Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebc View Post
    Yes it is.

One possibility is to sell all restricteds, stock up on ammo and supplies, hand in your PAL, and drop off their radar screen permanently. Not saying it's ideal, but it's doable.

Regarding signing up for some sort of militia, if the US experience is any guide, at least half your members would be RCMP informants or undercover types. I do understand Swampdonkey's reservations.

Getting back to communications, there really is a need for secure comms. We DO have things we need to discuss, and some of them may be, shall we say, in contravention of the forums rules. But they need to be discussed anyway, unless we decide that the best strategy is to be a bunch of "grey men", acting alone.

So I understand how the mods and forum owners will clamp down hard on any discussions that could threaten their ability to maintain a website. It's a dilemma.
    Depends on how big the militia gets. I think they'd shut it down well before it got to a significant number, even if it was all just a symbolic gesture and no laws were being broken.

Steve,

It’s sad that the option you’re presenting actually seems reasonable. Giving up all your legal Restricteds and dumping your PAL obviously gets you off the legal radar, but carries with it all sorts of obvious potential risks.

I guess it depends on where you’re at in life. A 35yo with young kids would be risking everything, but if you’re 65 in a rural area, why not?
    I have no signature block.

3. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Petamocto

awndray (11-24-2021), infidel29 (11-27-2021), Swampdonkey (11-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    Steve,

It’s sad that the option you’re presenting actually seems reasonable. Giving up all your legal Restricteds and dumping your PAL obviously gets you off the legal radar, but carries with it all sorts of obvious potential risks.

I guess it depends on where you’re at in life. A 35yo with young kids would be risking everything, but if you’re 65 in a rural area, why not?
    I have actually noticed that happening alot the last few years out here. As long as you don't do anything stupid the cops won't bother you. I would stay close to half the people I know that have guns either have lapsed PALs or never bothered with them. Other than that, they are otherwise good law abiding people.

5. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By oilman28

Rory McCanuck (11-25-2021), Swampdonkey (11-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by The Outlaws View Post
    Let's be honest, it should be good guys like that organizing a militia.

Would you join if there were thousands signing up?
    Personaly I would be extremely paranoid about spies and undercover cops with a militia. If I was considering going that route, I would only do it with family and people I have known for a extremely long time.

7. The Following User Liked This Post By oilman28

stevebc (11-25-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by stevebc View Post
    Regarding signing up for some sort of militia, if the US experience is any guide, at least half your members would be RCMP informants or undercover types. I do understand Swampdonkey's reservations.
    And those undercover guys would be arguing with each other in a thread from the same office.

Quote Originally Posted by oilman28 View Post
    Personaly I would be extremely paranoid about spies and undercover cops with a militia. If I was considering going that route, I would only do it with family and people I have known for a extremely long time.
    I assume this would be a PAL only militia.

Would you and your family join if the numbers grew to a safe amount?
    Last edited by The Outlaws; 11-25-2021 at 03:03 AM.

Since Militias are legal
    In Canada it is against the law for an organized group to parade and train. I'll look for the relevant law reference later when I have the time, but this came up in the news years ago when some group in Ontario tried to form. So any "militia" formed would not be able to gather in any form similar the way the army does (i.e. form ranks) and would not be able to train with firearms or train to learn tactics.
    Our freedoms ARE the greater good.

Depends on how big the militia gets. I think they'd shut it down well before it got to a significant number, even if it was all just a symbolic gesture and no laws were being broken.
    The most staunch & stalwart defender of the American right to keep & bear arms is the NRA which is a political militia of sorts that has a legal defense department that would rival many Wall Street law firms.
    Most of the Canadian so-called pro gun orgs serve the personal agendas of their executive rather than the cause of defending their members gun rights.
    On the surface of things the Canadian org displaying the right characteristics to become a Canadian NRA is the CCFR led by Rod Giltaca.
    The CCFR is as politically active as its meager resources will permit with none of the tattooed, thuggish, white supremacist aspects of a modern day American militia.
    We would be much better served by supporting a polite and well mannered, suit & tie org like the CCFR lobbying Ottawa politicians to counter the constant barrage of lies of Cukier and her CFGC than going rogue, dropping our PALs and filling our gun safes with illegal ARs in the naive, hare brained, fallacious anticipation of a SHTF day when we would rise up and take it all back.
    This is a political fight more effectively fought in the political arena.
    Last edited by Gunrunner; 11-25-2021 at 06:05 AM.
    NFA member
    NRA Life Member
    OFAH member

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_M View Post
    In Canada it is against the law for an organized group to parade and train. I'll look for the relevant law reference later when I have the time, but this came up in the news years ago when some group in Ontario tried to form. So any "militia" formed would not be able to gather in any form similar the way the army does (i.e. form ranks) and would not be able to train with firearms or train to learn tactics.
    Section 70 of the CC.

As to militias and The Outlaws' apparent obsession with them, the term is used loosely in Canada but it largely describes the CF Reserve rather than independent armed groups of try-hard and would-be weekend commandos. The word isn't illegal, but you'd be hard pressed to find any reasonable law abiding person who will freely and openly discuss operating one.
    Last edited by awndray; 11-25-2021 at 06:14 AM.

13. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By awndray

Doug_M (11-25-2021), rgallant (11-26-2021), Soph (11-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by awndray View Post
    the term is used loosely in Canada but it largely describes the CF Reserve rather than independent armed groups
    Exactly. That change happened either during or right after WWII.

When I was a teenager I wanted to be a "machine gunner" after watching the 1987 TV show Tour of Duty. So I poked around and found out about the Militia (La Malice in French). I joined a militia unit called The Canadian Scottish Regiment (Princess Mary's) which of course was party of the CAF. All the literature used the word Militia to describe specifically the infantry reserves. The other type of units were called Army Reserve but infantry was specifically called the Militia. Some time that changed (late 90's maybe?) and "Militia" was dropped for infantry reserves and they fell under the umbrella term Army Reserves.
    Our freedoms ARE the greater good.

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast