Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tavor talk

Tavor talk

In response to Petamocto's challenge, here's my new thread:

I just bought a Tavor 7 in FDE (used) and it is in the mail. Also ordered a case of cheap surplus .308 to play with. Plan on running a Leupold AR 1-4X for short/medium range use. It may also replace my now banned M14 as a game getter down the road. If I like it may get a x95 for my wife too (5.56mm or 9mm?)

What are folk's experiences and opinions on the platform?

I've only shot the 5.56 one. If you put a tank brake on it you will go cross-eyed. I would imagine the big one is worse. The expensive triggers out there (Timney?) are quite nice...for a bullpup.

It thumps, but kinda heavy. Need to workout more.
    Remember High River!

I like it, and so does everyone who has shot it, but 1 thing don't shoot it 'wrong handed' I have a friend who shoots with me I am left he is right he shout the tavor 7 lefty and took the ejection thingie in the chin. Much better to take the 5 mins and convert it to 'proper' handed.

It's by far the most expensive gun I have owned... I am hoping I like it, because buyer's remorse at that price... Anyways, standby next week for a range report.

Been toying with the thought of buying one since they came to Canada. I still can't justify the price, though.

Thank you very much. My thoughts on Tavor:

Pros:
    - No question that the format is functional, especially in the context of advancing to contact for hours and hours when those pounds really add up. Being able to manoeuvre a rifle very easily because of the weight balance really makes sense, and will definitely lead to better results, especially for a soldier under 150 pounds.
    - Takes Stanag mags
    - Still NR for now.

Cons:
    - Ugly, which isnít just superficial. Troopsí morale goes up when they feel cool.
    - Insanely expensive.
    - Terrible trigger, which results in having to spend hundreds more on the already high sticker price to fix.
    - Mag location makes remedying stoppages harder, especially in the prone.
    I have no signature block.

Quote Originally Posted by shootemup604 View Post
    It's by far the most expensive gun I have owned... I am hoping I like it, because buyer's remorse at that price... Anyways, standby next week for a range report.
    you'll have no trouble selling it if you really don't like it. Maybe even at a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    Thank you very much. My thoughts on Tavor:

Pros:
    - No question that the format is functional, especially in the context of advancing to contact for hours and hours when those pounds really add up. Being able to manoeuvre a rifle very easily because of the weight balance really makes sense, and will definitely lead to better results, especially for a soldier under 150 pounds.
    - Takes Stanag mags
    - Still NR for now.

Cons:
    - Ugly, which isn’t just superficial. Troops’ morale goes up when they feel cool.
    - Insanely expensive.
    - Terrible trigger, which results in having to spend hundreds more on the already high sticker price to fix.
    - Mag location makes remedying stoppages harder, especially in the prone.
    Thanks, that last one is probably the most significant. As for looks - I actually think its cool because its ugly - function over form. And apparently the trigger is supposed to be better than on the early .556 versions, but you are right, it's at least $200-300 to upgrade the trigger.

Love my T7. Form and Fitnis excellent.
    Trigger is great as long as you don't expect a 2.5lb Timney pull.
    Does have a nice kick as it is a .308 but I find it very stable.
    I have a Leopold Prismatic on mine. Works fine for 25/50M but a 1x8 or 2x10 would be best 100M +.
    Great 37" Zombie rifle.

If you are worried about mag changes get a 50 round drum
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sabio; 11-06-2021 at 05:06 PM.
    Previously- Rivetc78 from CGN

11. The Following User Liked This Post By Sabio

Big-Boss-Man (11-06-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast