Vetterli rifles Advice please

I have this pair of Swiss Vetterli rifles that came to me through a family member. Im preparing to sell them and have a couple questions that I hope are appropriate to ask here: 1) Any idea on how/where I can determine a reasonable selling price?, 2) What forum is appropriate for selling these old rifles (perhaps its here)?

I have no experience with vintage firearms so any guidance is appreciated.

Thx

As an aside theyre pretty cool for being 150 years old 10mm rimfire blackpowder cartridge, bolt action, 11-round tube magazine, 1425 ft/s

IMG_7744.jpg
    IMG_7743.jpg
    IMG_7742.jpg

A member here has one: https://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/sho...-1869-Vetterli

A fast Google search find them for sale on sites in the USA at $300-1700USD:

ht tps://www.cowanauctions.com/lot/swiss-vetterli-m-1871-bolt-action-rifle-562217 $300

ht tps://www.ima-usa.com/products/original-swiss-vetterli-m1878-infantry-magazine-rifle-serial-no-162873?variant=26169095877 $600

ht tps://www.gunsamerica.com/938949526/Vetterli-Swiss-1869-1871-Rifle-in-10-4x38-41-rim-fir.htm $750

ht tps://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/rifles/waffenfabrik-bern-rifles/swiss-antique-waffenfabrik-bern-m1878-vetterli-10-4x38mm-bolt-action-rifle-high-12-round-capacity-in-a-quality-military-rifle.cfm?gun_id=101721985 $1000

ht tps://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/rifles/waffenfabrik-bern-rifles/pre-owned-swiss-vetterli-m78-bolt-action-41-33-quot-rifle.cfm?gun_id=101698603 $1700

Canada: https://gunsmithcanada.com/en/shop/f...l-41-swiss-cf/ $1400

Who probably bought it for $175 https://www.icollector.com/VETTERLI-...FIRE_i35686237

I think they are like other Swiss rifles: most 'generic' ones are not excessively valuable or collectable, but there are some that are. Let's say those two were early sequentially serial numbered, they could be worth a lot more to the right collector. Again, the issue becomes the right collector, which goes for anything collectable.
    Last edited by Aniest; 10-03-2021 at 08:26 AM.
    Anything and everything I post that is not a quote, link and/or attributable to another source is my personal opinion only and no entity(s) and/or person(s) can be held liable for it for any reason unless they are the author of said opinion, link, quote and/or attributable comment; and nothing I post may be shared, spread and/or quoted outside of this website without my legal authorization unless covered by the end user agreement, terms of use, policy and/or rules of this website.

Last ones I saw go through P&S they were asking around $700. They’re usually fairly bang on with market value. That’s complete rifles in decent condition.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Don't need to go to American auctions to check value, just check the latest Switzer's or Kidd's

https://www.icollector.com/search.as...=1&hi=0&lo_c=1 (hope the unbroken link is ok - the search is set up)

Based on the above, 700 is optimistic I think. 500-600 for perfect condition. A friend picked up several for less.

Post them here. You'll probably hear from me

They often sell on the CGN EE for between $450 -$600 in complete unaltered condition and much lower for sporterized ones.

Your top one is missing it's rear sight and cleaning rod so deduct about $150 to $200 for those two issues alone.

Bottom model one is missing the ejection port cover, so deduct about $100 from that one too.

Vetterli.jpg
    Last edited by M1917 Enfield; 10-06-2021 at 01:00 PM.
    Warning! some sarcasm, facetious and jovial behavior, satire, irony, dry humor, playful banter and more may or may not be involved in my postings. Please read anything I have written as being said in the most joyful and happy voice you can imagine.

To whom it may concern: I hereby declare I am not responsible for the debts incurred by one Justin Trudeau!

The guys, appreciate the responses!