Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.
    Starting with the front stock sling ferrule. Loosen up the screw before trying to put it on.
    IMG_0977.jpg
    As luck would have it (not) it still would not fit. I tapped it with a hammer but nada. The imprint made by the tapping on the front of the stock showed me where I had to remove some wood. A sharp Olfa blade and some patience (it is early, I have some here) and it was ready to go. Tap tap a tap and it was on. Tighten the screw snug, not stupid tight.

IMG_0978.jpg
    GET OFF MY LAWN!

2. The Following User Liked This Post By FALover

Aniest (05-26-2022)

The rear sling swivel is next. Why they call it a swivel I do not know as it has no movement whatsoever. Make sure you have it facing the right way. When you post photos of your first classic build and you have it in backwards, you will get flamed.

IMG_0979.jpg

Now on goes the butt plate. This fit nicely. Start the screws and tighten them evenly. The small wood screw can be a beeatch at times. If it gives a fight just keep at it but try not to impale any body parts when the screwdriver slips. Maybe drill out the hole a wee bit but I use a little grease to lubricate the screw as it cuts through that dry hardwood. I start with long machine screw first as you may have to move the sling thing up or down to get it started.

IMG_0982.jpg

WOW! the second major group of your Garand is done. Pat yerself on the back and grab a cold one, you deserve it.

IMG_0981.jpg
    GET OFF MY LAWN!

4. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By FALover

Aniest (05-26-2022), Camo tung (06-15-2022), R&R Rancher (05-26-2022)

So that leaves the last group to be finished, the barrel/receiver group. Start with something simple, the clip latch release. First get the three pieces together.
    IMG_0983.jpg
    Give them all a light coating of grease. The spring has larger coils at one end. that end gets placed in the latch. Small end goes towards the receiver. Place the latch in the receiver and install latch pin. It has a thingy that is bigger than the rest of the pin that lets you know which end goes in last.
    IMG_0984.jpg
    It has to be inserted as far as possible so use a small punch or screwdriver to nudge it into place. (the tip of a bullet works as well)

IMG_0985.jpg
    And that's that.

GET OFF MY LAWN!

6. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By FALover

Aniest (05-26-2022), Dewey Cox (05-26-2022), Stew (06-01-2022)

Sorry for the delays folks. I have been cursed with a rear handguard that has no intention of following orders. I have tried many different handguard clips but nothing works. As it would just be my luck I only have the one here until others show up. I will not be bothered to try and sand out the inside of the guard to get it to fit. I am just that pizzed off. No need to show photos of my failure.

This part is needed because without it you cant install the lower band which holds the front handguard in place which in turn allows the gas cylinder to be installed then the gas cylinder lock, the lock screw and then all the parts used for the rifles internal parts.

GET OFF MY LAWN!

8. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By FALover

Aniest (05-31-2022), Stew (06-01-2022)

What a clusterfugue this build has become. The handguard that I had ordered finally showed up and it looks like it was a reject from a grade eight woodworking project. Dealer is going to get a new orfice in the morning. Clip does not fit, profile is all wrong and there are pencil marks all over it where somebody did not bother to fit it to the proper parts. Looks like a call to Boyd's is in order to get one or two that will work.

p.s. this is not a Boyd's part.

Azzholes!
    GET OFF MY LAWN!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789