Strange PU-ish scope mount

I was at a friends place the other day and we were digging through some of his stuff. He pulled out this scope and mount and I immediately thought that it was a PU, except that it wasn't.

The receiver mount looks like a PU type, save that it is not drilled for the locking screws

The scope mount is low - much lower than a PU, and the rings look to be under an inch. The scope itself has a small objective, a very fine german post reticle, and an amber colour.

There are marks and a serial on the scope, though they are hard to make out, and the mount only has 1943 stamped into it.

So what exactly have we got here?

Next time I see him I'll take my sniping rifle over and see if the scope will both attach to my mount, and clear the receiver

IMG_4234.HEIC.jpg

IMG_4233.HEIC.jpg

IMG_4231.HEIC.jpg
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

2. The Following User Liked This Post By Mark-II

Rory McCanuck (04-09-2022)

Note this photo is as I found it, with the scope mount on the base backwards and the scope upside-down in the rings

IMG_4228.HEIC.jpg
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

I took my sniping rifle over to try this scope on it.

The scope in its mount does indeed interface with the Mosin PU

BUT

The scope is practically brushing against the top of the cocking piece - there is no way that you can run the action. Also, the scope ends up sitting just to the left of the centerline of the rifle. Plus the PU type base itself is just slightly less tall than the base bolted to the rifle. The angle of the main fixing screw is also substantially different than the PU.

I can only conclude that this is a sporting rifle mount of some sort that is meant for a much smaller rifle. Perhaps a .22, or perhaps something other than a bolt action be it pump, semi-auto, lever, or whatever, and that whatever it is, it was for whatever reason, inspired by the Soviet PU system.

I took some comparative photos, if there's any interest, but this thread is dead, so this is really just the epilogue.

Just another odd bit of hardware, lost to time.

Possibly for the svt40?
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    Possibly for the svt40?
    The SVT mount is very different. Uses the very strangely located milled ‘rails’ that they all possessed before they were deleted by war measures.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

There are .22 Mosin trainers. Maybe it's for them?

Canadian ForcesMember Billythreefeathers's Avatar
    it's a Mosin PU scope,,,

if it touches the bolt handle the mount needs to be shimmed

did this on my last Mosin PU
    Never trust a skinny TANKER

I spent an hour or more the other night trying to find another mount that matched that specifically, and came up with nothing
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold