Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Right now, there aren't many options for rural internet in the area... basically its Explornet or cellular... Starlink isn't available here quite yet. If you need those kind of internet speeds (>25 mbps), you're not going to be able to live in the country.

Living in town opens up a pile of options, including Axia fiber optic in many of the small communities

I believe there are some larger lots available in Granum (~1 acre) but that's pushing your range from the city.

I find myself in a similar boat as you, and you're really aren't going to find what you are looking for unless you are okay with spending a lot more and accepting poor quality internet, or you have to live in a small town. Personally, I'm looking east to Saskatchewan to find my acreage, as I will get a lot better bang for my buck.

I have family in southern Alberta and rental properties too. Rural areas around Nanton and Claresholm are in that budget for a house and acreage (5-10acres).
    We are in the BC lower mainland. Our plan A is bug out in place - we are already rural, off the beaten path, and fairly well setup on 2 acres with crown land nearby and can function off grid if required.. Plan B is to head for the interior - we have 80 acres with a lake, off grid, off paved roads, and homestead it.

Finding a property that both meets your current needs and your future TEOTWAWKI needs is going to be hard. Small town living is great, but SHTF scenarios will effect that too, so have a backup plan.

3. The Following User Liked This Post By shootemup604

harbl_the_cat (10-13-2021)

I had previously planned to sell my Calgary home to buy a rural home, but maybe the better strategy is to get an inexpensive BOL instead.

It's a non-starter for me, currently, to not have high speed internet.

Work in Calgary until it becomes insufferable, buy a small, cheap little cottage, close to a small town with good infrastructure as well as to farmers I can strike a food security deals with.

Acclimate my wife and family to rural living, maybe spend 2-3 days a week living out there, fixing up the place, digging in, etc. then going back to the city for the weekdays.

If THSTF in a big way, we have a place to escape to.

We've taken to RV'ing over the past 2 years and found we really like it. When we went to Salmon Arm last year, we stayed at an RV park called "Pierre's Point" where some seasonal campers built semi-permanent structures around their Motorhomes / Campers. I'd buy a plot of land big enough to put a 2000 sqft house on and gradually build up over the years.
    Last edited by harbl_the_cat; 10-13-2021 at 11:20 AM.
    Things are never going back to normal... but that's not a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
    Right now, there aren't many options for rural internet in the area... basically its Explornet or cellular... Starlink isn't available here quite yet. If you need those kind of internet speeds (>25 mbps), you're not going to be able to live in the country.

Living in town opens up a pile of options, including Axia fiber optic in many of the small communities

I believe there are some larger lots available in Granum (~1 acre) but that's pushing your range from the city.

I find myself in a similar boat as you, and you're really aren't going to find what you are looking for unless you are okay with spending a lot more and accepting poor quality internet, or you have to live in a small town. Personally, I'm looking east to Saskatchewan to find my acreage, as I will get a lot better bang for my buck.
    I haven't searched out out myself yet but have heard that Starlink is very expensive

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf View Post
    I haven't searched out out myself yet but have heard that Starlink is very expensive
    Starlink was approx. $700.00 for all the equipment (Dish, Modem, Power Transformer, 100 foot Cable.). And about $120.00 a month for unlimited amount of use.

For me the Rockethub I replaced was $180.00 a month so I save $60.00 a month. So in about a year my $60.00 a month savings will pay for the Starlink Equipment purchase.

Cripes, that's spendy!

How's the performance?

Wow! No kidding it's spendy. Would like better/faster service than Telus Hub offers but not at that cost

Quote Originally Posted by awndray View Post
    Cripes, that's spendy!

How's the performance?
    I am not a computer geek so if you want to know the speed in numbers you're asking the wrong guy. But I can tell you it is way faster than the Rockethub that it replaced (Rockethub sends it signal through the cell towers).

I was at a friends house, in the city just this afternoon and he let me check a few things on his computer which has a fiber-optic line and his internet speed was definitely faster than the Starlink.

However my lap top is very old and just about at the end of it's days, I have a brand new computer sitting on the table still in the box waiting for my son to come and visit and set it up for me. I am hoping that the new computer will be much faster than the old gal I am using now.

Quote Originally Posted by Northshore View Post
    I am not a computer geek so if you want to know the speed in numbers you're asking the wrong guy. But I can tell you it is way faster than the Rockethub that it replaced (Rockethub sends it signal through the cell towers).

I was at a friends house, in the city just this afternoon and he let me check a few things on his computer which has a fiber-optic line and his internet speed was definitely faster than the Starlink.

However my lap top is very old and just about at the end of it's days, I have a brand new computer sitting on the table still in the box waiting for my son to come and visit and set it up for me. I am hoping that the new computer will be much faster than the old gal I am using now.
    Go to speedtest.net

https://www.speedtest.net/

Press the big GO button, report your results.

Mine (paying $90/month, Rogers):

speedtest.jpg

You don't need to post a screenshot, just the DOWNLOAD and UPLOAD values.
    http://www.youtube.com/battlebeaver
    ** Member CSSA, NSSF and NRA ** Why aren't you?

1.67 download.
    Is that bad?
    It sounds bad...
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast