Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.
    I would blue whatever possible. If the plating was gone and you were down to bare metal, It would look cool if sandblasted and then parkerized.
    GET OFF MY LAWN!

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    Glad you came up with the answers you were looking for bud. Sorry I wasn't much help with the spring steel. It's just something I've never really messed around with. After having a brief discussion with one of the guys at the old Associated Spring plant in Burlington Ontario years ago, I realized that springs are an entire science of their own if you want them to work and last. I never really pursued it any further than that. I look forward to seeing this project progress.
    Cheapest and easiest way to get hold of flat spring steel stock is to use one of or part of one of the long steel strand forks of a garden leaf rake or if you have a powered city street sweeper with their big wire broom come and do your street and curbs after the winter to clear away the sand and small stones that get spread all winter by the other city salt and sand trucks, just look in your street curbs straight after the come through and you will find a bunch, I collected about 2 dozen broken and about 4mm wide, 1.5 to 2mm thick and between 8 and 10" long broken off strands by just walking along my street last year for my spare spring stock. They are very good spring steel and snap cleanly when bent at about 90 degrees and I have used them to repair broken triggers springs on at least one old gun. I heat them up with a small propane torch to bend them to shape after cutting them to size and then re-heat treat them to get the right spring temper again.
    Warning! some sarcasm, facetious and jovial behavior, satire, irony, dry humor, playful banter and more may or may not be involved in my postings. Please read anything I have written as being said in the most joyful and happy voice you can imagine.

To whom it may concern: I hereby declare I am not responsible for the debts incurred by one Justin Trudeau!

Hacksaw blades make good spring steel.
    "We know they are lying. They know they are lying. They know that we know they are lying. We know that they know that we know they are lying.

And still they continue to lie." - Alexander Solzhenitsyn

4. The Following User Liked This Post By stevebc

Strangeday (05-04-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by stevebc View Post
    Hacksaw blades make good spring steel.
    I tried hacksaw blades in the past and found them two brittle when bending to shape and hard to cut and form into old gun small flat springs.
    Warning! some sarcasm, facetious and jovial behavior, satire, irony, dry humor, playful banter and more may or may not be involved in my postings. Please read anything I have written as being said in the most joyful and happy voice you can imagine.

To whom it may concern: I hereby declare I am not responsible for the debts incurred by one Justin Trudeau!

6. The Following User Liked This Post By M1917 Enfield

stevebc (04-25-2022)

So after having great success with bluing the first few parts my next batch turned out splotchy and you could almost run the bluing off.
    Youtube and Larry Potterfield from Midway USA to the rescue.
    I had gotten it right COMPLETELY by accident the first time. I had degreased the parts and applied the solution a couple of times and got the results I was looking for. The second batch I followed the same procedure and results were MEH!
    When you are using cold bluing rinse the parts in HOT water, pat dry, apply solution, rinse in hot water and dry. repeat until you get the desired results. On my first attempt the tap had been running for a bit so water was hot and the batch time it was tepid.
    Redid the second batch and here are the results...MUCH better.
    Hand, Trigger and Cam.png
    CFSC and CRFSC Instructor to Santa

8. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By greywolf67nt

Aniest (04-27-2022), FALover (04-25-2022)

Now the trigger guard was in ROUGH shape.
    Bluing missing and pitting all over.
    Some file work and ever finer sand paper got it back to acceptable condition. It isn't perfect but hey it can only be new once.
    I did wind up with a tiny dip in the one side because the pitting was so deep but unless you put a straight edge on it you won't see it (well I will because I know it's there and KNOW I will point it out to anyone that sees it in person "now here's where I F$%&ed up")
    Trigger Guard 3.png

10. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By greywolf67nt

Aniest (04-27-2022), CGO (04-25-2022), Swingerguy (04-25-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by greywolf67nt View Post
    So after having great success with bluing the first few parts my next batch turned out splotchy and you could almost run the bluing off.
    Youtube and Larry Potterfield from Midway USA to the rescue.
    I had gotten it right COMPLETELY by accident the first time. I had degreased the parts and applied the solution a couple of times and got the results I was looking for. The second batch I followed the same procedure and results were MEH!
    When you are using cold bluing rinse the parts in HOT water, pat dry, apply solution, rinse in hot water and dry. repeat until you get the desired results. On my first attempt the tap had been running for a bit so water was hot and the batch time it was tepid.
    Redid the second batch and here are the results...MUCH better.
    Hand, Trigger and Cam.png
    If those parts were previously colour casehardened they will not blue well unless you remove all the case hardening layer off first.

Quote Originally Posted by M1917 Enfield View Post
    If those parts were previously colour casehardened they will not blue well unless you remove all the case hardening layer off first.
    I thought they were at first but they were just covered with 100+ years of gunk.
    They look way better in person than in the picture.
    Last edited by greywolf67nt; 04-26-2022 at 07:53 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12