Anyone Tried the Camelbak Urban Assualt?/Other Backpack Recommendations

Hey guys, so I want to get a new backpack for school as my laptop bag is a PITA. I was looking at the Camelbak Urban Assault and was wondering if anyone here has experience with it or can recommend any other backpacks? I need a backpack that can carry my laptop and my tablet and possibly occasionally my portable monitor (though now that I have a tablet that can work as a monitor), though I don't need a dedicated slot for that. I like that the slots for the laptop and tablet are not right against the back. I'd also like something with compartments for storing things like calculators and other supplies, as well as a water bottle. It would probably also double as a travel backpack (if we ever get to do that again...). Also if anyone here knows where to get this backpack or something similar in Canada that would be great as I can't find any retailers in Canada stocking it.

Thanks

I really like my 5.11 pack, tough as nails and rides comfortably. They have some options that might be up your alley.

Urban Tactical usually has a pretty good variety, but I find their pricing to be at the high end of the scale. They used to offer discounts for CF members, police, etc…. Not sure if they have any sort of student discount, but it might be worth looking into. Their construction wear branch ‘Hi Vis City’ gave me 10% off boots for having trade certification.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Targus Voyager or Swissgear 1900

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    I really like my 5.11 pack, tough as nails and rides comfortably. They have some options that might be up your alley.

Urban Tactical usually has a pretty good variety, but I find their pricing to be at the high end of the scale. They used to offer discounts for CF members, police, etc…. Not sure if they have any sort of student discount, but it might be worth looking into. Their construction wear branch ‘Hi Vis City’ gave me 10% off boots for having trade certification.
    Which 511 backpack did you go with? I will check out Urban Tactical and see if they offer a student discount, a lot of places do. I'm sort of expecting whatever I get to be expensive, between inflation and the extra cost of buying anything in Canada. Last time I bought a backpack was in the mid-late 2000's and it was 100 bucks even back then.

Quote Originally Posted by awndray View Post
    Targus Voyager or Swissgear 1900
    Thanks, I will check those out!

Osprey Farpoint 40?
    https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product...-FARPNT40.html

The small 38L used to fit on an airplane.
    It's got a laptop/tablet sleeve that's away from the body.
    It's got mesh pockets that you can put bottled water into.
    Last edited by RangeBob; 12-23-2021 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve MKII View Post
    Which 511 backpack did you go with? I will check out Urban Tactical and see if they offer a student discount, a lot of places do. I'm sort of expecting whatever I get to be expensive, between inflation and the extra cost of buying anything in Canada. Last time I bought a backpack was in the mid-late 2000's and it was 100 bucks even back then.

Thanks, I will check those out!
    I’ve got a Rush 72, which I think is way more pack than you’re looking for. It is a tough SOB though, and is easy enough on the back when stuffed full of hunting or camping accoutrements.

I just bring them up because I know they make a bunch of more urban orientated kit like you’re looking for.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

I use a 5.11 AMP 24 as my daily pack. I got it in the tungsten color and recently got the "covert panel" which replaces the molle panel. To pretty much anyone looking at it, it just looks like a normal non-tactical pack. I accidentally ended up with two of the packs (Urban Tactical is involved. PM me about that...) so I use one as my EDC bag and the other is my get home/hike out bag I toss in the truck when travelling in the remote backcountry.
    I'd rather make a difference than a dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    I’ve got a Rush 72, which I think is way more pack than you’re looking for. It is a tough SOB though, and is easy enough on the back when stuffed full of hunting or camping accoutrements.

I just bring them up because I know they make a bunch of more urban orientated kit like you’re looking for.
    I've heard good things about the Rush 72 and was thinking about one for a BOB, you're right though I'm definitely looking for something more geared towards urban admin EDC. Most of their stuff looks geared towards Military but it looks like they've got a couple more urban EDC packs.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingHigh View Post
    I use a 5.11 AMP 24 as my daily pack. I got it in the tungsten color and recently got the "covert panel" which replaces the molle panel. To pretty much anyone looking at it, it just looks like a normal non-tactical pack. I accidentally ended up with two of the packs (Urban Tactical is involved. PM me about that...) so I use one as my EDC bag and the other is my get home/hike out bag I toss in the truck when travelling in the remote backcountry.
    Thanks, I will have a look at that one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    Osprey Farpoint 40?
    https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product...-FARPNT40.html

The small 38L used to fit on an airplane.
    It's got a laptop/tablet sleeve that's away from the body.
    It's got mesh pockets that you can put bottled water into.
    Thanks. It looks like this one is available locally so I will go down and have a look at it, I much prefer to see it in person before I buy it to make sure it's what I'm looking for.