Thread: CTR or RPR, or?

CTR or RPR, or?

I have a rem700 sps in a magpul stock for my range toy to 600yrds(more often just 300yrds) in 223rem, and I've become really intrigued by the ruger precision rifle but I'm also thinking the Tikka CTR might be the better rifle.
    I think I'm going to the 6.5 creedmoor, but I might go 308 just because of shortages and the fact I'm already reloading 308

The Bergara B-14 HMR is another possibly rifle.

Any thoughts, preferences, experiences?
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

FWIW, I would choose the CTR. The RPR is low end entry level, IMHO. Isn’t the Bergara a proprietary footprint?

My only foray into Scandinavian rifles was a Sako. A wonderful factory rig. The CTR should/would be just as good.

I have the RPR in 6.5 CM. Reload with Lapua Brass (small rifle primers) and OTM Scenar pills also from Lapua. Powder is H4350. Rings the steel gong at 500m - almost boringly accurate.
    University of Texas at Austin 2014 Commencement Address - Admiral William H. McRaven
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxBQLFLei70

Buddy of mine had a RPR. He wasn't in love with it. Sold it and bought a Sig Cross. He says it's bliss.

The RPR looks like a fun range gun, and generally what I hear is 'accurate but low end feel'
    The CTR/HMR are chassis-less rifles, looking more like carrying rifles, but 'accurate and high end feel'(at a near or lower price tag then the rpr)

6. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By lone-wolf

awndray (09-19-2021), Big-Boss-Man (09-19-2021)

If the Turd wins and takes my AR I will be replacing it with a bolt gun that will be mainly used (i.e. 95% of the time) for bench rest bullseye shooting. Interesting to hear about the RPR having a "low end feel". My AR wasn't high end but it was upper mid-range and felt like it. I'd want to replace it with similar.

I was looking online at the Howa 1500 APC. Not a lot of decent hands on reviews about it though. Couldn't find anything in the Canadian forums either. Have you had a look at it lone-wolf?
    Our freedoms ARE the greater good.

I had a regular howa a while ago and find it comparable to the rem700. Going for a howa in a chassis, I could just go with a new chassis for the rem700. Sideways step you know.
    The rpr i got to handle felt good to me, and was really smooth to operate. It was used and probably worn in. But the used price on that one is 2k...

Another idea I have in my mind is to buy a boyds walnut stock for the rem700, that is inletted for the magpul aics bottom metal.
    So I end up with a (hopefully) classy looking wood stocked rem700 with aics dbm