Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    What a beauty! And what a story!

Amazing that something like this can continue in one family for 150 years. You are very fortunate.

I had an Owlhead .32 for a teething-ring because there was no rubber available for a teething-ring, even though my Dad was an Aircraft Factory Inspector at the time. ALL the rubber went to the War effort. Dad swiped a roll of green Scotch tape from the factory and wrapped the gutta-percha grips in it, and that was what I cut my first teeth on, very early in 1945.

The gun was one that the Town Sheriff in Viking had taken away from a ne'er-do-well of some sort and given to my Dad about 1930. It was stolen during our move from Edmonton to here in 1955. It was a twin to the little Owlhead in Jan's picture above.

That Colt is really nice! Have you shot it?

J Parkers & Brothers.
    Real beauty in my books.

Banned
    [IMG][/IMG]

Brothers Colt Model 1849 31cal Pocket and model 1860, 44cal Army.

Cheers!

Yeah I figured the picture of my dad teething on the gun might get a few people to wonder

Sadly long before my dad was teething on the gun, the gun suffered a nasty hairline fracture to the frame. By the time by dad came along the gun was reduced to a paperweight. When my father was a kid the Colt was reduced to a toy the kids played "cowboys and indians" with.

The gun had quite a history. Purchased for a man who was a soldier in the civil war by his family (civilian purchase). It was then given to his son as the son made his way across the United States in a covered wagon. Eventually reached my Great Grandfather who made his way from Oregon to Canada in a covered wagon.
    Last edited by Drache; 12-19-2013 at 07:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twosteam View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]

janice
    Quote Originally Posted by Smellie View Post
    The baby at the left side of Janice's last photo is an Iver Johnson Arms and Cycle Works .32 S&W Short breaktop, a little Owlhead.

Too bad it's a Prohib; it was my Mom's favourite.

It lives with the Big Guys because it's a Vet, too. It was the Town Police Pistol here, many years ago, was used in the arrest of an escaped killer, right in the coffee shop of the old Alexandra Hotel. Cst. Jim Boulton, gone these many years, was the arresting officer.

Many years later, when the Town was cleaning up its office, the gun was discovered. Somebody remembered what it was and it was disposed of to a local RCMP officer who was a collector. My Mom begged it from him because she thought it was pretty. It usually lives in the Crown Royal whiskey bag it arrived here in.

It is indeed sad that something such as this, a very real artifact from our history, should have to end up at Dofasco, being smelted down, because Toronto cannot bring itself to control its "innocent minority youths" and their dope-dealing, violent gangs.

This little thing still has not fired 100 rounds in its 100-odd years in town.

Maybe it's time to head for the range......
    That little .32 reminds me of the closest thing I have to an antique. It's a deactivated Forehand Model 1901 that was bought for me at a local military surplus store. Unfortunately I don't know the history of it, other than it was found with an old man's personal effects after he died and deactivated by his son, but I imagine it would have some good stories to tell. It really kills me that I'll never be able to take it to the range and give it a workout.

Obligatory pic:
    I like guns.

An old and odd-ball 10 shot .50 cal muzzle loader.
    Not mine, but had to share, imagine smithing and building this thing way back. Now imagine holding it to fire off the relay, FFS.
    I'm not sure if this is 5 barrels a side, two trigger for each side relay, or the strikers strike both side double barreling in single pull or a sweep of the striker all through.
    it's cap and ball muzzle loader, but i bet you could load this thing with everything from rocks, nuts 'n bolt to spare change.
    Now this is one you hold gangster for best spread results.
    Last edited by ReignCzech; 01-02-2014 at 01:38 PM.
    "The people in power ensure you are perpetually mislead and manipulated. The majority's perception of reality is not their own. It's shrewdly imposed upon them. The last thing the men behind the curtain want is a conscious informed public, capable of critical thinking. Which is why a continually fraudulent circus is output, via religion, mass media, political arena and educational system. To maintain to keep the masses in a distracted naive bubble. A damn good job of it, it is."

Do any more pictures exist of that monster?

Does it have a name?

Sure as heck impressive, I'll say that!

Thanks for posting.

This one Smellie got me for Christmas this year.
    This beauty was made by H. Holland.
    .44 cal, Apropriate trigger drops when you cock a hammer, pin-fire.
    janice
    Last edited by Twosteam; 01-02-2014 at 05:09 AM.
    Ahhh Grasshopper, (shakes head) but consistency is the sign of a stagnant mind.

This is a bit of barrel detail for the gun above.
    janice

[IMG][/IMG]

and a shot of the bottom to show the Triggers.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Twosteam; 01-02-2014 at 04:47 AM.
    Ahhh Grasshopper, (shakes head) but consistency is the sign of a stagnant mind.

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    that little iron is a work of art Janice!

Here is one of my first, and actually a favorite that I wish I had kept.
    A Spanish Bascaran 6 shooter in .44 Russian. It traveled on my hip for a lot of fencing when I was cutting a line through the west bush on my home piece.
    A bit smaller than a SAA it balanced just right and put them where you wanted @ 15yds. it had one ear on the ratchet with a ding so it wouldn't quite index right on that chamber and would shave a hair off the bullet so I kept that one empty with the hammer on it.
    well I guess we can't keep em all...

We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast