Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Frustration!!! What Happened To Iron Sights?

I am in the market for a new/used hunting rifle, likely in 308 or 30-06, but a requirement is Iron sights and bolt action.

I am willing to spend up to about $700, but apparently the manufacturers don't want my money....

This is going to be a camp/quad gun, and I don't want a show piec, and would be happy with many of the entry level rifles out there, but none of these manufacturers make anything with Irons!

I'm either spending more than I want or. Buying something older than I would like.

Right now it's looking like my best option is a used Browning BLR but I am really hoping for a bolt gun.

Seems that my options are older Ruger, or Winchester rifles, but I hate buying sight unseen, and the local shops have nothing.

Since when did Irons become obsolete? I don't believe in putting all my eggs in one basket so to speak, but I guess the new generation is so dependant on technology a scope is their only option.

Just venting my frustrations, and fishing for ideas, or offers.
    You may not like guns, and choose not to own one. That is your right. You may not believe in God. That is your choice. However, if someone breaks into your home, the first 2 things you are gonna do are 1) Call someone with a gun, and 2) Pray that they arrive quick enough to save you.

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    if you wanted to spend a bit more...and shoot a .270...I have a Finnbear with irons...

course I'm still thinking it should be a 330-06...
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

Not willing to spend anymore. Might be willing to go with a .270 but I don't need a flat shooter, just some power if I ever draw a moose tag.

Hell I'd like to spend less, and like I said, there is plenty of decent guns like the TC Venture, or even Tikka T3 that I would love, but no Irons!

I guess I am just crazy for wanting such a barbaric sighting system on a gun.

Bottom line is scopes fail, and even the best of them have limits to the abuse they will take. Strapping a gun to the rack on my quad, and not worrying about it is what I am after!

Hell where I'm hunting it's typically thick woods so any typical magnified scope is a hinderance IMHO.

People are ridiculous when I see them in the bush with a 3-9 which is pretty much standard these days.

I guess I am just an idiot, cuz these manufacturers must know right?
    You may not like guns, and choose not to own one. That is your right. You may not believe in God. That is your choice. However, if someone breaks into your home, the first 2 things you are gonna do are 1) Call someone with a gun, and 2) Pray that they arrive quick enough to save you.

Banned
    Sooo What's wrong with the .303 Enfield? Just curious.

EDIT -- For the record, if you do find one, and decide you dont want it - PM me. Im looking for a second unscoped version myself.....
    Last edited by YukonLeftie; 03-06-2013 at 07:47 PM.

"One more time into the fray, to the last good fight I'll ever know. Live and die on this day. LIVE and DIE on this day!"

the Ruger M77 Hawkeye has iron sights i believe.
    I'd rather make a difference than a dollar.

The Savage Brush Hunter or Hog hunter would be absolutely perfect, however they. Are backordered all across the country.

I almost bought one in .338 win mag on the EE but I just don't want to get into a belted magnum, as I really don't need it.

As for the M77 Hawkeye, they are out of my price range. I have found a few older ones with the Tang safety but they are typically overpriced for what they are. The ones that are priced right never come with irons.

I'm telling you, there is nothing out there right now.

I might even consider a prize for anyone who can find me something....

"One more time into the fray, to the last good fight I'll ever know. Live and die on this day. LIVE and DIE on this day!"

Canadian ForcesShort end of the Ban Stick normmus's Avatar
    You can get a new CZ with iron sights.

Best so far is a 700BDl at Williams Arms, but it has a raised comb that is not ideal for irons.

Still looking.....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast