moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.

Blueing Question (s)

I have decided to try my hand at reblueing some assorted firearm parts. I have just received a U.S. quart of Birchwood Casey Perma Blue as the solution to be used. The question to start with, does it make a difference if the parts are room temperature or should they be heated up with some sort of heat gun? Instructions say use as is but having read some on-line suggestions say you get better results from heated up metal. After the blueing, what would be best to use as the finish oil? i.e. something similar the BC's Barricade finish.
    GET OFF MY LAWN!

Did you buy cold blue or hot blue?

Quote Originally Posted by SwissArmyMan View Post
    Did you buy cold blue or hot blue?
    I think Birchwood Casey Perma Blue is a cold bluing solution.
    Warning! some sarcasm, facetious and jovial behavior, satire, irony, dry humor, playful banter and more may or may not be involved in my postings. Please read anything I have written as being said in the most joyful and happy voice you can imagine.

To whom it may concern: I hereby declare I am not responsible for the debts incurred by one Justin Trudeau!

When ever I have had to cold blue small parts or pieces I find I get superior results after completely de-greasing the parts and then dropping them a container and rinsing them in boiling water for about 2-5 minutes and on taking them out applying the cold blue to the still warm/hot parts. I usually do 3 treatments to get the darkest and most uniform finish. After that I clean all remaining cold blue solution off with an old toothbrush then dry off and coat with regular gun oil to stop further rusting.
    Warning! some sarcasm, facetious and jovial behavior, satire, irony, dry humor, playful banter and more may or may not be involved in my postings. Please read anything I have written as being said in the most joyful and happy voice you can imagine.

To whom it may concern: I hereby declare I am not responsible for the debts incurred by one Justin Trudeau!

5. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By M1917 Enfield

FALover (09-22-2021), Stew (09-24-2021)

moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.
    You tube videos are all over the place on the use of the BC Perma Blue (cold blueing) The hot water trick is one that I have read that gives even heating of parts over the use of a heat gun. My better half would de-nut me if she caught me using the oven to warm up the parts. I am going to try various treatments on different parts to see if there is indeed any noticeable difference.
    GET OFF MY LAWN!

7. The Following User Liked This Post By FALover

M1917 Enfield (09-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by FALover View Post
    You tube videos are all over the place on the use of the BC Perma Blue (cold blueing) The hot water trick is one that I have read that gives even heating of parts over the use of a heat gun. My better half would de-nut me if she caught me using the oven to warm up the parts. I am going to try various treatments on different parts to see if there is indeed any noticeable difference.
    I found leaving the parts in a cup of boiling water for minute or so was all I needed to get an even temperature before applying the cold blue.