an ass cheek.
    Mine will be like 1200 to 1500 fps. Most aren't recovered through 12 inches of poplar block. I am having excellent results with the powder bullet tests I have done.
    Crappy part today was finding a base at CT for my 1895 Marlin CB lever in 45/70 and a leftover decent scope in the spare parts. Then find out all I have is 30mm rings left for a 1" scope. Putting a $2400 NightForce on the gun just seems impractical.
    Now I wait till the next trip to town.
    Hunting starts tomorrow. Bear or deer and I'm done. Probably with the 300 wm.
    There is no place in an anti's head where reason can enter. from a Napoleon saying with a tweak.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because thatís the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

8. The Following User Liked This Post By tigrr

Rory McCanuck (09-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    I read a story years ago of a guy shooting a grizzly in the spine above the shoulders with a 500 grain bullet doing something like 1800 fps and the bullet exited out an ass cheek.
    Mine will be like 1200 to 1500 fps. Most aren't recovered through 12 inches of poplar block. I am having excellent results with the powder bullet tests I have done.
    That bullet, moving at those speeds, will have penetration measured in yards, not inches.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

Quote Originally Posted by Rory McCanuck View Post
    That bullet, moving at those speeds, will have penetration measured in yards, not inches.
    Ya a guy shot a water buffalo in the ass and the bullet travelled the length of the buffalo and stopped under the skin in the front shoulder. It is in the Hornady or Nosler reloading book. A 36" rotten spruce is no match for a 1200 fps 500 grain bullet. I couldn't even find it in the bank behind the tree it sunk so far.

11. The Following User Liked This Post By tigrr

Rory McCanuck (09-10-2021)