Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Pricing for original Lee Enfield

Morning everyone,
    I'm hoping for some guidance. My son is very interested in milsurp rifles. He's bought a Mosin Nagant which he loves, and he's hoping to buy an original Lee Enfield now. Something like this -
    - https://greatnorthgunco.ca/product/l...d-shtle-iii-2/
    He's found others like he wants around the $1400-$1600 mark. Are these prices decent for this type of rifle? He's 17, so I don't want him spending his hard earned money on something way overpriced.
    I'm just not knowledgeable enough about these to say. And there are so many variations, altered ones that a constant price is difficult to find.
    Thanks in advance,
    Ken

You can get them cheaper @ online auctions for ~$800 for non sporterized and ~$250 for sporters (stock butchered)

Quote Originally Posted by KleeR View Post
    You can get them cheaper @ online auctions for ~$800 for non sporterized and ~$250 for sporters (stock butchered)
    Where?!

Unfortunately, demand for milsurps has skyrocketed in the last decade. All numbers matching SMLE’s or No. 4 Mk I/I*’s went for around $400 prior to 2010 or so now get sold in the range of $1000 and up.
    Good condition shooters (non matching numbered guns) can be had for under $800 but they go fast too. As stated above, auctions may be a source of finding what your son wants, but bidding can get crazy.
    If I were starting out, I’d watch “Bloke On the Range” or Forgotten Weapons to gain knowledge of what to look for.
    Here’s one to watch:

Good luck, once you get a single enfield they tend to multiply.

Oh, another great info source is a gentleman whose handle on CGN is “louthepou”, who rescues & rebuilds enfields. I’ve purchased 2 of his refurbs, he does excellent work and often sells these for good value.

Edit: OP, I notice you are in NW Alberta. If you can meander down to Red Deer for the next gun show (upcoming soon), there will be some nice Enfields there, based on what was shown at the Easter Show in Calgary. My rat bastard brother (Edmontonian) reported seeing many there.
    Last edited by GTW; 04-30-2022 at 09:39 AM.
    Justin Trudeau - living proof that shit can step in itself.

Canadian ForcesMember
    The bug has bitten again. Please remember that just because the term "Enfield" has been attached to a rifle, it may not be a "Lee-Enfield". There are, by my count, about 60 different types of rifle of this type in general. They are known to the British as the No1, No2, No4, No5, No7, No8, and No9. No. is their abbreviation for number. There are also various "Mark" or "Mk" variations. There are many variations to the rifle names. This is complicated by those living south of the 49th parallel who seem incapable of understanding that not all are an "SMLE".

I now own more than 40 different variations of this rifle series and am still looking for others. If you wish to PM me, we could exchange info.
    Waiting for first light. Shook hands with the devil.

6. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By Tonsper

Aniest (04-30-2022), GTW (04-30-2022), Northshore (04-30-2022), stevebc (04-30-2022)

I've lost track of time lately. Thanks for the great info.
    It's helped a lot.
    Ken

Was offered $1200 for mine. Seems a little light...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Previously- Rivetc78 from CGN

9. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Sabio

M1917 Enfield (05-16-2022), stevebc (05-16-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Sabio View Post
    Was offered $1200 for mine. Seems a little light...
    Agreed. With today's prices, for that rifle, I'd have to start at $2K.
    "We know they are lying. They know they are lying. They know that we know they are lying. We know that they know that we know they are lying.

And still they continue to lie." - Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by stevebc View Post
    Agreed. With today's prices, for that rifle, I'd have to start at $2K.
    Sold for $1800
    Previously- Rivetc78 from CGN

12. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Sabio

stevebc (05-29-2022), Swingerguy (05-29-2022), Tonsper (05-29-2022)