Second person charged in case of parcel containing firearm delivered to wrong address in Elliot Lake

Jan 10 2022
    Sudbury, Ontario

A second person has been charged in a case in which a firearm was delivered to the wrong address in Elliot Lake.

Ontario Provincial Police say a 43-year-old suspect, also from Elliot Lake, was involved in the case and has now been charged.

The incident began Dec. 20, when the OPP were contacted about a missing pistol. Police said a parcel containing the gun was delivered to the wrong address.

"The person at that address accepted the parcel regardless," police said, and refused several requests to return it.

They were charged with several offences, including obstruction, unauthorized possession of a firearm, possession of stolen property, escaping lawful custody, resisting a peace officer, two counts of failing to follow probation orders, opening someone else's mail and dangerous operation.

Then on Jan. 9, the second suspect was arrested. They are charged with unauthorized possession of a firearm, possession of property obtained by crime and opening mail that doesn't belong to them.

The accused is scheduled to appear in the Ontario Court of Justice in Elliot Lake on Feb. 1.

hxxps://northernontario.ctvnews.ca/second-person-charged-in-case-of-parcel-containing-firearm-delivered-to-wrong-address-in-elliot-lake-1.5734197

2. The Following 8 Users Like This Post By RangeBob

Aniest (01-12-2022), awndray (01-12-2022), Big-Boss-Man (01-13-2022), chrisc (01-14-2022), firemachine69 (01-14-2022), LCSulla (01-12-2022), Rory McCanuck (01-12-2022), stevebc (01-12-2022)

Elliot Lake resident charged with several offences after parcel delivered to wrong address

Dec 30 2021
    Sudbury, Ontario

A 39-year-old from Elliot Lake is facing eight charges after a parcel was incorrectly delivered and the suspect refused to return it.

Ontario Provincial Police made the arrest Dec. 29 at 3:30 p.m. at a commercial building on Hillside Drive North in Elliot Lake.

The investigation began Dec. 20, when police were called about a stolen pistol.

"The complainant reported that a parcel was wrongfully delivered to a different address," police said in a news release Thursday.

"The person at that address accepted the parcel regardless. Police attended that address to learn the homeowner had departed and refused to return the package."

Police made several attempts to have the homeowner return the package, but the suspect refused.

Charges include obstruction, unauthorized possession of a firearm, possession of stolen property, escaping lawful custody, resisting a peace officer, two counts of failing to follow probation orders, opening someone else's mail and dangerous operation.

The accused is scheduled to appear in the Ontario Court of Justice bail court in Blind River on Thursday.

hxxps://northernontario.ctvnews.ca/elliot-lake-resident-charged-with-several-offences-after-parcel-delivered-to-wrong-address-1.5723500

4. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By RangeBob

Aniest (01-12-2022), awndray (01-12-2022), stevebc (01-12-2022)

If a couple idiots got a delivery of a handgun and it clearly wasn’t theirs they have to be world class village idiots not to give it back or turn it in. Especially if they have a record which they clearly do. I mean how did they even begin to think that this wasn’t going to come back on them?

The escaping custody charge means there is a much more entertaining story in the details on this.

Jesus
    Calvin Martin, Q.C. 1933 - 2014

I would like to apologize to anyone i have not offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

6. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Strangeday

chrisc (01-14-2022), Doug_M (01-13-2022), stevebc (01-12-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Strangeday View Post
    If a couple idiots got a delivery of a handgun and it clearly wasn’t theirs they have to be world class village idiots not to give it back or turn it in. Especially if they have a record which they clearly do. I mean how did they even begin to think that this wasn’t going to come back on them?

The escaping custody charge means there is a much more entertaining story in the details on this.

Jesus
    Come on Man! they are from Idiot Lake after all!

Apparently it was destined to become a ghost town until they recently made it into a retirement village with lots of free residual background radiation.

https://retireelliotlake.com/

In Elliot Lake, your dollar goes further.

Offering the most affordable retirement lifestyle in Ontario, with rents from as little as $635.00 per month you can afford to do the things you have always wanted to, in your retirement.

About Us

Elliot Lake has become one of the most popular retirement communities in Ontario due to its modern infrastructure, affordable housing and the pristine natural environment that surrounds the community and the quality of life that people experience while living in accommodations supplied and managed by Elliot Lake Retirement Living.

Elliot Lake Retirement Living has been offering modern accommodations at unbelievable value for 30 years. We own 1,375 rental units in the City of Elliot Lake, offering an excellent variety of accommodation styles for you to choose from. Whether you choose an apartment suite at one of our many apartment complexes, or a townhome or home you are sure to enjoy your retirement lifestyle, free from the worry of upkeep and maintenance.

