Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Trudeau is waiting for permission from Native leadership.
    I have no signature block.

I believe the half mast flag is to recognize the disgrace we refer to as the Prime Moron. It probably should have been lowered in 2015.
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

3. The Following User Liked This Post By Camo tung

M1917 Enfield (09-14-2021)

National Flag of Canada half-masting notices:

https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-he...g-notices.html

Rules for half-masting the National Flag of Canada:

https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-he...ing-rules.html

That said...

Flags will remain at half-mast until agreement is reached with Indigenous leaders: Trudeau

Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau said he plans to keep Canadian flags on federal buildings at half-mast in honour of the residential school students who never came home until Indigenous communities and their leaders decide it's appropriate to raise them again.

"I think Canadians have seen with horror those unmarked graves across the country and realize that what happened decades ago isn't part of our history. It is an irrefutable part of our present," Trudeau said.

The flags on all federal buildings were lowered on May 30 following the discovery of hundreds of unmarked graves at the site of the former Kamloops Indian Residential School in British Columbia.

The decision to return the flags to full mast would be made by the prime minister on the advice of the Department of Canadian Heritage and recommendations from the Clerk of the Privy Council, said Canadian Heritage spokesperson Daniel Savoie.

Trudeau said that while Indigenous communities have known for a long time that their children were taken away and never returned, other Canadians have now "woken up" to that fact.

"So when we decided to bring down ... those flags to half-mast, we made the commitment that we would not raise them again until we have worked enough with Indigenous communities and leadership to make a clear determination that it was time to raise them again and continue the hard work of reconciliation," he said.

"Unlike [Conservative Leader Erin] O'Toole, who will do it whenever he feels like it, I will continue to put reconciliation with Indigenous peoples in the hands of Indigenous peoples."

Trudeau's decision is in line with what the national leaders of the Inuit, Métis and First Nations have requested.

"We are still in the midst of a discovery that should shock the nation and that should be a source of national grieving," said Natan Obed, president of the Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami.

"I hope that every Canadian can internalize this shocking truth that some children who went to school never came home and were buried in front of the schools without any notification of their parents, their loved ones, the next of kin. That happened and it happened in a systemic way across this country for well over 100 years."

'A politicized debate over the bodies of ... children'

Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole said he sees raising the flags again as a symbol of Canada's recommitment to reconciliation.

"I have said that this Sept 30th, the national day of commemorating Truth and Reconciliation, we will do that as a country," O'Toole said. "I'm very proud of our country, despite the scars from our past."

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh said he wants to see the gesture backed by action.

"There is a symbolic power in lowering the flags," Singh said. "What I really want to see is that every single one of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission's calls to action are implemented."

The question of when the flags should be raised again emerged during last night's English-language leaders debate.

Obed said the fact that the issue has become a political football is "quite disturbing."

Marie Wilson, one of three commissioners of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC), said all acts of reconciliation need to be seen as non-partisan.

"That is actually a form of irreverence to have a politicized debate over the bodies of these children and the markers that we have to remember them," Wilson said.

Wilson welcomed the federal government's decision to lower the flags as a way of raising awareness among non-Indigenous Canadians about residential schools.

The risk, she said, is that people might stop noticing that the flags have been lowered.

"If you stop noticing, that loses its value," Wilson said.

Keeping the flags at half-staff also might make it difficult for the federal government to honour other significant individuals or events, Wilson said.

"How will we mark them if the flags are already lowered?" she said. "Will that be less of a moment or will that be just seen as a continuum?"

Build the monument, says former TRC commissioner

Lowering flags was not among the TRC's calls to action. The TRC's commissioners made other recommendations on commemoration that have not yet been fulfilled.

In their calls to action 81 and 82, the commissioners called on the federal government to establish a national monument in Ottawa and urged provincial governments to do the same in their capital cities.

"That would be something that would be a living reminder and somewhere where people would be able to gather," Wilson said.

On Aug. 10, the federal government announced $20 million to build a national monument in Ottawa to honour residential school survivors, and all of the children who were taken from their families and communities.

Over the coming months, Canadian Heritage said it will work with survivors and Indigenous partners to refine the vision and objectives for the monument.

Wilson said the flags should remain lowered until at least the first National Day for Truth and Reconciliation, set for Sept. 30.

"A gesture like that only has value if it is the marking of something that we are pledging to remember and not to forget," Wilson said.

"The lowering of a flag is not the only way to do that."
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/can...ools-1.6170504

This is the reason it is at half mast.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/can...hools-1.617050

I agree that the flag should have been lowered for one specific day to honor the lives of these innocent children and that we will remember them on that day in the future. I do not agree that the lowering of the flag be used in a controversial manner such as it was in this case so one group could get what they wanted. The flag is a NATIONAL symbol and as such, should be honored, not bartered.

This is another example of a weak kneed Prime Minister bowing down to a pressure group rather than standing his ground and representing ALL Canadians. This guy has no balls, no morals, no scruples, and hopefully no votes in the very near future.
    Nothing will F--k you up as much as the realization that there's no real reason the alphabet needs to be in order !!

6. The Following User Liked This Post By barkerlakebob

stewbud (09-13-2021)

Just like his dear ole dad................
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nothing will F--k you up as much as the realization that there's no real reason the alphabet needs to be in order !!

8. The Following User Liked This Post By barkerlakebob

An indigenous woman represents the matriarch, the ultimate in anti-colonialism hypocrisy. Then we have our national flag at half mast in honor of children (but not the adults) buried in unmarked graves, "discovered" for political reasons, because they died while in the care of the Church and a government that cares not about indigenous peoples. The same party that was responsible for enacting the racist legislation that brought this on, blames the entirety of a nation but won't accept any of the blame themselves, and continues to uphold the legislation while calling the rest of us racists. Oh, and they call themselves proud Canadians. P.S. we're all in this together. P.P.S. sorry.

10. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By awndray

M1917 Enfield (09-14-2021), Rory McCanuck (09-13-2021)

moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.
    I for one have had enough of hijacking our flag for political agendas. It's bad enough that progressives stole the rainbow the alphabet, now the flag. End it now Marxist toadies.
    GET OFF MY LAWN!

12. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By FALover

awndray (09-12-2021), M1917 Enfield (09-14-2021)

A few people in my area have been flying their flag upside down since the start of the lockdowns.

I personally don't fly the flag anymore. I'm embarrassed by what this country now is.

14. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By awndray

M1917 Enfield (09-14-2021), Rory McCanuck (09-13-2021), stevebc (09-13-2021)

Mine isn't at half mast but will be if sheman is reelected.
    Well done Max! You've given the liberals a mandate to take our firearms!

My flag, the Red Ensign, hasn’t been flown since it was replaced by a meat company logo.
    Gun Control is about making it unlawful for you to use, carry, or possess a firearm.

All restrictions/prohibitions on the use, carriage, or possession of firearms must be repealed.

Middle ground?

What middle ground?

17. The Following User Liked This Post By CLW .45

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12