Thread: Decoys

Decoys

Anyone use decoys? What have you experienced with a doe or buck decoy?
    Mistakes, tips, success stories.

I have used decoys for about 12 years and I still use decoys. I usually use my decoys with one being a Buck and one being a Doe. The last couple of seasons I have been just using the smaller Doe decoy.

I would say from my experience Deer acknowledge the Decoys about 50% of the time, the other 50% of the time they seem to pay the decoys no mind.

When the deer are interested in the Decoys they approach the Decoys with all of their attention focused on the Decoy, in turn giving me time to judge the deer, position my self for a better shot if I decide to take the deer.

Even when the deer seem to pay no attention to the decoy, I feel that the decoy is giving the deer some confidence because there is another deer here and the deer in turn is less spooky because of the decoy.

I have a small piece of white rag pinned to the decoys butt to simulate a tail that I spray with deer scent. I use a real light fabric for the tail so the wind will move it as deer eyes are really geared to see movement.

I also take the decoy down and cover it up with burlap when I leave for the day and set it up when I return to hunt. If you leave it up deer will check it out and quickly realize it is not real, get used to it and never pay it any mind after that.

To sum it up a deer decoy will not be a top secret guarantee to shoot a deer, but I feel a decoy combined with some deer calling will not hurt your chances of tagging a deer.

Good luck.

Thanks for the useful information, I will surely put this into practical, I believe that will make things easy for me !

Quote Originally Posted by Northshore View Post
    I have used decoys for about 12 years and I still use decoys. I usually use my decoys with one being a Buck and one being a Doe. The last couple of seasons I have been just using the smaller Doe decoy.

I would say from my experience Deer acknowledge the Decoys about 50% of the time, the other 50% of the time they seem to pay the decoys no mind.

When the deer are interested in the Decoys they approach the Decoys with all of their attention focused on the Decoy, in turn giving me time to judge the deer, position my self for a better shot if I decide to take the deer.

Even when the deer seem to pay no attention to the decoy, I feel that the decoy is giving the deer some confidence because there is another deer here and the deer in turn is less spooky because of the decoy.

I have a small piece of white rag pinned to the decoys butt to simulate a tail that I spray with deer scent. I use a real light fabric for the tail so the wind will move it as deer eyes are really geared to see movement.

I also take the decoy down and cover it up with burlap when I leave for the day and set it up when I return to hunt. If you leave it up deer will check it out and quickly realize it is not real, get used to it and never pay it any mind after that.

To sum it up a deer decoy will not be a top secret guarantee to shoot a deer, but I feel a decoy combined with some deer calling will not hurt your chances of tagging a deer.

Good luck.
    Really, A decoy is a valuable tool.