Is there still uranium in Elliot Lake?

Elliot Lake area. There are 12 inactive uranium mine sites and 10 uranium tailings management area in and around Elliot Lake, Ontario. All of the Elliot Lake uranium mines were brought into production between 1955 and 1958.

Is Elliot Lake still radioactive?

Large quantities of radioactive waste rock and tailings remained from the decades of mining and milling process. This refuse still contains 85 % of the original radioactivity in the form of uranium progeny such as thorium-230 or radium-226 and gives off at least 10,000 times as much radon gas as the undisturbed ore.

As a lasting legacy of the “golden age” of uranium mining, the radioactive tailings of Elliot Lake pose a major threat to the environment of the Great Lakes region and the health of its inhabitants. Many hundreds of miners have already succumbed to the long-term effects of radiation exposure and tens of thousands more deaths are expected as a result of radioactive pollution in the coming decades.

A study found a threefold increase in the risk of cancer among uranium miners. As a result of this evidence, the Steel Workers Union of America warn*ed miners against working in Elliot Lake’s mines. The union’s environmental representative, Paul Falkowski stated in 1976: “If anybody does not like to go to the hospital with lung cancer, he should have a very close look at the Elliot Lake situation before he signs on.”

A company specialized in radioactive waste management calculated in 1992 that the radon gas released through uranium mining in Elliot Lake would cause an effective collective dose of 10 million Person-Sievert. Over the course of a thousand years, the radon gas alone would therefore be responsible for 2,300 to 26,000 deadly cases of cancer, although this number could well increase by a factor of 1,000 through erosion and other environmental influences. Aquatic and airborne releases from the uranium tailings are expected to cause an additional 1,600 to 24,400 cancer deaths over a 1,000-year period in the region. Not accounted for in these calculations are accidental spills, such as the two million liters of tailings from the Stanleigh uranium mine that polluted Elliot lake in August 1993. Regardless of how many cancers are eventually caused by radioactive pollution from uranium mining, every single case constitutes a calamity for the affected person and his or her family. Every case of cancer that is caused by this exposure is one too many.

Adding to this already worrying development, radioactive waste rock was used in the construction of homes in Elliot Lake well into the 1970s. Acceptable levels of radon contamination were exceeded by about 20 times. Studies by the Elliot Lake Environmental Assessment Board demonstrated that indoor radon levels would result in a 30 % rise in the incidence of lung cancer. As a result, the city had to react and began installing free fans under floorboards in order to constantly blow radon gas out of the houses.

The BCMA condemned the negligence in the construction of houses from radioactive waste as “tantamount to allowing an industrially induced epidemic of cancer.” A 1982 report published by the Canadian Atomic Energy Control Board estimated a 40 % increase in lung cancer for inhabitants of these contaminated houses.

The town of Elliot Lake fell into decay and many moved away. Those who stayed continue to suffer from decades of occupational radiation exposure, contamination of soil, water and air through mine waste and uranium tailings, and high concentrations of residential radon. Meaningful epidemiological research has not been done to this day. The people of Elliot Lake have become Hibakusha, developing cancer and other radiation-induced diseases because their health was considered less important than cheap uranium for nuclear weapons and nuclear power plants.
    Warning! some sarcasm, facetious and jovial behavior, satire, irony, dry humor, playful banter and more may or may not be involved in my postings. Please read anything I have written as being said in the most joyful and happy voice you can imagine.

To whom it may concern: I hereby declare I am not responsible for the debts incurred by one Justin Trudeau!

Lmao, wtf did they think was going to happen??

9. The Following User Liked This Post By Stephen

Strangeday (01-13-2022)

"think" not sure that applies

11. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Stew

Big-Boss-Man (01-13-2022), M1917 Enfield (01-13-2022), Rory McCanuck (01-14-2022)

I visited Elliot Lake once, back in the 70s. It wasn't just a mining town, it was the gateway to the Deep Woods. Lots of logging activity starting just 10 miles north of there.

Someone who worked at the Denison mine took me up to a knoll overlooking the tailing pond. It covered maybe 80 acres? And who knows how deep. The vibe from it was ominous, I don't know how to say it any better than that. Met some nice people there, but I was glad to leave.

I think of that pond when people start going on about 'green' this and 'green' that, and silently wish the people of Mongolia good luck with their rare earth tailings, the byproducts of our thirst for 'green' machines that incorporate the latest magnets and batteries.

13. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By LB303

M1917 Enfield (01-14-2022), Rory McCanuck (01-14-2022)

Haha, I would like the look on his face when charged.